Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Technological advancement
Pages (11): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

mmm. Does anyone else think that Goa'uld like Nirrti and Marduk shouldnt have pyramid ships??? It doesn't make sense. They shout have Ziggurat shipsfore marduk or Tent Ships(lol) for Nirrti

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 09-24-2002 09:50 PM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

Is it just me or is it that Apophis was the only one who had an ounce of originality, i mean, he was the only one aside from Osiris to ever use something else aside from Ha'taks. Ps, does anyone think that apophis using his mega-huge ship could have destroyed an Anubis ha'tak?

Old Post 09-25-2002 03:04 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

quote:
Originally posted by Lord ?okar
If it was modified before he was sarcoughogised then the technology would be ancient and every other Goa'uld would have had it and that would go against what we see in The Nox where Apophois has just got 1. And seth had one too so it was not just Marduk that did and since Setesh was one of the most ridiculed and least powerful Goa'ulds I find it hard to believe that someone like Apophis who was a system lord would have trouble aquiring the tech. There must be some other reason. BTW, I do not believe in goofs in a fiction show. In a forum like this the whole point is to discuss the technical difficulties and assume that they are deliberate not to just write them off.

Why? It's obviously a goof! Even if it's a fictious device... Come on... It isn't deliberate... How could it be??? There has to be more than two occurances of it to be deliberate since it's concerning such a major tech in the show... And as for goofs not being able in a fiction show... This would logically mean that there cannot be any goofs in any movies except documentaries... Give up...

Old Post 09-25-2002 05:14 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

No, Apophis' Cheops Class Destroyer could not have killed 1 of Anubis' Ha'taks. The Cheops had weapons that were weaker than an Asgard Balliskner Class and you saw how well 1 of those fared against them.

Old Post 09-25-2002 10:15 PM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Then again, Apophis' Cheops-class blew away Heru-Ur's Hatak-class without doing so much as pausing to fart first.

If the Cheops is a big enough mofo to gun down your standard Hatak ship with the first volley, this may make it on par with the Asgaard. The key difference being the Cheops class is the most expensive and top-line machine the Goa'uld have, while the Asgaard Bilisknr-class is your typical mass-produced bulk cruiser. The Goa'uld may be able to afford only one or two Cheops, while the Asgaard have squadrons of Bilisknrs.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 09-25-2002 10:22 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Heru-er did not have Anubis' souped up shields. And even so, it was only 3 O'Neill Class cruisers that Anubis was afraid of. 3!!!!

Old Post 09-25-2002 10:26 PM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Apples and oranges

I went and made a comparison of Cheops versus Bilisknr, and you try to shoot it down by comparing Hataks versus O'Neills...

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 09-25-2002 10:35 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
If the Cheops is a big enough mofo to gun down your standard Hatak ship with the first volley, this may make it on par with the Asgaard.
Thats like shooting someone in the head with a 9mm and then a .308 and saying that they are on par becuse they both killed the person.
quote:
I went and made a comparison of Cheops versus Bilisknr, and you try to shoot it down by comparing Hataks versus O'Neills...
We like to call it logic.

Cheops vs Balliskner: Cheops = boom.
Cheops vs Ha'tak: Ha'tak = boom.
Cheops vs O'Neill: Cheops = boomboomboom.
Cheops vs Anubis Ha'tak: Cheops = boom.

Balliskner vs Ha'tak: Ha'tak = boom.
Balliskner vs O'neill Balliskner = boom.
Balliskner vs Anubis Ha'tak Balliskner = boom.

O'neill vs Ha'tak Ha'tak= boomboomboomboom
O'neill vs Anubis Ha'tak Anubis Ha'tak = boom

Anubis Ha'tak vs Ha'tak Ha'tak = BOOM

In conclusion: Scale of Power from To 2 Bottom
O'Neill Class
Balliskner Class
Anubis Ha'tak Class
Cheops Class
Ha'tak Class

Last edited by Lord ?okar on 09-25-2002 at 10:57 PM

Old Post 09-25-2002 10:48 PM
president doc

Id say the oneill could make anubis's hatak go BOOM.

Bringing 3 in doesnt mean that they are weak, they just brought in absolutely overwhelming force.

EDIT: My god, the called it the oneill, how sad is that?!

Old Post 09-25-2002 10:50 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

they just brought in absolutely overwhelming force.

Indeed

My god, the called it the oneill, how sad is that?!

Indeed

Old Post 09-25-2002 10:55 PM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

The problem with one's impression of Asgaard military might stems from the fact the the Asgaard serve the TV show's storyline as ex deus machina. Nothing more than that. They are not portrayed realistically as a military expeditionary force under the universal constants and pressure of the art of war. They simply waltz in, kick ass, then clean up whatever hopeless situation the heroes of the tale bury themselves in. They serve little more than that, and that sucks.

You've seen a Bilisknr come in and wipe out a ground expedition to Cimmeria, and think "The Asgaard are overwhelmingly powerful" when the force they wiped out was outnumbered, not entrenched, and lacking air support. Poorly employed into the story arc, yet creating this impression of omnipotence.

If the Asgaard sent a few brigades of themselves to a primitive forest world through the Stargate and just began the construction of a landing base, I'm pretty sure a Goa'uld Hatak would have had little difficulty dropping out of the clouds and blasting away at the lil' fellows.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 09-25-2002 at 11:03 PM

Old Post 09-25-2002 10:57 PM
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

isn't is deus ex machina?

Old Post 09-25-2002 10:59 PM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

"God from the Machine". Whatever. You clearly know what it means, and to what effect it is employed in stories, and I would hope not that one's entire perception of a race's military capability is based purely upon the clearly artifical plot niche that race is cubbyholed into playing.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 09-25-2002 11:05 PM
president doc

The Asgaard are capable of intergalactic travel meaning a level of power generation atleast one order of magnitude greater than the Goa'uld are capable of achieving, they have long had dominance over the Goauld.
However it seems that over teh last few millenia the Goa'uld have been left to play in our galaxy on the unchecked on the whole.

It may suck but Id be surprised if the Asgaard couldnt wipe the floor with them, just as Id be surprised if the Goa'uld couldnt wipe the floor with humans.

EDIT: note also their part in an alliance whos individual members are clearly more powerful than the Goa'uld, and many millenia before now aswell...

The Nox, the ancients, whom it appears Anubis is stealing or finding technology from.

Last edited by president doc on 09-25-2002 at 11:08 PM

Old Post 09-25-2002 11:06 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

The O'neill was a battle cruiser, not necesserily a class of ships but i like the lateral reference, it makes it easier to comprehend.
The Azgard Freyer said the Azgard's ability to maintain the treaty would depend on their numerecy, i think that THOR VS OSIRIS one on one, THOR would have won, and Heimdall should have saved thor by beaming him out when he had the chance instead of letting him get caught.
The azgard have been too busy with the replicators to deal with the Goa'uld, but when the replicators are gone i think things will start to change on the Galactic War front, I don't see why Thor didn't get the Goa'uld to take out Anubis, according to the Treaty the System Lords have to protect all protected planets from all Threats, despite what Osiris thinks that includes Anubis, PS Why didn't Yu go looking for Osiris instead of starting war with Anubis, and if Osiris forces needed Anubis back up clearly these modifications work only against outside threats EG Tolan Ion Cannons Azgard Weapons etc.

Old Post 10-06-2002 05:13 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote