Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Off Topic > Jehova's Witnesses and Christianity
Pages (18): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Deus
Common Sense-less

Jehova's Witnesses and Christianity

What do you say to them? I'm usually very open minded about things but they have the habit of coming when i'm really busy! I never am rude to them, like shutting the door as some people do, but when you say you don't believe in God they try to convert you on your doorstep. Whilst writing this I think i've realised what to say to them - "Yes, I believe in God" . Just what do you do when they visit?

When he asked why I believed in science rather than God, (due to the complete complexity of life and the improbability of science actually creating everything we have today - there's an equation somewhere about the probability of alien life occuring, but I cant remember who did it. Im sure Bose will tell me ) one of my mentions was the belief that the bible or older bible stated the Earth was only 10,000 years old.To which he looked puzzled and said that it doesn't believe it says that anywhere. I've never read the Bible but I have heard this somewhere, so who's right? (I guess it'll be him )

Disclaimer : I aint 'dissing' the religion in any way, just I think they should post leaflets through the doors, that way if anyone is interested, they can attend meetings. Although, they aren't as annoying as the door-to-door salesmen .

Last edited by Deus on 03-03-2002 at 01:05 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 03-03-2002 12:56 PM
Deus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deus Click here to Send Deus a Private Message Find more posts by Deus Add Deus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Just dont answer the door, if you happen to open the door by some misfortune, this is what you do....

"sorry" *door proceeds to close*.

Old Post 03-03-2002 01:43 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Osiris

Yeah, bad as it sounds I just don't open the door to them. Once I opened the door 'cos I was expecting my sister and it was these two men, I was on maternity leave at the time and my baby was crying to be fed and they wouldn't go, they just tried to speak louder than the baby was crying. I tried not to be rude, and told them that I had to go, but they just turned that conversation round again and kept talking. I thought that they were being rude when they could see that I had a baby to feed so in the end I told them that they could stand there and watch me breastfeed or they could go. They left pretty quickly then. (Course this one only works if you're female and have a young infant in your arms at the time!! )

Another time I tried telling them that I was a christian and they just stood there trying to persuade me that I was wrong so I gave up after that.

If someone is genuinely interested in your beliefs then they will ask about them and then you can have a talk about it and the decision is up to them.

Old Post 03-03-2002 02:00 PM
Osiris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Osiris Click here to Send Osiris a Private Message Find more posts by Osiris Add Osiris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

hmm, that explains why they didnt go that one time when i talked to them and told them i really needed to breast feed and they could watch me if they wanted... because i didnt have a baby in my arms..... *note to self, have baby*

Old Post 03-03-2002 02:51 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majson
The Quantum Leaper

whenever they come to my door i ask them if the bible says something laong the lines of "we all have an indivudual thought?" and they always say yes "yes we are told to respect the wihes of others" so my responce to that is always "ok good then respect my wish to not beleive in god and for you to piss off and leave me alone"

then i shut the door, i never get any problems

Old Post 03-03-2002 02:56 PM
Majson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majson Click here to Send Majson a Private Message Visit Majson's homepage! Find more posts by Majson Add Majson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

never give even a hint of interest or an inch, theyll mark yuo down and bug you forever, I remember when my grandma has talked to them for a while, or if she accepted a leaflet, and they just note you down and bug you for teh next year or so.

Old Post 03-03-2002 03:05 PM
Deus
Common Sense-less

Really? Gah, I took a leaflet

Old Post 03-03-2002 03:07 PM
Deus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deus Click here to Send Deus a Private Message Find more posts by Deus Add Deus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majson
The Quantum Leaper

My nan also accepted a leaflet a while ago, they came back every single sunday at the same time for a month, until i was there for the weekendand told em where to go basically.

i love doing it, makes me smile at being able to just be the person who's annoying them and not them annoying me

Old Post 03-03-2002 04:20 PM
Majson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majson Click here to Send Majson a Private Message Visit Majson's homepage! Find more posts by Majson Add Majson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by president doc
never give even a hint of interest or an inch,

Argh, they emotionally blackmailed me into accepting a video about Jesus once (Christian group, not Jehovah's Witnesses - whats the correct plural for that?) and like .. pursued me for over year, to all ends of the earth ... Still haven't watched or even unwrapped it.

Old Post 03-03-2002 04:31 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

details, I wanna know how they emotionally blackmailed you

Old Post 03-03-2002 04:43 PM
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Ha, never been bothered by any unwanted people on my doorstep (ahh, the joys of living in the country )

Just yell, "Rover, come and get your dinner" or scream and slam the door or throw something at them. I bet it would be fun.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 03-03-2002 06:57 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deus
Common Sense-less

I don't want to go to hell, KC

Old Post 03-03-2002 07:46 PM
Venus

My dad usually ends up asking them what they think of politics, or who they voted for and stuff ... I wanna ask them what they think about deforestation and stuff ... But never have the nerve ...

Old Post 03-03-2002 07:47 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Once when I was lonely, I invited them in for tea, after 6 hours of discussion, I went in to refill the kettle and when I got back, theyd dissapeared.

Old Post 03-03-2002 07:55 PM
Venus

With most of your jewels and stuff??

Old Post 03-03-2002 08:23 PM