Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > New Poll: What does the Ninth Stargate Chevron do?
What do you think the ninth chevron on the Stargate does?
Reverses the direction of the wormhole
Sets a timer for when the gate will open
Allows you to jump between multiple gates at one address
Makes the gate look symmetrical
Other option
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
Pages (9): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
president doc

quote:
Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
1471? You people are funny. How is one supposed to remember that?

as opposed to *69?

1471 tells you who called last, and they form the left hand column on the phone, not too difficult... 141 witholds your number.

The issue is when you look at the DHD with a quick glance and memorise the coordinates before they go dark again... not when you have a supercomputer analysing combinations to work out where someone went... Im sure the order doesnt matter in the show, and it shouldnt matter if part of a coordinate system. Apart from the last coordinate of course.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 02-22-2002 07:09 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

The order most certainly would matter, because if you look at the 39 symbols or glyphs, there are billions of combinations of combinations of six symbols strings (sum of N and N-1 from 39 to 1), but if you choose to put them in any order, then it is a bit easier, and limits the number of gates the network can accomodate. Furthermore, I believe that the destination of the outgoing wormhole is determined by inputting the glyphs as terms in an equation, and then calculating an output, and if you randomly scatter six terms into an equation, then you will get many different outputs.

Old Post 02-22-2002 07:39 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

The number of combinations if order matters (and for 38 cheverons, I didn't count the unique one) is 1,987,690,320
And if order doesn't matter it's 2,760,681

And, while I'm at it, the number of combinations for the lottery (using six numbers from 42) is 5,245,786 making the chance of winning it 1.90,629 * 10^-07 (0.000,000,190,629).

I need to get out more

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 02-22-2002 07:56 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

No you don't, you just need to post like that more. Maths Rocks!

Old Post 02-22-2002 07:59 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Ahhhh, as far as math goes, KC has...
Come up behind
pulled around
laugh's madly
and speeds on away.

Or I can't remember how to do this, but who cares, it's friday!!

Old Post 02-22-2002 08:04 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Not that hard really (just too many hours studying for my mocks have taken their toll, now I just have to do the actual shagging test:eek, I used a calculator (handy them nPr/nCr functions)

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 02-22-2002 08:28 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

Yeah, the permutations thing is easy, I got it wrong cause I had this idea in my head about squares, I stil haven't figured out what it's from.

Old Post 02-22-2002 08:30 PM
Barry
A big honking space gun!

I used to think until someone in the show said otherwise that an incoming wormhole when getting established say at the SGC and Sg-1 are dialing from offworld that at the gate in the SGC the cheverons would lock on what the offworld planet`s glyphs were. If you see what I mean I`m tired and can`t be bothered typing a better explanation.

Old Post 02-22-2002 08:36 PM
Barry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barry Click here to Send Barry a Private Message Find more posts by Barry Add Barry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

quote:
Originally posted by Barry
I`m tired and can`t be bothered typing a better explanation.
Shame, as I have no idea.

Old Post 02-22-2002 08:41 PM
president doc

The order shouldnt matter.

Espeicially the way they go about dialling addresses, if they give a box of coordinates, and we all know what i think of that, but anyhow.... why the hell would the order in which you specify those coordinates make one jot of a difference....exactly, it doesnt! As for the number of gates, im sure a number in the low millions would more than satisfy the needs of a stargate system, remember, they do have a couple of redundant cheverons anyway, im sure if they built the network, they could not only use them for inputting extra distance variables, but for including variables to introduce extra gates into the network.

Old Post 02-22-2002 10:20 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

Thats crap, me and KC are sooo right, acceptar as they say in Spain.

Old Post 02-22-2002 10:22 PM
president doc

nope, theyve never shown order to matter. And ya sooooooooo know they wouldnt need billions of gates...cummmmmmmmmmon

Old Post 02-22-2002 10:29 PM
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

If order didnt matter then Daniel's super fast dialling would be cool, but I am with the maths on this one. You gotta do it in order. Doc, bow before your god.

Old Post 02-22-2002 10:34 PM
president doc

Sure there are more combinations when you do it in any order, but that doesnt matter, as the system merely takes the input of 6 symbols as the 6 coordinates in space, and regardless of the way they are put in, establish the wormhole.
If they were to allow order to effect the dialling, so that you could have several gates within a certain small area, ie within the box that they showed in the movie, that would still only allow for a finite number of gates per quadrant, and no more than that.. I stick by my low millions of gates made hundreds of thousands of years ago, with room for expansion included by the extra cheverons.

Old Post 02-22-2002 10:43 PM
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

If I weren't so drunk, my math would shame you, retract god damn it!!!

Old Post 02-22-2002 10:46 PM