Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > Devlin on potential STARGATE trilogy
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Venus

Yeah, you're right on both counts pres, was wondering how long it would take someone to catch me out, I need to watch the movie before I go spouting off about it.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 06-25-2002 05:58 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

Majson - agreed. I knew he'd fought for sequel movies originally, but 6 years later?????? Something must have triggered this reaction, or maybe he was just so farking sick of people saying 'hey i bet you wish you'd made the sequels now!!' when buzz got around about MGM wanting a(nother) Stargate Film.

If the 'boys' could get along, i think Devlin, with Wright and the SG-1 cast, maybe a few b-list hollywood names, could really make this film into something worthwhile.....

Old Post 06-26-2002 03:53 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

Well I still think the movie is better. There is more character development in it than there is in 2 episodes of stargate (which is a fair comparison).
You must remember that Stargate was written as the first part of a trilogy, and the characters (especially the Earth characters) were meant to develop over the three movies.
Parts 2 and 3 didn't get made because Le Studio Canal+ was having trouble building up the funds for a few years, and MGM stepped in and got Glassner and Wright to make a TV show, and they TOTALLY IGNORED PARTS TWO AND THREE. They weren't even told stargate was part of a trilogy. Glassner and Wright didn't even read the stargate novel to find out how to spell the character's names! They even got some of the names completely wrong! (Ferreti and Kowalsky's names and ranks have been hacked) As well as slowly losing the plot, and turning the show into another sci-fi cash cow, they've associated the word Stargate with Macgyver, and pretty much screwed up the whole concept.

Stargate = win
Stargate SG-1 = wtf... ?

I would much rather see the classic cast and writers finish the storyline as it was originally written.

Old Post 06-26-2002 04:53 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

And if you don't completely agree with me, then you are just a lame sci-fi geek who should go back to watching Babylonia 6 or whatever nerd crap you wish Stargate was.

Old Post 06-26-2002 04:56 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

aye Goa'uld, i must say my feelings about it more closely resemble yours.. i guess i'm a fan of the series because.. well, it's better than no stargate at all. if it was choice between the two, however, i'd say the movie.

Tho who are talking about no character development - WHAT THE HELL??? are you the kind of people that need to have 'change' shoved down your throats (in the form of a serialised tv show) before you'll notice it??? *flips you all off*

Old Post 06-26-2002 05:23 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Anyway, Devlins trilogy will never happen.
When I first heard of SG1 I thought id never get used to them changing all the charaters, after all, Kurt Russel WAS Jack O'neil. But...after 6 years, ive gotton used to him

Old Post 06-26-2002 08:53 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

i still hate him.

Old Post 06-26-2002 10:12 AM
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

Has anyone ever listened to the commentary of Stargate on DVD by Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich? I think when they mention the show it appears that Devlin seems to kick up a fuss more than Emmerich. And was it not also Devlin who kicked up more of a fuss at the time when SG-1 was coming about? I bet Emmerichsecretly watches SG-1 Devlin apparantly thinks that the series has killed off Ferretti. He mentions it at the end of the commentary.

quote:
originally posted by Jaffa, kree!
i still hate him.

hate who JK?

quote:
originally posted by Goa'uld
Glassner and Wright didn't even read the stargate novel to find out how to spell the character's names!

Well somebody read the novel because somehow the Stargate in the series is very much like one in the novel. The Stargate in the movie does not have a jewel inside the chevron that glows up when enagaged, but the novelisation of the movie has a glowing jewel inside the chevron.

You gotta admit though, although Glassner did make a few boo-boos he really was one of the good writers of the show. When he left the show, it started to change direction slightly, but of late they seem to have veered back on course to making some good stories. The season five sub plot of the unknown Goa'uld has been quite interesting. The season five finale was a classic return to the old skool and an excellent showcase of the SVFX.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 06-26-2002 01:09 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majson
The Quantum Leaper

Glassner and Wright rulled when it came to writting top quality scripts new writers came in, show changed direction, now going back on track which is good but then you do need a change in track i guess after 5 years...

Old Post 06-26-2002 03:43 PM
Majson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majson Click here to Send Majson a Private Message Visit Majson's homepage! Find more posts by Majson Add Majson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

I'm with JK and Goa'uld. I'd rather see D&E's version than a continuation of the series. Partly because the series has been going downhill ever since Glassner left, and partly because I really can't stand RDA anymore.

I was channel surfing last Friday, caught part of 'Descent', and I couldn't believe RDA's performance. He'd stand there, looking half asleep until someone spoke to him, then he'd jump a little, and act like "oh, is it my line now?. Get rid of him, I'm much rather see Kurt Russell. At least HE stays awake in his scenes. I liked Spader's Daniel too, although I'd be happy to see MS in the role.

I think the SciFi channel made a big mistake when they ran the movie the day before the show aired. All it did was show 1) how much the premise of the show has changed - the only character left was Jack and he went from competent professional to idiot, and 2) how cheap and cheesy the show is. There's no comparing the effects, and Anubis looked like something out of Dr. Who. (Don't get me wrong, I loved Dr. Who, but the effects were ludicrous.)

Last month I wanted the series continued on the big screen, now I'm hoping that D&E get their wish.

Old Post 06-26-2002 08:11 PM
JoJo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoJo Click here to Send JoJo a Private Message Visit JoJo's homepage! Find more posts by JoJo Add JoJo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColJ
Jack O'Neill's De-briefer

Hmmmm, you sound alot like one of those bitter SDJ'ers to me JoJo. You know that group that's been spreading nasty lies about RDA , and would like to see the show's demise cause poor wittle MS decided to leave. Seems all those SDJ'ers who were never going to watch the show again are still watching eh.
RDA is just as good an acter, if not better, then KR. I like both of them, but I'd definitely prefer to see RDA in the sequel based on the series of course.

Old Post 06-27-2002 05:06 AM
ColJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ColJ Click here to Send ColJ a Private Message Find more posts by ColJ Add ColJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

i'd prefer KR. Must more intensity, precense, than RDA has..

Jo Jo had it EXACTLY right what she said about RDA looking alseep or distracted until he had to say his line. He is diverging further and further away from a believable Military personnel, let alone one of rank. He's not convincing, doesn't have any screen presence and his acting 'ability' is an insult to the rest of the people in the show.

Old Post 06-27-2002 05:13 AM
nug
Melon

This is just gettin' nasty, what's with all the rda slagging. As for being believable, please.....it's a tv show. What do you expect. You're looking for reality? Don't watch a scifi show where they save the world every 4th episode.

And this s*** about being 'true' fans sounds unnervingly familiar. Anyone who says crap like that is just like all the SJDers, just with a different agenda. fcol 'true fan' crap drives me insane...it's so freaking ridiculous *snort*

Old Post 06-27-2002 11:25 AM
nug is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nug Click here to Send nug a Private Message Find more posts by nug Add nug to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Locutus
of Borg

quote:
They even got some of the names completely wrong! (Ferreti and Kowalsky's names and ranks have been hacked)

Kawalsky and Ferretti. Wanker.

If you don't like the series, why the fuck are you still here? Why the fuck are you still a moderator? Wanker, wanker, wanker.

Old Post 06-27-2002 12:05 PM
Locutus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Locutus Click here to Send Locutus a Private Message Find more posts by Locutus Add Locutus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majson
The Quantum Leaper

The problem with most of D&E scripts is that they lack something, i cant quite put my finger on it, but in the good episodes of SG-! i felt more involved than i do with D&E movies.

Ok yes RDA has gone a little downhill of late, but i dont think you can doubt his ablility, he's proven he can act easily in previous episodes.

And although he's the only one left from the film, well that's just development after 6 years you wouldnt expect every member of the team to still be alive after fighting a war with the gou'ald would you?

Besides, i think some of the additions have been great, hammond is way better than West, and Teal'c just oozes class.

I think KR looked more milatry than RDA but im not a fan of KR, JS was good as daniel but i prefered MS and i think RDa and MS had a better on screen relationship than KR and JS.

We dont even know if any more Stargate movies will take place. I think GLassner would return for the movie, to write it with Wright (especially since they have said they had the idea since the end of the 1st series) and maybe they could seek Devlins advice etc...

But i think ignoring the series, no matter what film we had, would be the wrong idea. as most of the people who would go see the film, are those who watch the series. After 6 years you just cant ignore whats happened, the fans would feel cheated and the series would become meaningless.

Old Post 06-27-2002 01:14 PM
Majson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majson Click here to Send Majson a Private Message Visit Majson's homepage! Find more posts by Majson Add Majson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote