Gaters.net - Now with extra backups

Go Back   Gaters.net - Now with extra backups > General Forum > Stargate Discussion

Old 09-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Missy
Throbbing Member

Missy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Missy
Thumbs up The Great "First Contact" Thread - Spoilers 5x10

hmmm interesting one. Heck of a cliff hanger.

Cool to see Daniel back - still his grumpy, cynical self I see. I was always so dissapointed he went down that route the last few seasons. He was just continually pissed off. Then again, if I had to deal with Cameron and Vala I would have been too (though I'd put up with Vala cause she was hella cute).

Have to say it felt a bit weird, though, seeing the two of them (meaning Rodney, of course) working together. I dont know, it feels out of place for Daniel to be there, even knowing that a) of course he's still working with the SGC and b) knew about Janis's work well before the SGA teams did. *shrug* just culture shock, maybe.

Anyway, cool device. Nice new toys for the boys to play with - about time too, we were lacking in 'Lantean discoveries. It was starting to feel like a scavanger hunt there for a while, only finding wriath or replicator tech.

But boy, those side effects SUCK. I don't have much sympathy for the team on the Deadalus, but damn, that last scene in the Atlantis tower? weeeeeee!!

And come on - those armoured guys? they're TOTALLY Ancients. And I'm pretty sure Danny boy knows it.

Stellar ep. Fractured, slow to start, a bit mishmashed and tring to follow too many plot lines at once, but cool all the same.

Now, let me see. Ep 10. We're going to have wait 4 months to see the conclusion, aren't we?

fuck. And I was only just starting to get back in to the SGA groove. Worse knowing that now, there's only 10 more eps, evar.

sigh
Old 09-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
neshster
Large Member

neshster will become famous soon enough

Man, so Todd is either really really old or has read up on quite a lot of stuff if he immediately know what the device was by its effects and also its name. "Atero device" was it?

The bit of causality in the "previously" bit at the beginning leads me to think there's definitely some time travel coming up as well.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
taz
Bored now... leaving.

taz will become famous soon enoughtaz will become famous soon enough

I would say that was just to remind us of who Janus was, i don't think that there'll be time travel... maybe a bit of flashback though?

Todd could easily be that old I think. They never really addressed the issue of old age in wraith and they do hibernate so could live for quite a while? Or else it's a bit of wraith lore.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
neshster
Large Member

Makes sense.

So who are the suited guys? I'm not too sure about them being ancients.

Firstly, they'd know how to activate the device themselves if they were.

Second, based on what we've seen, it seems unlikely that they'd just barge in, make big holes through floors and kidnap people.

Third, they'd have wayy better personal shields than the one that couldn't stand up to a few machine guns.

Fourth, the technology that went into the suit would have been quickly recognized by Radik and McKay.

Now, mind you, they might very well end up being ancients for some non-obvious reason but it seems unlikely from what we've seen so far.

I wonder about those suits though - could it just be some atmospheric issue? That seems odd that something that appears to be human-oid wouldn't be able to tolerate an atmosphere designed for humans. Maybe it's a Vader-esque portable life support machine and the guys inside are some really freaking old ancients that didn't bother going into stasis?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
teen
Throbbing Member

teen will become famous soon enough

My vote goes for robot men being ancients in the same way Darth Anubis was Anubis

Great episode!

But what's going to happen next? I reckon some other ancients will magically fix everything.

Last edited by teen; 09-28-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
taz
Bored now... leaving.

taz will become famous soon enoughtaz will become famous soon enough

my hope is maybe we'll finally get to see some furlings, but i think they might be a technically advanced human race from pegasus. One that was in hiding from the wraith since the early days. Perhaps some thing happened them in the past that they need the suits now.

Plus I don't think the shield died against the machine gun fire, i think the suit dropped it when his friends got away. He knew he couldn't be taken alive.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:33 AM   #7
Missy
Throbbing Member

There's no question that Todd knows about the device - don't forget, he was the one stuck on the desert planet in.. um.. whats was it called? The season 1 ep with the light bugs... Anyways, point is, he was around when the siege of atlantis was going down, and thus, when Janis was doing his dohickey experiements, and something so devastating to the wraith would either a) be VERY well known or b) would have been quite accurately recorded... told as a scary bedtime story to baby wraith, perhaps...

He was quick to jump to conclusions about the Lanteans. He's such a sly dog - he'd have been waiting for ANY excuse to take over that ship I reckon. That glow stick device is quite a neat one - doubt it's standard wraith issue, either, or we'd have seen them being used a lot more in the past.

nesh - nah man, those guys knew too much. Lantean ship that passed through the shield? Knew exact location, what to look for, and how to get there? They're either in league with Janis, or are Janis's watchdogs, although wanting to get the device online asap made me wonder about motives and allegiances.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:46 AM   #8
neshster
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
nesh - nah man, those guys knew too much. Lantean ship that passed through the shield? Knew exact location, what to look for, and how to get there? They're either in league with Janis, or are Janis's watchdogs, although wanting to get the device online asap made me wonder about motives and allegiances.
So freaking old dudes that didn't go into stasis, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshster View Post
Maybe it's a Vader-esque portable life support machine and the guys inside are some really freaking old ancients that didn't bother going into stasis?
Wait, Todd was the guy on the desert planet? Wasn't Todd the one that helped Sheppard escape the Genii????

According to IMDB, the next episode is in 2 weeks: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1252200/

Last edited by neshster; 09-29-2008 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
Missy
Throbbing Member

oh yeah you're right, sorry. i got confusseled.

also very stoked to hear they're continuing the season so quickly. Ver unlike them, wonder whats behind that decision...? not complaining mind you!!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #10
soulblade64
Could kill AAMI Insurance

soulblade64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to soulblade64

As much as I don't want Zelenka to die... I think the whole "We're gonna leave you in a cliffhanger, but everyone will miraculously survive" thing is starting to piss me off... and they won't kill sheppard.