Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > The seeds of war..
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
president doc

Conflict does solve things, If your side wins, it solves your problem...

eg. world war 2.

We won, they lost, problem solved, phone soon, premium search....oh wait, thats a car insurance advert, but you get my point.

The NF in France doesnt really have anything to do with it, what about the NF here? I mean, there will always be idiots, whatcha gonna do?
Let us not discount the fact that military force CAN sometimes solve problems, instead of falling for the old cliche that force can never work.

Last edited by president doc on 04-28-2002 at 01:35 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 04-28-2002 01:33 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

Of course conflict often causes new problems...

...Like the post-WWII power vacuum in Indo-China leading to the Vietnam War in all it's incarnations.

Violence/war is merely a tool. Properly and correctly used, it can be a problem solver. Incorrectly used and it causes even greater problems.

As to the ideas/problems remaining...

...If a group doesn't have the will and/or resources to fight, the problem is moot. The peole with the ideas/problems are helpless. If they do have the will and/or resources, the conflict continues.

Basically, to win, the cost of continuing to fight and resist has to be too great to withstand and going along with the other side has to be easier...

So, the Argentines aren't in the Falklands, the Americans don't drink tea (much), and the Brits never learned to goose-step.

War did solve something.

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 04-28-2002 03:27 PM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

OK, well, I guess war does solve somethings, but I'm still against it in principle. Yes, I know what you're thinking ... But then, WWI, violence only lead to WWII...

Either way, I'm way outta my depth, know nothing about the army or the NF, so I'm really not the best person to discuss this with.

Old Post 04-28-2002 03:47 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kiya
lusus naturae

quote:
Originally posted by Deathbunny:
So, to end all chance of war, either everyone that thinks differently must be put to death, strong feelings about anything must cease, or everyone must think absolutely alike.

I'm not sure that's the case. Surely it's understanding that is the key. Misunderstandings and a lack of knowledge about other cultures and religions etc. cause conflict. If everyone were to understand that people vary in opinion - that the individual has the right to believe what he/she wants - then surely that understanding would help to counter the motivation to make war.

If everyone were to think in exactly the same way, there would be no progress, no development, no evolution. Diversity is what drives us; what brings about change.

quote:
Originally posted by Adonis:
I look forward with hope to those days when War is something you read about in history books.

So do I.

Old Post 04-28-2002 06:11 PM
kiya is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kiya Click here to Send kiya a Private Message Find more posts by kiya Add kiya to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

quote:
Originally posted by kiya

If everyone were to think in exactly the same way, there would be no progress, no development, no evolution. Diversity is what drives us; what brings about change.

EXACTLY!

Conflict = progress.

But, if people have respect for others (etc.)... Their ideas aren't both mutually exclusive and felt strongly about.

Understanding the other side can also cause wars. Do you think the Israelis don't understand what the Palastenians are thinking and what the Palestenians really want? That's why they're fighting them like they are.

The Americans and Western Europeans understood what the USSR was about and what they wanted... that's why we have immense stockpiles of nuclear weapons and military bases all over Europe.

Also, the WWI -> WWII is true, but WWII also led to the current psuedo-peacefulness and the not-very lethal Cold War. WWII also was a major force in the techological and globally interdependent of today that makes the idea of a global war or petty unilateral war so difficult for countries to swallow.

I.e. the costs are too high.

Also, the individual's right to believe whatever is fine and dandy as long as the society he's in can take it. If it's someone that thinks it's fine to molest little boys and girls or that killing other people because they make them angry is okay, than NO it's not okay.

I think the more people adhere to ideals and stop dealing with reality, the worse it gets.

A personnel example is my mom, who's a Southern Baptist "bible thumper". I'm divorcing my wife. The marriage is over, it's not fixable. My wife has started dating this other man. He's a nice guy, a part-time law enforcement guy and an EMT. I'll probably end up friends with him if he and she work out. I treat both him and my wife with respect and avoid conflict with them.

After this guy helped me move some of my stuff to where I'm staying, my mom saw him and lays into me after he left about how could my wife just go from him to me and I should keep trying for the kid's sake.

She was really angry.

I mean, if she didn't weigh 300+ pounds, "hit someone" angry over this.

She's got this ideal in her head about parents staying together even if they can't stand being close to each other and being miserable and she can't get over it.

She's not looking at the real situation.

The Middle East is the same way.

The irony is how close the two sides, Judaism and Islam, are to each other religiously...

...but they can't get over their "God/Allah" telling them that they are the chosen people and everyone else is going to be cast away.

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

Old Post 04-28-2002 07:00 PM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

c'est la vie.

As long as they dont come thumping on my door.
Id say its still a good few hundred years before the pursuit of knowledge, science and understanding takes us out of petty religious squabbles.
Of course thats if we arent all dead, blah blah blah.... we need Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, an archaic Apple laptop and an alien invasion force now!

Old Post 04-28-2002 07:19 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

*Decides to drop in two cents worth*

About this whole conflict not solving anything part....

People must understand that you can't talk out problems all the time, exspecially when it's two countries, Man hasn't evolved that far yet or understand that much. You can't work out your problems with people like Hitler or Osama, they'll just run you over. You have to take them out of the picture and work it out with people willing to think, such as the whole "seeds of peace" type people. They are the future of area's like Israel/Palestine.

If it's someone that thinks it's fine to molest little boys and girls or that killing other people because they make them angry is okay, than NO it's not okay.I don't know if you know this, but there is a book saying almost this very thing out right now.

Old Post 04-28-2002 11:01 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

I'm not surprised.

I have a dear friend that was a victim of it and it's scary enough second hand.

Some people simply need to be removed from society.

Old Post 04-28-2002 11:06 PM
Jaffa, Kree!

but doc, it is knocking on your door. What about the differences between the Catholic and Protestants; that isn't a world war, but it's still a conflict that is harming people and destroying property simply over ideals. It's not that much different than the Judaism vs Islam conflict - just fought in a different way.

'War' over land or property, or the right to rule, i can understand. Dont often agree with it, but hey, you cant please all the people all the time, right? But religious wars frustrate me so much - i cant get my head around their mentality, their reasoning, and the intensity with which they fight to uphold their beliefs (Jihad anyone?). Defend, yeah sure, but to actually instigate a religious war.. *shakes head in wonderment*

I am not a person who is against past wars - i have a lot of respect for the military, its role in defence and peacekeeping, and i also know that the world woud not be what it is today without the conflicts in the past - exploration, industrialisation, colonisation, the development of science, and the changes to society that has come with all of that.
But it's not a matter of 'where would we be' if the wars of the past had not happened, especially if the reasons for them starting were still there, just not acted upon - it needs to be a scenario of complete peace, acceptence, love - all that tree hugging hippy crap - before we can even begin to speculate what our world would be like without war.
War is an effect, not cause. I think this world would be even more seriously fuked up if these past rivals hadn't 'got it out of there system'. It's like a bunch of testosterone jacked guys who need to vent and punch the crap out of each other - better they get it over and done with than let it build up and create even more resentment and hatred.

Old Post 04-29-2002 02:30 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

Just a philisophical point...

...Cause and effect is a simplistic pipe dream.

War is both an active factor and a passive factor in a cycle of human nature and existence.

OK, beyond that...

Old Post 04-29-2002 02:50 AM
Jaffa, Kree!

this is a quote a like from DOGMA, seems to apply.. kinda..

Serendipity: When are you people going to learn? It's not about who's right or wrong. No denomination's nailed it yet, and they never will because they're all too self-righteous to realize that it doesn't matter what you have faith in, just that you have faith. Your hearts are in the right place, but your brains need to wake up.

Old Post 04-29-2002 03:50 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.

Thats all there is to it.
There is also the matter of being brought up from birth being taught to believe a set of ideals, rules etc.

The problem with the middle east is that even if they may have a valid cause, they are going about it in such a fashion that is counterproductive to the cause.
The place is filled with uneducated masses and idiotic grandstanding leaders...
Now theres nothing wrong with grandstanding, aslong as youve got power to back up your words!
The problem is its not just about the issue at hand, its about deep seated hatred, older arab men who have actually said that its ok to kill families in bombings, but if a Jew were to do that to an arab family, that would be wrong. (of course it would be, but he was talking from a religious moral standpoint, that a muslim family being killed means something, wheras jewish people should be exterminated)
Now when people like this are in control... what can you do?

Its actually quite funny, I remember watching a startrek episode where good old Picard says something like,
"history has shown that you can never fight terrorists with military might"

I wonder if that will ever change...

In later episodes, those very terrorists were annhilated... by a superior force, a force which had no qualms about destroying entire planets etc....

Is that the kind of mentality, brutality that we will need to complete the objectives?
Would we be prepared to even go there?
How far will we be pushed?

Time will tell.

Last edited by president doc on 04-29-2002 at 09:21 AM

Old Post 04-29-2002 09:17 AM
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

JK!, good one, but alas, I have little faith...

The Palestenians have power.

Lots of it.

It's found in the will to die for a cause and the world's opinion of Israel.

The problem for them is, while it keeps the Israelis from coming out ahead, it also keeps the Palestenians from winning and it's going to make a post-war Palestenian society a dangerous place.

Look at the Northern Ireland debacle. No intentional suicide bombings, the IRA is actually disarming, but the idea you can use bombs against civilians to get attention/power is still there...

Anyway, like I said way up there:

"As long as two groups of people feel strongly about mutually exclusive ideas and are willing to kill* for them...

...You have the ingredients for war.

So, to end all chance of war, either everyone that thinks differently must be put to death, strong feelings about anything must cease, or everyone must think absolutely alike. "

Old Post 04-29-2002 11:48 AM
president doc

Or you could all cede power to a benevolent president who will take care of all you sweet sweet children!

Old Post 04-29-2002 04:23 PM
Venus

My point about war.

Old Post 04-29-2002 07:11 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote