Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > How well would an SG1 film do at the box office?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MPH

How well would an SG1 film do at the box office?

Considering the less than stellar box office receipts of Nemesis and thats a Trek film, how well would you think a SG1 film would do?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-20-2002 04:14 PM
MPH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MPH Click here to Send MPH a Private Message Find more posts by MPH Add MPH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nc_Chaz

i dont think the movie would even make it to the movies, it would be a 2 hour made for tv, because it would not do any good at the box office, face it its a cult show and movie sells have to be big and even being at cult status it couldnt deliver them.

Old Post 12-20-2002 04:21 PM
nc_Chaz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nc_Chaz Click here to Send nc_Chaz a Private Message Find more posts by nc_Chaz Add nc_Chaz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MPH

TPTB at Stargate have said it will not be TV movie, what would be the point that's just like a 2 parter.

Old Post 12-20-2002 04:24 PM
MPH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MPH Click here to Send MPH a Private Message Find more posts by MPH Add MPH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mehzeb
X<$ecret @gent>X

quote:
Originally posted by nc_Chaz
i dont think the movie would even make it to the movies, it would be a 2 hour made for tv, because it would not do any good at the box office, face it its a cult show and movie sells have to be big and even being at cult status it couldnt deliver them.

well... arent we the Mr.Glass-IS-Half-Empty here......

it would definitely make it to the movies and will be 'big budget' as far as i've heard. Brad Wright is currently working on the storyline and script. As the movie will have a wider budget, there will be plenty of special effects, goa'uld motherships, maybe new aliens, maybe the asgard... who knows... but rest assure... IT WILL BE : TOPNOTCH

and how can u be so sure that SG1 wouldnt be appealing if it did go to the movies...

care to explain...

Old Post 12-20-2002 04:49 PM
mehzeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mehzeb Click here to Send mehzeb a Private Message Find more posts by mehzeb Add mehzeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Star Trek doing crap at the box office doesn't really reflect on how a Stagate film would do. It did bad because, from what I've heard, it's completely useless.

So depends on if the film is good or not and how much of a fan base it has. I don't know about any where else, but in Ireland I don't think it would do that well. Might in the UK, US or Australia though.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 12-20-2002 04:58 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MPH

Nemesis is good actually.

Old Post 12-20-2002 05:02 PM
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

not to put down Sg-1 as bad or any thing, but i would also have to say that i dont think that a stargate Sg-1 movie would do well in the box office. I just dont see it appealing to that many people out there, other than fans, and curious people with to much time on there hands

Albert Einstein

Old Post 12-20-2002 05:06 PM
Jaffa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa Click here to Send Jaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa Add Jaffa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mehzeb
X<$ecret @gent>X

so Jaffa... i gotta question...
in the first feature film STARGATE:
YOU MADE THE STARGATE WORK
YOU EXPLORED THE UNKNOWN
YOU REALIZED THAT PEOPLE LIVED ON OTHER PLANETS
YOU UNDERSTOOD ABOUT EGYPTIAN PHILOSOPHY AND HISTORY
YOU KICKED SOME ALIEN BUTT
AND U SAVED THE DAY

Now... wut do u propose to do in SEQUEL????

COZ BASICALLY WE'VE DONE ALL THAT... AND WUT UR IMPLYING IS... theres nothing in there thats appealing enough and that a sg1 movie would suck... well...

IF ITS NOT SG1... THEN THEY WOULD HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH... MAKE UP A WHOLE NEW STORY... MAYBE SET IN THE FUTURE... OR IN ANOTHER PLANET OR SOMETHIN... I DUNNO...

You tell me...
"Coz a SG1 Movie would not be appealing" u know....

Old Post 12-20-2002 05:13 PM
mehzeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mehzeb Click here to Send mehzeb a Private Message Find more posts by mehzeb Add mehzeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Nemesis is good actually.

I'm not saying whether it is or not (couldn't care less, not going to see it anyway), I'm just saying critics are slamming it and that's why it's doing badly.

Old Post 12-20-2002 05:14 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

i just dont think that it would be appealing to the general public. I would definetly go see it, but i know lots of people out there who wouldnt. they know nothing of Sg-1 if they havent seen the series, and many havent, and would be confused by the film. im not saying that the film would be bad no matter what, i think it could be great.

Albert Einstein

Old Post 12-20-2002 05:19 PM
Jaffa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa Click here to Send Jaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa Add Jaffa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nc_Chaz

sg1 is not a movie show, the charters have been develpd for 6 years , normal veiwing pulbic has the attention span of a gerbble, and sg1 has more to it than being a capitain and exploring space, and plus it dont have the history or the fans( sorry) of star trek and ( yuck)star wars , and it is sad to say but a sg1 movie would not do good, look at the current state of scifi,
star wars is what the public thinks scifi is
star trek is dead, with a felling movie and about to be cancled show.
farscape cancled
fire fly cancled
birds of prey cancled( thank goodness)
the are no new scifi except tremors the series.
i mean scifi is going underground for a few years, and the fans not the fly by the pants fan boyz will even ammit that sg1 has been DUMMING down for the last couple of seasons so it will apeal to the masses. i like sg1 in fact next to farscape it is the only show i watch, and it is my favirote show, i would love for it to be the next trek with 10 movies 5 spin offs, but i can not see it,
some people beleave farscape and firefly will be saved i do not , and i do not beleave sg1 will make a movie

Old Post 12-20-2002 07:07 PM
nc_Chaz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nc_Chaz Click here to Send nc_Chaz a Private Message Find more posts by nc_Chaz Add nc_Chaz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MPH

^
Mr pessimistic or what, don't you find it strange though that with all these cancellations SG1 is still around and getting stronger.
And with the film people watched the first one, so why not this one. With a good promo and publicity and SG1 film would do well I believe.
The film has also been approved by MGM and Brad Wright has left the production team for S7 of SG1 to concentrate on the film.

Last edited by MPH on 12-20-2002 at 07:12 PM

Old Post 12-20-2002 07:08 PM
shiloh
Radix lecti

I have to (unhappily) fall into the camp of feeling a SG film would not do well, unless they went back to Kurt Russell & James Spader.

Ugly truth is, most people have not seen the series, or lump it together with stuff like Andromeda and wouldn't want to see a big-screen film based on it. It does ok in the ratings but not great.

Trek is unique in being a series that made a good movie. I can no more imagine people plunking down $10 for a SG1 movie than I can see them paying $10 to see a movie based on CSI or West Wing or even Farscape. Personally, I'd rather see a decent budget TV movie, and it makes me unhappy that TPTB have rejected that idea.

Old Post 12-20-2002 07:38 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

nc_Chaz, it's been pretty such confirmed that there will be a movie. It was supposed to be after season six but then Stargate got renewed for another season, putting plans (and spin off?) for the film on hold. More information about it cane be found here

MPH, why did you ask people's opinions when you're just going to dismiss what they say as 'pessimism'?

Old Post 12-20-2002 07:38 PM
MPH

Shilou TV movies are a total waste of time and im glad that they have rejected that idea.

Old Post 12-20-2002 07:44 PM