Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > New Poll: What does the Ninth Stargate Chevron do?
What do you think the ninth chevron on the Stargate does?
Reverses the direction of the wormhole
Sets a timer for when the gate will open
Allows you to jump between multiple gates at one address
Makes the gate look symmetrical
Other option
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Khan
Ya sure ya betcha

The NINE chevrons...

What's the deal with the ninth chevron?

Normally seven chevrons are needed to dial to another stargate on another planet. The last being the point of origin right?

*** SPOILER THE FIFTH RACE ***
In the episode "The Fifth Race", eight chevrons were needed to dial to the respective stargate of the Asgard, since I reckon that they live in another galaxy/milkyway. So this means chevron eight is the symbol for the galaxy you dial from.

Now we got that cleared out, what's the deal with the ninth chevron? Perhaps it has some link with 'time'? Or perhaps another dimension? Anyone ideas?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 02-18-2002 07:03 PM
Khan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Khan Click here to Send Khan a Private Message Find more posts by Khan Add Khan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

It exstablishes a wormhole to my backyard.

I don't know, nearly anything I guess.

Or maybe it was just a empty space after laying out the chevrons so they made another to go there.

Old Post 02-18-2002 07:05 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majson
The Quantum Leaper

hmm yeah a ninth chevron would probably be a different time or dimension or the 8th chevron to say adifferent galaxy and the 9th for the planetary system in that galaxy

Old Post 02-18-2002 07:44 PM
Majson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majson Click here to Send Majson a Private Message Visit Majson's homepage! Find more posts by Majson Add Majson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

In an 8 symbol dial, the 8th chevron is your planet point of origin. The 7th chevron is the galaxy you are dialing to.

Old Post 02-18-2002 09:17 PM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Quite frankly, everyone in the Stargate universe (the Tau'ri, the Tollan, the Nox, the Asgaard, the Goa'uld, etc) have been using the Stargate wrong. The big boy Ancients probably used all nine chevrons in their day-to-day operation of the Stargate to travel to whatever funky planes of reality they loved to hang around in. All the younger races are only using a limited function of the gates.

A hacker can tear into the entire operating structure of a computer, usings strings and commands the layman knows nothing about. The newbie computer user is stuck in the Windoze interface, pressing the pretty icons with the little arrow.

The Ancients are the hackers. We're the silly-dilly grandmas sitting in front of a PC for the first time. We're only going to use the seven chevrons because our Windoze OS (the DHD) will only allow us to use only those seven chevrons.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 02-18-2002 09:33 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

Indeed, though the Asgaard and the Ancients (how crap a frickin name is that) are most likely the best of pals.

Old Post 02-18-2002 10:12 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Barry
A big honking space gun!

quote:
Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael

We're only going to use the seven chevrons because our Windoze OS (the DHD) will only allow us to use only those seven chevrons.

Not true you push the red centre of the DHD after you have put in the amount of symbols you want to so you could dial in 8 or 9 then push the red centre. I havea feeling this is the cause and I thought "Beast of Burden" might have something to do with it ut from what I remember that guy (Unas Traider) says he spent hours pushing in symbols not that he tried diffrent combonations of 7.

Old Post 02-19-2002 04:02 PM
Barry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barry Click here to Send Barry a Private Message Find more posts by Barry Add Barry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tok'ra, kree!

I seem to remember Sam not saying that it was to dial another galaxy, just that it added extra distance to the wormhole. So, the ninth chevron will likely be used to take the wormhole even father than the galaxy the Asgard were in. Who knows, it could even go all over the universe.
Maybe the 6 symbols used to dial normally are turning points in a wormholes course, because if you look at the traveliing sequence, it doesn't just go in a straight line. Therefore, more turning points needed to go further?

Old Post 02-19-2002 04:16 PM
Tok'ra, kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tok'ra, kree! Click here to Send Tok'ra, kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Tok'ra, kree! Add Tok'ra, kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

I had an expression to calculate wormhole distance/direction somewhere, with all 9 chevrons, and what they meant, in one of the threads somewhere, I just can't be bothered looking for it.

Old Post 02-19-2002 05:47 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Knowing them pesky ancients, they probably put it in just to confuse people

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 02-19-2002 07:08 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

I think the ancients must have also wrote a TV series.

Old Post 02-19-2002 07:12 PM
Lnt.kaos
Grrrrrr!

in the fifth race wot sysmbol dose cevron 8 lock?

Old Post 02-20-2002 08:09 PM
Lnt.kaos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lnt.kaos Click here to Send Lnt.kaos a Private Message Find more posts by Lnt.kaos Add Lnt.kaos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tok'ra, kree!

The symbol of earth. Heh, remember the chevron guy's bemused reaction! "Chevron 7 is... encoded?". Damn fine episode that one

Old Post 02-21-2002 05:26 AM
Tok'ra, kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tok'ra, kree! Click here to Send Tok'ra, kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Tok'ra, kree! Add Tok'ra, kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kiya
lusus naturae

What ninth chevron?!

Please bear with me if I'm being more than a bit stupid, but I've not even heard of a ninth chevron. I remember there being 8 in The Fifth Race, but where was there any reference to there being 9? You need 6 to pinpoint the destination and the 7th to know where you're starting out from. The 8th one in Fifth Race I'd always thought of as like a telephone code for a country; like when you dial the UK from Europe you have to add a couple of digits. Why would you need a ninth?

Old Post 02-21-2002 05:01 PM
kiya is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kiya Click here to Send kiya a Private Message Find more posts by kiya Add kiya to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

lol, cheveron guy in that episode was that guy who had a crush on Sam, he reminds me too much of myself, the blithering idiot...sigh...

there are nine cheverons on all gates, two of them just happen to be beneath the ramp, in the fifth race which was just shown twice today on skyone, (I may have missed the scene) but from what I remember, they squeezed it together to show 8 lit cheverons....but if you look in threshhold at the floating gate, there are clearly 9 cheverons, and untill the writers tell us what the 9th does, no one will truely know!

Old Post 02-21-2002 05:33 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote