Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > The Iris
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
StuntMan_Stan

The Iris

This has probably been mentioned many times before. I had a quick glance through the past threads and I couldnt see it. So apoligies in advance for possibly bringing up an old topic

When a wormhole is engaged the event horrizon is formed. As the wormhole engages a big " swirl of energy" shoots forwards which dissintergrates all matter in its path.

How then in many episodes does Hammond order the iris closed before the wormhole engages, when the wormholes engages WHY is the iris not disintergrated by the" swirl of energy" that shoots forwards?

Any ideas would be appeciated

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-19-2002 04:35 PM
StuntMan_Stan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StuntMan_Stan Click here to Send StuntMan_Stan a Private Message Find more posts by StuntMan_Stan Add StuntMan_Stan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I think this thread explains it pretty well. I only skim read though, sorry if it totally doesn't answer your Q.

If you can't find threads by looking in the forum, the search button (top right) may prove more revealing.

Old Post 12-19-2002 04:51 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Elfin magic. Elves made the iris, so it's indestrooctible!

Actually, the going theory is that the iris, being situated so close to the emitting fields of the Stargate, prevent that overpressure wave from forming in the first place, and it is the movement of that wave that would disintegrate matter.

Akin to the waterhead behind a dam. Given enough room to accelerate and attain momentum, the mass of water in a reservoir could easily smash the dam and everything downriver of it?but only if it is given enough room to accelerate in the first place...

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 12-19-2002 at 06:50 PM

Old Post 12-19-2002 06:40 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
<\?KULA/>

Location: its a bit further than the second lift in the Whitehouse

I think its just a defect in the series. Sometimes u see that Hammond orders that the iris to be opened when they dial and sometimes he just says to dial. anyway.

Old Post 12-20-2002 05:00 AM
<\?KULA/> is offline Click Here to See the Profile for <\?KULA/> Click here to Send <\?KULA/> a Private Message Find more posts by <\?KULA/> Add <\?KULA/> to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex8472
dead and loving it

or perhaps the iris is made of some equipment that isn't destroyed but i like the theory of it being so close

Old Post 12-20-2002 09:59 AM
alex8472 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex8472 Click here to Send alex8472 a Private Message Visit alex8472's homepage! Find more posts by alex8472 Add alex8472 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

<\?KULA/>, while everyone has the right to an opinion, I regret to inform you that I'd prefer not to hear yours.

The most accepted theory is what Rhyderdork Hail said. I also have another theory that the destructive power of the kawoosh is proportional to the displacement from the event horizon, which goes hand in hand with the theory about the kawoosh not forming in the first place if there is an iris.

Old Post 12-20-2002 11:06 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

Don't they only close the iris when some-one else is dialling earth Akula? The iris is usually always open and so why would hammond have it closed when he's dialling?

Old Post 12-20-2002 08:59 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote