Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > New Poll: What does the Ninth Stargate Chevron do?
What do you think the ninth chevron on the Stargate does?
Reverses the direction of the wormhole
Sets a timer for when the gate will open
Allows you to jump between multiple gates at one address
Makes the gate look symmetrical
Other option
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
Pages (9): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kiya
lusus naturae

Thanks! Can't say I noticed that at all. You guys obviously look closely at stuff! Good excuse for me to watch the ep again. *ponders what the ninth chevron might do* Maybe it's just another distance one, to go even further away; to call up the Ancients or maybe the Furlings or someone else...I wonder if we finally get to see those guys in Season 6?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 02-21-2002 05:39 PM
kiya is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kiya Click here to Send kiya a Private Message Find more posts by kiya Add kiya to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

I reckon its caller ID withold.

Old Post 02-21-2002 05:48 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kiya
lusus naturae

It's a shame they don't seem to have 1471. That would make running to the DHD in a desperate attempt to identify the planet a goa'uld had just gated to before the lights go out pretty much obsolete.

Old Post 02-21-2002 07:07 PM
kiya is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kiya Click here to Send kiya a Private Message Find more posts by kiya Add kiya to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

quote:
Originally posted by kiya
It's a shame they don't seem to have 1471. That would make running to the DHD in a desperate attempt to identify the planet a goa'uld had just gated to before the lights go out pretty much obsolete.
It's a stupid idea anyway, if you see six unique glowing glyphs on the DHD, how many worlds does that narrow it down to? 36. So, you have to check 36 different combinations to be sure of finding them, thats if they haven't already gated away again from the other world.

Old Post 02-21-2002 07:44 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

It narrows it down to 6! which is 720. Don't think I'd want to go checking all of them!

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 02-21-2002 07:54 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

I'm sure that with six glyphs, there are only 36 ways to arrange them, but I might be wrong, yep, something tells me I am wrong..

Old Post 02-21-2002 07:59 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

I hate maths, I hate maths, I HATE MATHS! But them mocks are over...

Anyway, I'll try and explain it too you (even my teacher finds permutations hard to explain, grrrr).
There are 6 options for the first glyph, five for the second, four for the third, three for the forth, two for the fifth and one for the sixth (taking the one used glyph away each time).
Thus giving us 6*5*4*3*2*1 = 6! = 720.

Boggles the brain, that does (I'm not being sarcastic, it really does)

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 02-21-2002 08:09 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

I do believe KC has beaten you O'Connel.

Old Post 02-21-2002 08:14 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

1471? You people are funny. How is one supposed to remember that?

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 02-21-2002 08:16 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

quote:
Originally posted by Kamakazi Casper
I hate maths, I hate maths, I HATE MATHS! But them mocks are over...

Anyway, I'll try and explain it too you (even my teacher finds permutations hard to explain, grrrr).
There are 6 options for the first glyph, five for the second, four for the third, three for the forth, two for the fifth and one for the sixth (taking the one used glyph away each time).
Thus giving us 6*5*4*3*2*1 = 6! = 720.

Boggles the brain, that does (I'm not being sarcastic, it really does)

I knew I was wrong up there, but couldn't think. What am I thinking of, what is it in which the possible number of outcomes = the square of the inputs..

Old Post 02-21-2002 08:32 PM
president doc

well, the thing with that is it doesnt matter what order theyre put in except for the last one. after all, they are just coordinates in space...sigh... and i aint gonna go into that old 6 point BS either

Old Post 02-21-2002 09:38 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Barry
A big honking space gun!

There was a small space beneath the seven cheveron space don`t know if it was always there though and it was basically a graph until the 8th one appeared and ther number 8 appeared next to it and you know the rest.

Old Post 02-22-2002 04:51 PM
Barry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barry Click here to Send Barry a Private Message Find more posts by Barry Add Barry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Jack screwed the computers around, whos to say he didnt put that little bit in just for that one dial?

Old Post 02-22-2002 06:10 PM
kiya
lusus naturae

If you knew there was a maximum of 720 combinations, surely not all of them would establish a wormhole? They wouldn't necessarily all be for active gates. Wouldn't that narrow it down a bit? Also, if it's a Goa'uld who's just disappeared through the gate, it's likely that the co-ordinates of the place they've gated to would be derived from the Abydos cartouche (rather from the Ancients). That should narrow it down a bit more...

Old Post 02-22-2002 06:42 PM
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

quote:
Originally posted by kiya
If you knew there was a maximum of 720 combinations, surely not all of them would establish a wormhole? They wouldn't necessarily all be for active gates. Wouldn't that narrow it down a bit? Also, if it's a Goa'uld who's just disappeared through the gate, it's likely that the co-ordinates of the place they've gated to would be derived from the Abydos cartouche (rather from the Ancients). That should narrow it down a bit more...
Yeah, you're right, now we've only got 300 worlds to dial and check.

Old Post 02-22-2002 07:07 PM