Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > geeks?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
carl
Stargazer

geeks?

I was wondering today, do any of you guys get called 'geeks' or the like for liking Stargate or SCIFI in general?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 09-08-2002 09:21 AM
carl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carl Click here to Send carl a Private Message Visit carl's homepage! Find more posts by carl Add carl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shaneo

Nope, i never get called a geek for liking Stargate. It's largely popular around here so just about everyone likes and watches it. Besides people aren't that mean around here.. Oh life is perfect

Old Post 09-08-2002 09:46 AM
Shaneo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shaneo Click here to Send Shaneo a Private Message Visit Shaneo's homepage! Find more posts by Shaneo Add Shaneo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Queen Lou
I'm singing in the rain..

yeah I do sometimes but more often I'm called a square cos I do well in school

*waves* hi any real sg people out there, and AT

Last edited by Queen Lou on 09-13-2002 at 08:40 AM

Old Post 09-08-2002 10:07 AM
Queen Lou is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Queen Lou Click here to Send Queen Lou a Private Message Find more posts by Queen Lou Add Queen Lou to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chameleon
Negotiator of Chaos

The thing about it is that to each and every one of us Geek could mean anything. Geek to me is a person who....how can i put this nicely..........is on the computer 24/7 it doesn't have to be anything to do with the internet it could be a programer. But then geek in another way to be is a person who plays warhammer and goes to games workshop in parramatta level 2 and plays on a saturday and thursday night with all the other werido's there. Geek could be a person who always has their head in a book. Then again geek to another person could be someone who carries around Astromey books with theories on black hole physics in them and people ask what they are reading and you say a book and they say what book just when you are up to a good part then you tell them then they look at you weird and say that your strange. Then you have the geeks that follow a tv program and watch it liek its the last thing on earth that they have to do then go on the web and complain how channel 7 cut scenes from it and that you want to ring their necks as they told you the story line for next ep as well as print out a 3 page summ on ever ep and find out all the background information about the stargate and the eps so much in fact that you can now watch 5 seconds of the ep and know what number it is what season it is in and what happens as well as all the background information on it from other eps you have seen then your sister wishes she wasn't your sister when you rant and rave on the bus on the way home about the ep and what jack did to danny's friend......
Ok I have been called a geek

Last edited by chameleon on 09-08-2002 at 11:03 AM

Old Post 09-08-2002 10:17 AM
chameleon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chameleon Click here to Send chameleon a Private Message Visit chameleon's homepage! Find more posts by chameleon Add chameleon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Captn Carter
So I can do this....

I've never been called a geek for loving stargate...
Cazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possessions of one's faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal and wacko on the other hand....

(Edited too say I'm STILL laughing over Chameleon's remark.....)

For a little bit of Aussie with your Sci-fi
Austr-alien.com

Last edited by Captn Carter on 09-08-2002 at 10:22 AM

Old Post 09-08-2002 10:19 AM
Captn Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Captn Carter Click here to Send Captn Carter a Private Message Visit Captn Carter's homepage! Find more posts by Captn Carter Add Captn Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

quote:
Originally posted by chameleon
Then again geek to another person could be someone who carries around Astromey books with theories on black hole physics in them and people ask what they are reading and you say a book and they say what book just when you are up to a good part then you tell them then they look at you weird and say that your strange.

you do realise youve just quoted from my life at age 12-14
(god, back in those days I had my own little booklet extolling my ideas on physics)
Then again perhaps school wasnt the best place to carry that crap around... but then they'd never have called me doctor... and I wouldnt be the man I am today

Last edited by president doc on 09-08-2002 at 10:39 AM

Old Post 09-08-2002 10:37 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chameleon
Negotiator of Chaos

Hey doc thats what i do now. My friends are used to it some of them are even intrested in the biophysics books that i read(As long as they have pictures), they just don't like my black hole ones. I don't get called doc, which is a bummer. Other geeks could be the ones that in between classes they carry around there books with their head in it as well as walking home then walk into a car that you didn't see there then have a sister that will never let you live it down and just because you do sports everyone think that your dumb until they still you not on the field and wonder were the sporty chick went to and what the geek did with her.......
I wanna be called a doc....
If only danny/sam were real then i could have some of the best conversations.
*End Rant*

Old Post 09-08-2002 11:09 AM
chameleon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chameleon Click here to Send chameleon a Private Message Visit chameleon's homepage! Find more posts by chameleon Add chameleon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kiya
lusus naturae

I don't ever remember being called a geek at school. This possibly has something to do with the fact that up until the age of 17, I successfully conformed with the 'in-crowd': was able to talk at length on popular tv programmes and was never seen with my head in anything remotely resembling a science book.

After my GCSEs (possibly because of them, maybe in spite of them), I rebelled. I began to watch The X Files, Buffy, Angel and Stargate SG-1. I started to read books on the non-existence of time, which, I hasten to add, has completely ruined my life - since whilst I don't believe in time, the majority of the world does...this providing endless problems with important things like cinema film showings.

I've only ever had one person call me a geek and I think that was based on my knowledge of .tmp files on the computer.

Old Post 09-08-2002 01:48 PM
kiya is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kiya Click here to Send kiya a Private Message Find more posts by kiya Add kiya to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

How the hell can you be called a Geek Chams?

I don't recall being called a geek...I've been called a basketball freak and a few other names which I dare not utter, but to be called a geek would be...no wait. My sister said I was a geek.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 09-08-2002 01:52 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus
Common Sense-less

Never been called a geek, from what I can recall. That could be because I rarely watch Sci-Fi - I dislike Star Wars and the only Sci-Fi I watch is Stargate, because it has a kind of realism most Sci-Fis lack.

I had a few friends though, that were really into Buffy and Angel, to the point where it'd just get annoying. Everytime an advertisement came on showing a clip from an episode coming up, they'd rush to get the remote and turn the TV off, and be in a grumpy mood if they saw the "spoiler". Plus many other things. They got quite annoyed when I once randomly called them sad .

Last edited by Deus on 09-08-2002 at 02:41 PM

Old Post 09-08-2002 02:37 PM
Deus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deus Click here to Send Deus a Private Message Find more posts by Deus Add Deus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I haven't heard of people being called geeks cos they watch either SG or scifi. As a SG fan, I've never been called a geek, and none of my friends who watch Andromeda or Farscape or anything are called that. The usual response I get when I say I watch SG is "What?"

Old Post 09-08-2002 03:48 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

Erm, sigh. I have 4 computers in this room, one of which is a Linux Webserver for testing things on. Better than that, I know how to work it. Yep, I think that makes me a geek.

Old Post 09-08-2002 04:25 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

A Geek! Heeuuughhhh!!! - Socrates from Bill and Ted

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 09-08-2002 04:46 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MajorSam
The Bad Girl

I get called a geek all the time from my brother, cause i do so much Stargate stuff, on all the 4 comps. at my house, and he thinks that a girl shouldn't go on the computer so much. at scool i don't think i've actually been called one, but i kno people think it, cause i'm not really as loud as i am at home, and am concentrated on doin scool, and keeping my straight a's. and same with the comment about watchin Stargate. "wat is that? never heard of it." arg...

BSF
HRADP!!!

Old Post 09-08-2002 05:20 PM
MajorSam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MajorSam Click here to Send MajorSam a Private Message Find more posts by MajorSam Add MajorSam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

my friends take the mick but good naturedly they never say it as an insult

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 09-08-2002 06:55 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote