Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Serpent head Jaffa helmets
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Wingless Flyer

Question Serpent head Jaffa helmets

Hello everyone.

I've just been inspecting my new S1 boxset (I can't watch it, SG is on in 30 mins anyway but my mum wants to watch things that aren't Stargate ) But I've been looking at the uniforms of the Serpent headed jaffa, and I've been wondering, how do they see out of their helmets? The Jaffa's head would be in the neck of the serpent head, would it not? And therefore the 'eyes' of the serpent would be pretty useless to see out of, being too far above the eye line of the Jaffa...

Anyone know, or is it a mystery?...

Last edited by Wingless Flyer on 11-15-2002 at 03:51 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-15-2002 03:44 PM
Wingless Flyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingless Flyer Click here to Send Wingless Flyer a Private Message Find more posts by Wingless Flyer Add Wingless Flyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

mabye there are mirrors in the helmet, that let him look out the eyes

Albert Einstein

Old Post 11-15-2002 04:03 PM
Jaffa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa Click here to Send Jaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa Add Jaffa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

It probably has some kind of holographic display to allow the user to see perfectly.

Old Post 11-15-2002 04:04 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

most likely but i still like the idea of mirrors better

Albert Einstein

Old Post 11-15-2002 04:40 PM
Jaffa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa Click here to Send Jaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa Add Jaffa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonas

Well Jaffa battle armoury is hardly known for its "sense" is it - kind of like the old knights in shining armour - invincible until you knock them on their back

And if that comment doesn't bring Tula out nothing will.

Old Post 11-15-2002 04:50 PM
Jonas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonas Click here to Send Jonas a Private Message Find more posts by Jonas Add Jonas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

If the Jaffa were depicted to be the scary badasses they were supposed to be on the show (and how they actually were in the movie), the helmet of a Goa'uld servant warrior would possess various sensor and life-support components that would give them enhanced vision and survivability on a battlefield filled with noxious gases.

The wearer would interface with the helmet with a holographic display that allows them to see through smoke and the darkness of night (like how they stalked down the original Stargate team within the Abydos pyramid in the movie) and provide a hermetic means of defense against chemical agents and hostile atmospheres.

Sadly, the show had made the Jaffa warriors little more than easy-to-kill pussies who can't see around corners nor withstand a canister of noxious gas thrown at them through a wormhole.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 11-15-2002 06:07 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

I know, just saw family? anyway, episode where SG1 rescue teal'cs son, gas knocked them out!

I mean, in 10 or 20 years, all the systems in current development for super soldiers will be in production, and one can imagine what kind of strength enhancing suits will come out within several decades, and how various other functions will beable to be integrated into them.... so the crapness of the shows Jaffa suits is..crap.

Old Post 11-15-2002 06:11 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingless Flyer

Yeah, that has crossed my mind before, why aren't their uniforms more advanced? And yeah, they are such pussies, aren't they supposed to be elite warriors? They just stumble about, miss things and get killed At least in the movie when the landing ship docks on the pryamid the whole fight scene with the Jaffa after that is pretty scary, more like real Jaffa...

I think the idea of holographic interfaces within the helmets is an excellent idea, which makes allot of sense, and given the fact they have to work under many different circumstances (desert or artic like weather you would presume) the whole uniform should be hooked up as one with climate control etc. It is surely within their technological capabilities...

I suppose one excuse could be that the helmets are just to scare people and create an image, whilst true the Goa'uld are constantly fighting within themselves, which would give rise to the need for practical fighting equipment..

I've seen some of those new features on a show before (of course not all of it ) But if we can do it now, I am sure that the Jaffa (Goa'uld) who are several thousands of years ahead of us in technological advancement should be able to come with something a thousand times better..

I guess it's easier if the enemy soliders are blundering fools, makes winning and saving the world that much more easier

BTW - Yeah, Family was on tonight, Sky One, I hadn't seen it in awhile

Old Post 11-15-2002 09:50 PM
Wingless Flyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingless Flyer Click here to Send Wingless Flyer a Private Message Find more posts by Wingless Flyer Add Wingless Flyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

We Terrans could do the same thing. For a long time, I've been toying with the idea of writing about human soldiers wearing encapsulated battle armor, with the bubble-type helmet/visor for protection against gas and outer space. You know how the visors on such space helmets are opaque or covered in gold film? These futuristic soldiers would have the same sort of visor, but instead of one solid hue, the visor would have instead this holographic imprint like the kind you'd find on a novelty sticker or on sunglasses. The images that are printed? Stuff like animal heads, various kinds of skulls, or any other sort of frightening image designed to throw fear into all who "look them in the eye".

With the visor down, such a soldier would appear to be a skeletal wraith encased in modern combat armor, for example.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 11-15-2002 10:04 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zak Fox
Mmmmm Snu Snu

Did anyone think that maybe the red glowy eyethings on the side of the serpent helmet have something to do with it.
Maybe the fact that they are red means they have nightvision.
I dunno I'm prob talking rubbish.

Old Post 11-15-2002 11:02 PM
Zak Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zak Fox Click here to Send Zak Fox a Private Message Visit Zak Fox's homepage! Find more posts by Zak Fox Add Zak Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

No Zak Fox, i dont think u are, the only problem is the one stated originallyby Wingless flyer. How can they see out thoose eyes if their eyes are only reaching about half way up the neck of the helmet.

What if insteah of RHs idea of a holographic display, which i cant see the the Goa'uld putting in every helmet of thoose easy to kill Jaffa. what about a material the could say make the helmet translucent from the inside? that way u could still be the menacing god like figure and still see.

Albert Einstein

Old Post 11-16-2002 06:08 AM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffa
No Zak Fox, i dont think u are, the only problem is the one stated originallyby Wingless flyer. How can they see out thoose eyes if their eyes are only reaching about half way up the neck of the helmet.

What if insteah of RHs idea of a holographic display, which i cant see the the Goa'uld putting in every helmet of thoose easy to kill Jaffa. what about a material the could say make the helmet translucent from the inside? that way u could still be the menacing god like figure and still see.

Yeah, the Goa'uld would never dream of equipping every helmet with a visual display. Much like they'd never bother issuing an energy weapon that can burn a hole in its foe from many paces away...

"Apophis does grant you, in your loyal service to his charge and will, the magic by which your eyes will become one with the Serpent, so that you make seek out his foes even amidst the shadows where they cower, and lay painful death upon them..." ...sound implausible, anyone?

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 11-16-2002 06:41 AM
Jonas

It is a Gods will.

Old Post 11-16-2002 06:51 AM
Jonas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonas Click here to Send Jonas a Private Message Find more posts by Jonas Add Jonas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

ok fine so mabye he would, and i was wrong, i just dont see the Goa'uld equiping the helmets with something that advanced like when the rest of the uniform is crap.

Albert Einstein

Old Post 11-16-2002 06:53 AM
president doc

I do see them equipping them with that, didnt anyone see the weapons turret in beneath the fire, or whatever the hell it was called.

Old Post 11-16-2002 08:25 AM