Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > is no one going to talk about Abyss? (spoilers)
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Angelique

is no one going to talk about Abyss? (spoilers)

okay, I thought this ep was really, really good. yeah, there were a few stupid things about it, but the dialogue between Jack and Daniel was so great, I'll overlook all that. :-)

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 07-20-2002 02:31 AM
Angelique is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Angelique Click here to Send Angelique a Private Message Visit Angelique's homepage! Find more posts by Angelique Add Angelique to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StephSuperMom

I will I will.

I thought it was great. It was so good to see MS again. My sister-in-law (who never watches SG1) said it was a "warm and tingly episode"

Spoilers

I agree that the dialogue between Jack and Daniel was great. I kinda wish Dnaiel would have "busted him out" but at the same time understand why he didnt. I like the way he ended up helping though. Giving Teal'c the idea during his Kel no reem.

I may have to go watch it again it was so good.
Again loved the dialogue between Daniel and Jack.

"Though a candle burns in my house, there's nobody home" --Jack

I'm not getting all my memos. -- Jack

Last edited by StephSuperMom on 07-20-2002 at 02:51 AM

Old Post 07-20-2002 02:48 AM
StephSuperMom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StephSuperMom Click here to Send StephSuperMom a Private Message Find more posts by StephSuperMom Add StephSuperMom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brent

GREAT Episode!

Another well made proffesional episode, much better after that crap of an episode Night Walkers

At first thought I was slightly dissapointed, we totally did not get to see Jack do anything joined with a symbiote. Only that part at the beginning with him trying to escape. I really wanted to see him walking around arguing with himself or something lol

I don't understand why the symbiote ran away though, that would leave Jack defensless. Did the symbiote do it because the goa'uld coulda extracted info from him or something? And where did the symbiote go, it kinda slithered away on that planet, makes me wonder WHERE did it go, is it dead? still alive? it contains a lot of knowledge

The whole part with Daniel was done VERY VERY well, I enjoyed all of it, classic Daniel. I was glad Jack didn't ascend in this episode though, that would have been way to easy, and weird, joined with a symbiote for 1 week then ascended in the same week lol way to much. I like how daniel said he's got potential though, maybe one day he could ascend I bet.

Jonas did well this time, not overused, though still kinda 'all knowing' throwing in his logic and all, haha. But still not to heavy which was good.

Looks like some preluding to dealings with Yu more in the future.

So, now that Jack has had a symbiote does that mean he's got Naquada in his blood right? He can now sense other symbiotes in people and also operate goa'uld devices right? He may not know exactly HOW to use them, but he's got the capability to now right?

Great Epp, look forward to the next

Last edited by Brent on 07-20-2002 at 04:07 AM

Old Post 07-20-2002 04:03 AM
Brent is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brent Click here to Send Brent a Private Message Visit Brent's homepage! Find more posts by Brent Add Brent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kmg

I liked it, but there were some slow moments.

I found the explanation of Kanan being influenced by Jack's sense of loyality a little hard to believe.

I didn't like the directing at some points. I didn't understand the use of gravity in torturing Jack, or with the prison cell.

It was really cute to hear the Jack/Daniel bantering again.

Loved hearing Jack call for Daniel while being tortured.

Did anyone catch how when Daniel first appeared to Jack asking about what happened that Daniel said "All I know is that you or the symbiote walked off in the middle of the night without the Tok'ra seeing you." This explanation was given by the visiting Tok'ra at the SGC which to me indicates that Daniel is hanging around the SGC.

A very good show.

Old Post 07-20-2002 04:10 AM
kmg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kmg Click here to Send kmg a Private Message Find more posts by kmg Add kmg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bellachikita

was there at all any sam and jack shippiness in this eppy

Old Post 07-20-2002 04:31 AM
bellachikita is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bellachikita Click here to Send bellachikita a Private Message Find more posts by bellachikita Add bellachikita to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kmg

quote:
Originally posted by bellachikita
was there at all any sam and jack shippiness in this eppy

no.

Old Post 07-20-2002 04:59 AM
kmg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kmg Click here to Send kmg a Private Message Find more posts by kmg Add kmg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

Great episode! Wanted to watch it twice before coming here.

Ba'al is a seriously cool goa'uld, I hope we get to encounter him again. He's like a great Bond villian - witty, cool, and collected.

I really liked the use of the localized gravity field to control and torture Jack. I can't recall ever seeing that before in a TV series. Very inventive and very interesting. Thought it was interesting though how sanitized the torture scenes were. I compared them in my mind to the episode of Farscape where Scorpius was torturing Crichton -- we saw and heard John screaming in pain, saw his anguish. I think here we're seeing US television sensibilities. ... you have to 'hint' at stuff like that.

I am very disappointed though that we didn't get to see Jack and the symbiote interacting. I really really wanted to see that. And what about Kanan deserting Jack - does that mean Kanan is dead? We know a symbiote can't survive w/o a host - maybe Kanan was sacrificing himself to save Shallan in that by leaving Jack Kanan couldn't be forced to reveal her (thinking that Jack didn't know about her either?), and didn't figure on Ba'al having a sarc to resurrect O'Neill - or maybe he just didn't care about O'Neill?

So now Lord Yu owes the SGC two - first Teal'c kills the goa'uld in The Warrior (what was his name?) for him, and then the SGC gives him the plans to Ba'al's fortress. And Ba'al is going to be seriously pissed at the SGC now. This could get fun fun fun.

Old Post 07-20-2002 06:12 AM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lucyace
For cryin' out loud!

quote:
No

Damn. Ah well, probably brill episode anyway

If it had Jack and Daniel in, how could it not?

<--- Just Lucy

MSN: [email protected]
Add me!!

Last edited by Lucyace on 07-20-2002 at 07:46 AM

Old Post 07-20-2002 07:21 AM
Lucyace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lucyace Click here to Send Lucyace a Private Message Find more posts by Lucyace Add Lucyace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

c'mon guys any major stuff to tell
and whats with the 'oma desala' thing that jack says *see in stephsupermom's post about the candle*

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 07-20-2002 08:27 AM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lucyace
For cryin' out loud!

its jack pretending to be insightful. Its jack's version of, my light's on but nobody is at home

<--- Just Lucy

MSN: [email protected]
Add me!!

Old Post 07-20-2002 10:19 AM
Lucyace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lucyace Click here to Send Lucyace a Private Message Find more posts by Lucyace Add Lucyace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kmg

quote:
Originally posted by puddykat
c'mon guys any major stuff to tell
and whats with the 'oma desala' thing that jack says *see in stephsupermom's post about the candle*

There were some good lines.

Jack wanted Daniel to break him out, but Daniel said he couldn't interfere.

"You're interferring right now."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"No, I'm not. I'm consoling a friend."

When Daniel realizes that the torturing will destroy Jack, he decides he can't let that happen. So, he offers to ascend Jack.

"If I'm catching the next plane of existence out of here, you've gotta give me something."

In order to do that Jack has to release his burden.

"Daniel, so help me, if you start talking like Oma D..."

"I'm not talking like Oma Desala."

"It sounds like Oma Desala."

"[stuttering] no, no, no. Oma Desala would say something like "The candle is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago," or something like that."

[I think MS flubbed the line.]

"Daniel, though a candle burns at my house, no one is home."

Here's my favorite. Later, Jack says:

"So, you wanna be my Oma."

Daniel with apprehension in answering, "You could put it that way. Ah..I mean, I wouldn't...but maybe that's just me."

Old Post 07-20-2002 12:47 PM
Angelique

quote:
Originally posted by StephSuperMom

I agree that the dialogue between Jack and Daniel was great. I kinda wish Dnaiel would have "busted him out" but at the same time understand why he didnt. I like the way he ended up helping though. Giving Teal'c the idea during his Kel no reem.

Oh really? I got the impression that Teal'c and Sam came up with their ideas on their own. At some point after Daniel told Jack that things had changed and he was going to get out, Jack asked what Daniel had done to help and Daniel said "nothing." Or did I dream that part up?

The whole part where Daniel is explaining his inaction to Jack and Jack is screaming that if their roles were reversed, Jack would be doing everything in his power to help Daniel, and Daniel tells him that no he wouldn't because Jack's a better man than that, and then Jack yells "that's where you're wrong!" ... all I could think was WOW! now THAT was a scene! ::tingles::

Old Post 07-20-2002 12:47 PM
Angelique is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Angelique Click here to Send Angelique a Private Message Visit Angelique's homepage! Find more posts by Angelique Add Angelique to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nug
Melon

You know what. I'm glad Daniel was back for this ep, because I seriously doubt whether it would have rated 'good' if he hadn't. Not that he was the only reason I like this ep, but the Jack/Daniel scenes were much the strong point for me.

Not seeing the scenes where Jack escaped with the slavegirl was disappointing for me. I understand it was a touchy feely episode, but a bit of action wouldn't have hurt. I felt shortchanged there.
I agree with shiloh, Ba'al is very cool. But am I the only one who doesn't pronounce it 'ball' (as in bocce? LOL @ the lines in this ep) . I said, or used to say it, b-owl. As in Owl the bird that goes hoot. Um sort of. Bad phoenetics....

Random other thoughts:
RDA's face looked fat maybe it was the camera angle or my blurry vision but
I want an antigravity room thingy
Jack yelling and arguing with Daniel has much more oomph than with Jonas
T is a badarse
Jack being tortured looked like RDA with a fat face looking constipated. And I say that as a large fan
This ep made me miss Daniel even more....

When are they gonna do a 'stargate' episode. You know, exploring another planet and culture etc. At least use the freakin stargate! augh!

Oh and the whole 'we don't leave our people behind' thing. Does it drive anyone else a little batty. Not because they're like trying to have the moral high ground, but because they left Daniel behind in 2.01 and Lantash/newguywhosnameican'tremember behind in that other ep. It should be 'we don't desert our people' or something else like that. I guess it means one and the same....sigh....just nitpicking :P

Old Post 07-20-2002 02:01 PM
nug is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nug Click here to Send nug a Private Message Find more posts by nug Add nug to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KMInfinity
Nereid

Superb episode~

Spoilers*----

>>>

>>>

>>>

Thinking from a writer's perspective, the key was that the audience had to see Jack repeatedly suffering intense physical pain and mental anguish----then hooking up with Daniel in the cell (after the sarcophagus revived him from torture and death)---and accepting that Daniel couldn't physically bust Jack out.... And the writers did an excellent job of this..... It made sense, didn't cause (IMO) a build up of resentment against Daniel for not helping, and provided gobs of great dialogue and conversation between the two. It also superbly set up the idea that Jack really could step out of his "can-do, man of action" role and understand that other perspectives are valid---the first step in being able to ascend? Granted, Jack didn't agree with Daniel's self imposed limitations, but he accepted them.

It's the best episode I've ever seen considering the low amounts of action and effects...

The bulk of the episode was the relationship/dialogue between Jack and Daniel, but there were some other nice touches :

~General Hammond going toe-to toe with the Tok'ra and drawing a line in the sand....
~Teal'c smiling--big beaming smile, when Hammond "chewed out" the Tok'ra in that precise, professional, tough way that only a military officer can do....
~The really cool local gravity effects...loved how Jack learned to adapt to that...
~Ba'al---handsome, clever, witty--and vicious
~A teeny, tiny shipper moment>When Jack is back at SGC, in the hospital bed, Sam gets Jack a glass of water--IMO, a deep serious look of care and love? from her to him.....(Meanwhile, I think Jack merely asked for the water to get her out of the room so he could talk to Daniel privately, since no one else could see him....)

Minor quibbles and questions:

~Yeah, woulda been nice to see Jack with the snake inside...

~Woulda been nice to see a bit of action as Jack escaped....

~I agree with Angelique that Teal'c did not get the idea to use Yu from Daniel...Let's not turn Daniel into the "god in the machine" who saves everybody every time something goes wrong.....I thought that was the whole point of the episode...

~I agree with kmg that this episode implies Daniel is "hanging out" at SGC--Why can't he appear more, then? Like at Jack's bedside, what's the deal where he couldn't appear to all for a moment and say hi? Ascending means cutting off all past connections? Then WTF is he giving Jack moral support for during the torture ordeal?.....methinks I smell a conflict in Daniel about his ascended status. Maybe he didn't truly give up all of his "burdens" and ends up unascending? descending? returning form the heights...whatever...

*OT ?---Since the thread itself is labeled spoiler, must individual posts provide spoiler space? How's that FAQ coming?

What's remarkable about science fiction is that it's literature at its best. It doesn't exist because high schools require students to read it, or because grants are given out for it.... or because colleges have embedded it in their curriculum. It exists because it speaks to people. James Morrow

Last edited by KMInfinity on 07-20-2002 at 02:21 PM

Old Post 07-20-2002 02:19 PM
KMInfinity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KMInfinity Click here to Send KMInfinity a Private Message Find more posts by KMInfinity Add KMInfinity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otis
Egyptaholic

Fabulous Episode.
Spoilers to follow:

I thought that the idea of the gravity chamber was quite inventive. I liked the way that they used this new piece of Goauld technology. We got to see different aspects of Goauld torture devices with the knives, acid, neutralizer, etc. Ba'al was very well acted. I liked the take on this villain. I'm assuming he's a British actor, but I agree with Shiloh who said he reminded her of a Bond character.
Th interaction between Jack and Daniel was great. I thought maybe some of the lines were adlibbed a little and it added to the scenes in a big way.
I didn't think Daniel implanted the Yu idea. I thought Teal'c came up with that on his own.
The whole episode brings up a lot to question on the Earth/Tokra alliance. We got to see a good amount of how the SGC really feels about the Tokra and vice versa. Dorian Harewood did a great job and added to the bitterness between the two groups. I think we saw a side of the Tokra that we don't see when Jacob/Selmac is the only Tokra they interact with. It also makes you think back on the Anise/Freya character in the Upgrades episode and question her duplicity a little more.

All in all, as I said, a fabulous eppy.

Old Post 07-20-2002 02:42 PM
Otis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Otis Click here to Send Otis a Private Message Find more posts by Otis Add Otis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote