Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Interesting note about the possible new character (spoilers end of S5 and S6)
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
president doc

Just one point RH, If I were to give an internal combustion engine to scientists in the 18th century, They may just beable to replicate it, with all their effort and technology, if the blue prints for both it and the techniques and machinery involved in building it were provided, now if I were to give them a microchip, even with the blueprints, I guarantee you it would be as useful to them as it would be to a donkey, especially if I asked them to build one over 5 years! They technology is just too far beyond them, the quality controls needed in manufacture, the tolerences involved, the materials research, the very science itself was beyond their current level of understanding, not only would they find the idea of 1000,000,000 transistors crammed onto a chip the size of little fingers nail mind boggling, they wouldnt know what a transistor was, and wouldnt even know what it did or the principles behind it, and thats just a microchip, now imagine a modern engine from a bimmer or audi, hundreds of microchips, control systems, engine mapping systems, catalytic convertors.. god knows what else... sure we could work it out, but its been 5 years, give em some time as for the ion cannon, for all we know, there could be a fundamental lack of understanding of concepts which are essential in the workings of an ion cannon!

Last edited by president doc on 12-02-2001 at 10:38 AM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-02-2001 10:35 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

I've been watching the first season eps. It really struck me how much MS's role has shrunk since then. He went from co-star to bit player. I can't blame him for leaving. I don't think it's a coincidence that the quality of the show has gone down. It went from an interesting action/adventure show, to a boring soap opera focused on Sam's love life (Narim, Martoof, Orlin, etc.).

Old Post 12-02-2001 05:53 PM
JoJo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoJo Click here to Send JoJo a Private Message Visit JoJo's homepage! Find more posts by JoJo Add JoJo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

quote:
Originally posted by president doc
... not only would they find the idea of 1000,000,000 transistors crammed onto a chip the size of little fingers nail mind boggling, they wouldnt know what a transistor was...

A microchip, no. But the transistors that comprises the microchip, yes! It doesn't look like Sam even thought we could derive something from the ion gun technology.

Plus, the 18th century was pre-Industrial. The "Industrial Revolution" wasn't a marketing gimmick, it was a paradigm shift in scientific, economic, and social influences on civilization.

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 12-03-2001 at 01:48 AM

Old Post 12-02-2001 08:33 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

this is a really fascinating conversation. (my reply will be rather disjointed, i'm sure- appologies in advance)

I agree with both sides of this 'technological advancement' debate.. I think there would be a limit on how far we could have advanced in 5 years, and that there would be, for example, componants of the ion cannon that we cannot yet duplicate,but that doesn't mean they cant learn anything from studying these blueprints. maybe adapt the firing mechanism to work with energies/elements or projectiles we alreay have at our disposal? Not just look at the whole thing and say 'we cant do that yet' and then throw it all in the waste bin!

This applies to other technology too, especially the Goa'uld techs. They are quite simple and obvious compared to other more advanceds techs.. Their composition and power source may be different to what we know - but we've already harnessed the power of naguadah (one for the other side - a 'technology' we have made progress with), and are able to break at least some of the technology down to it's more basic elements - we should be able to reproduce it with little effort. If not reproduce, than at least use it for our advantage. Smaller things like weapons (zats, staff weapons), hand (and hand held) devices we can use without problems (especially with Carter and her ex-symbiote-super-powers ).

Dont forget, we did attempt to move forward technologically with the adaption and modification of the Glider - which backfired spectacularily, but it was still an attempt that should be applauded, and not discourage us to try again with something else. The Tok'ra, in particular Jacob, are holding back on helping us truely prepare for the impending invasion (btw, i really liked that 'fort' analogy).

The whole point of telling the rest of earth that the stargate exists, and all the information that surrounds that (the existance of the Goa'uld, and other aliens on earth, the alliance etc etc) is a passion for me - I am TOTALLY for it being made public, and even if you keep with in the context of this being a sci-fi show, i think there are some remarkable plot and story-arc possibilities surrounding this idea. It's frustrating watching the show and knowing that they are limiting it's possibilities by a) turning it polictical b) not advancing to any level that is believable (both as explained above, and because it's just not plausable anymore for SG-1 to keep on winning), and c) keeping the whole Stargate program a secret.

In regards to those dissapointed by what MS said about his reasons for leaving the show - yes, it may come across as selfish and shallow, but that is not the case at all. There are many many reaons that combined for him to make this decision, and there is no way for us to know all of them. How do you know he *didn't* go to the writes, producers, the PTB etc etc and rally for Daniel to take a different direction, to grow, to have the focus work in his favour, or at least, have him more included in the myth-arcs of the show...? Maybe it was TPTB that didn't think Daniel was a viable enough character to keep him included in the show, hmm..?
His contract was up. He didn't have to renew it. Most actors like to make changes in order for them to sign up again so that they fully benifit from having to do another year of long hours, hard work, etc etc - if they aren't going to gain any satisfaction from it, then why should they have to endure it when they aren't obliged to, or if they aren't going to be happy doing it? Why ruin a year of your life when you have other options open to you? This doesn't mean he's washed his hands of the show, or that he wont regret his decision - but it was his decision, and he'll have to live with that - we only have to live without a much loved character on our TV sets once a week. Just be happy the show is still around, at least for a little while longer.
As someone mentioned above - would you rather he go out with a bang, or just put in a half-arsed effort and for him to be unhappy for a year? If you do, then that is rather selfish of you.

Old Post 12-03-2001 02:53 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote