Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > Jack Lovers!!!
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by Rithmah
In reality, wolves are pack animals with a very organized social structure, including the alpha male and the alpha female to whom all other members must submit. The alpha male (Jack in this case) is constantly showing his rank to all other members, especially when they become threatening and try in invade his domain.

Also, wolves are some of the most loyal and dedicated animals alive. They will live and die for their pack as necessary for the survival of the group.

Though some wolves have been known to split from the pack, and live in solitude, which Jack's behaviour could perhaps be seen when he retired after the movie. Who has ever threatened Jack's domain? What is his domain? SG1? Well, that's ironic, it's not like he got it himself, it was assigned to him.

And what social animals won't die for their group?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 09-02-2002 06:24 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

Location: On the potak taking a shitak in the peltak with Selmak on Delmak

Yes, there are lone wolves that wander in solitude because they were ostracised from the group. I suppose you could say that Jack was a "lone wolf" after the movie, but once he was returned to active duty and assigned to SG-1, his "pack", he became "alpha male" in that group. He's the commanding officer. He's in charge.

There have been "threats" if you will to Jack's status as the commander, as seen in "The Tomb" when he was being highly compeditive with the Russian colonel. There are obvious signs of "aggression" and disputes over who is in command.

quote:
Originally posted by Venus

Many social animals live in groups that are unstable and must deal with internal strife and external competition. In groups such as these, it ultimately comes down to the survival of the individual instead of the group. An example would be lions. If the pride is being threatened by another male who eventually takes over that pride, he will kill all cubs that are not his offspring. The females do nothing to stop this and do not sacrifice themselves to defend their cubs. A new group is formed, and the females will be cooperative with the alpha male until a stronger one comes along and defeats him.

Few social animals are as solidified, structured, and stable as wolves. Unlike other social animals, the alpha male is not the only male in the group. There are usually several other males that are subordinate to him but are not ostracised and ridiculed by the group.

And, by the way, I started this idea because I found the parallels amusing, but I am having fun arguing my point.

I have a Vespa and two cats!

Old Post 09-02-2002 07:08 PM
Rithmah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rithmah Click here to Send Rithmah a Private Message Find more posts by Rithmah Add Rithmah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

Jack, er... plays stupid, has cool lines, and blows shit up with thermonuclear devices...

He's also sneaky and shtumped Carter when she couldn't remember it .

C'mon people!

(And people ragged on me about the "Carter's Underwear Poll"!!!)

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 09-02-2002 07:29 PM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

quote:
Originally posted by Deathbunny
and blows shit up with thermonuclear devices...

You know what, in that line, you sum up everything thats so cool about the guy... YES.. THATS WHY I LOVE HIM!!!!

Old Post 09-02-2002 07:36 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

But he wouldn't have the devices if it weren't for Sam.

Rithmah - You're getting way to into it. I'm that that hugely a fan of Jack to debate him so much.

Old Post 09-02-2002 08:18 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Captn Carter
So I can do this....

quote:
Originally posted by president doc
They let their women do all the work, and take all the benefits

Jack and Sam relationship?
*laughs*
I love how a conversation on Jack turned into a debate about the social structures of Lions and Wolfs....
I think Jack wouldn't mind being compared to a Wolf.. they're part dog, and I've heard Jack AND RDA say...
"Dogs are my favorite people."

For a little bit of Aussie with your Sci-fi
Austr-alien.com

Old Post 09-03-2002 09:55 AM
Captn Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Captn Carter Click here to Send Captn Carter a Private Message Visit Captn Carter's homepage! Find more posts by Captn Carter Add Captn Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otis
Egyptaholic

Jack represents the "older" man who can still be sexy, still command loyalty, and look so damn good in those pants.

Old Post 09-03-2002 10:51 AM
Otis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Otis Click here to Send Otis a Private Message Find more posts by Otis Add Otis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus
Common Sense-less

quote:
Originally posted by Venus

Humans. The most selfish animal on the planet!

And, on the subject of Jack. Well, I really don't know, I don't really see a character in a Sci-Fi series (same for other genres such as soaps etc) as a person, especially as he could be the complete opposite in real life. I just go by the motto WYSIWYG. Therefore, his character is just what his character is created to be. Oh, but, he is kinda good-looking.

Relationships between characters in these type of shows (shipping or something?) really is just darn pointless, turns into a baywatch; watched only by some love obsessed women .

One thing I do agree on though - Dogs are the best people! Loyal as loyal can be.

Last edited by Deus on 09-03-2002 at 11:00 AM

Old Post 09-03-2002 10:56 AM
Deus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deus Click here to Send Deus a Private Message Find more posts by Deus Add Deus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by Deus
One thing I do agree on though - Dogs are the best people! Loyal as loyal can be.

[insert whatever Robert De Niro said in Meet The Parents about dogs and cats affection.] Cats rule.

Old Post 09-03-2002 11:21 AM
president doc

lol, I love it when people say that humans are the only creatures which fight each other or are selfish.
Every species on this planet is filled with selfish beings.
Humans have learnt that cooperation often leads to advancement... and ive had this reply sitting here for 20 minutes and forgot about it...

Old Post 09-03-2002 11:24 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus
Common Sense-less

Oh no. Cats are far too scratchy any annoying, dogs resemble more of a companion, more friendly etc. Oh and cats smell more.

Doc - I think the difference is humans have more intelligence. I don't moan about selfishness, as we all are . So it doesn't bother me. But, I never said we were the only creatures on the planet to be like that ;p.

*steals toy*

Last edited by Deus on 09-03-2002 at 11:45 AM

Old Post 09-03-2002 11:42 AM
Deus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deus Click here to Send Deus a Private Message Find more posts by Deus Add Deus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tula
Gypsy

quote:
Originally posted by zepher

Well.... I could say his wit, his sarcasm, his little kid way of looking at things, his cool way of stating things (Eunuchs, as in snippity doo dah? Sorry Queen Lou, but I love that line).

BUT - in my reality I would really have to say...its because..

*shouts* "What a hunk"

but that's looking through my eyes, with my thoughts

Good list, although Zepher, I would have to add - *his Body* - not that I have studied it in any great detail

I got a Noddy Badge for Being *Nuked*

Old Post 09-03-2002 01:02 PM
Tula is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tula Click here to Send Tula a Private Message Find more posts by Tula Add Tula to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

His body? I wasn't really impressed in ... the Broca Divde. Or was it Hathor?

I'm sure George Clooney has a better body, even if he is 10 years younger.

Old Post 09-03-2002 02:37 PM
zepher
dreamer

Oh Tula, the body???
Venus - George Clooney????

Thinks of appropriate response

Last edited by zepher on 09-03-2002 at 07:28 PM

Old Post 09-03-2002 07:21 PM
zepher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zepher Click here to Send zepher a Private Message Find more posts by zepher Add zepher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zepher
dreamer

Tula

The body, well haven't seen much of it, Hathor episode showed a little
Quote, Sam "Wow", Jack "Crunches"

Deliberate misquote...Chrunchiessss, bbbbbringggg on that FFFFriday feelin! For those of you old enough and sad enough to remember the advert eh Tula....

Old Post 09-03-2002 07:25 PM
zepher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zepher Click here to Send zepher a Private Message Find more posts by zepher Add zepher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote