Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Off Topic > The Lord Of The Rings
Pages (21): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

The Lord of the Rings

Oh my, oh my! Wow!

It was brilliant! They cut out and changed a lot of things from the book but that was to be ecpected (poor Tom Bombadil). The artwork was excellant, visually astounding! I loved Rivendell and Lothlorien espically.

Galadriel and Bilbo were scary when they got 'tested' I loved Legolas! He was brilliant with his bow, all the action scenes were great.

I didn't like the way they cut out things (Tom Bombadil, a lot when they were travelling to Rivendell, the pony) and changed some things, they made the dark rider's horses brown. Brown!!!

Anyway, gotta go see it again!

She hitched a ride to misery

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-19-2001 06:22 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeeMarie

I so want to see this film! I've been hooked on Tolkien since I read LOTRs when I was eleven. I'm going with some mates on Saturday to see it, to celebrate my birthday

Old Post 12-19-2001 08:25 PM
DeeMarie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DeeMarie Click here to Send DeeMarie a Private Message Find more posts by DeeMarie Add DeeMarie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

Thumbs up Five Stars, 100%, 10/10, Number One

Go and see this film. If you don't then you will have missed the greatest story ever to be told in the big screen. Goa'uld go and see it if you're reading this. The Lord of The Rings is no Mummy Returns. The story has some great mythology that rivals that of the Norse mythology. Yes the Norse mythology that has inspired the little grey men in Stargate SG-1 who are known as the Asgard.

Peter Jackson, The Director, has excelled himself and brought us a film that is both Arthouse and blockbusting. The story was solid as has been proved with the world wide success of the three novels, (The Fellowship of The Ring, The Two Towers, and The return of The King). Weta Digital, the company who created all of the Special Effects are sure to become one of the Main contenders with ILM in special effects Wizardry (pardon the pun). Star Wars is no match against this film especially if they keep putting in Jar Jar Binks. Even without Jar Jar Binks, the film is no match to this. Star Wars is too much about the Special Effects wheras Tolkiens stories where about how where his imagination could take his. He did not think about developing new technologies to create his world. However, we do owe george Lucas and ILM for developing the Digital world of cinema to the stage it is at now. The Lord of The Rins might never have been possible without him.

The films has a star studded cast whp perform their roles very well and believabley. if this film don't encourage the writers of Stargate to try and devlop their mythological aspects of the show much further and deeper then god knows what they will do?

Go and See this film asap! What more can one say. For anyone who has seen it, what is your favourite part?

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 12-19-2001 10:15 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andrea-T
Chocaholic

I am really excited about seeing this film. Am off to see it on Friday night with my friends- Yippeee.
That gives me 2 days to finish the book! I am glad that it is only the film of the first book otherwise I would stand no chance of reading the whole 1000+ mammoth book!

...the book is brilliant so far and I would definately recommend it to anyone. Its even managed to keep me away from reading Harry Potter for a week!

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Old Post 12-19-2001 11:14 PM
Andrea-T is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andrea-T Click here to Send Andrea-T a Private Message Find more posts by Andrea-T Add Andrea-T to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clayton

I saw it!

Any quibbles I have would have to do 1st with having read the series toooooo many times, 2nd with things that have shifted in our culture from the time the books were written, and 3rd with driving myself nuts trying to identify a couple of actors.

Elrond was Agent Smith from the Matrix and Gimli the Dwarf was John Rhys Davies from Sliders

Old Post 12-20-2001 01:25 AM
clayton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for clayton Click here to Send clayton a Private Message Find more posts by clayton Add clayton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DEATH
I AM YOUR DOOM

i cant wait either and i am in the prosess of reading the series buit i havto wait tilll boxing day over here in australia

Old Post 12-20-2001 05:36 AM
DEATH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DEATH Click here to Send DEATH a Private Message Find more posts by DEATH Add DEATH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I'm gonna go see it in less than 2 hours!! (Just posting on here before I go) I already have ... a soft spot... for Aragron and ... Legolas? and a lot of confidence in Frodo/Elijah Wood (after seeing an MTV docu!). I haven't read the book, although I did read The Hobbit when I was younger even though I can't actually rememeber it! Trouble is, you lot are saying how great it was, will the 2nd and 3rd ones be as good? (And hopw are they gonna do continuity? I mean, if it takes 6 years to make, then the actors will look well different, and might not be available!)

Anyway, I'll report back later!

Old Post 12-20-2001 09:17 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DEATH
I AM YOUR DOOM

thay should be better cause the second movie twin towers has lots of action

cause the origonal was in one book but they are usualy printed in 3 volumes cause otherwise it would be heaps thick(so there for the second book has all of the action and the climax and stuff so it is better

the first is good but tolkin spends 3/4 of the book establishing the charictors and plot(makes theothers good but you can get bogged down in the first book)

oh and did you know that tolkin wrote the book and created the place of middle earth so thet the language he invented(elven,which is a real language with grammer and all has about 10 fluent speakers in the world) whell any who the books were writen for that pourpose

and he wasnt unlike daniel he was a linguist too

ps)the elven language is based on finish(the language of finland,to clear up my bad spelling)

Old Post 12-20-2001 10:26 AM
DEATH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DEATH Click here to Send DEATH a Private Message Find more posts by DEATH Add DEATH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Oh Venus you silly billy, theyve shot the films back to back over many months, like the next two matrixes were/are being shot, and theyre gonna release the second one next year, and the third one the year after.

Old Post 12-20-2001 11:09 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

wow must be good

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 12-20-2001 12:49 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

second movie would have to be called twin towers wouldnt it.

Old Post 12-24-2001 09:24 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Can't believe they're holding the other two until next (or next next) year!! Does anyone know if TFOTR will be out on Sky or video by next Xmas?

I know, presdoc, I realised after I'd posted it.

I'm now totally in love with Legolas and Aragorn, and also quite into Viggo Mortensen (sp?) and Orlando Bloom. Has anyone seen any docu's on LOTRs? So far I've seen one on MTV and ITV. Apparently, Orlando (Orli) aka Legolas does bungee jumping and paragliding(?) in his free time!! (The ITV docu showed him actually bungee jumping outta a cable car!! ) I think he got Elijah too as well... And plus I've hard twice that apparently Viggo (Aragron) got a tooth knocked out during a swordfight (he insisted on doing all of his stunts), but he was so eager to carry on filming, that he went to the dentists during a lunch break, and got it superglued back in, and carried on!! That's dedication! Also, Cate Blanchett was saying how theres a kind of ... dedcation, or something, to this film, which, I think, is really cool, that they respect the book, and y'know, *want* the film to be successful, not only for the money. Although, considering they spent like, 2 years, together, filming it (each celebrated 2 birthdays!)they'd get pretty into it.

But, as to the actual film, definately, excellent, waaaaay better than any films I've seen this year, not only because of SFX, but acting and everything else as well. Except for maybe The Mummy Returns.

Spoiler:
Did anyone cry when Boromir died? While I was desperately trying to hold back, I suddenly became aware that the whole cinema was in tears (!), so I kinda just... gave in.

btw, has anyone seen erm... I think it's called... Black Hawk Down? (I might go and see it, but onyl cos it's got Orlando Bloom in!) Sigh, teenage crushes, who needs them...

Old Post 12-24-2001 10:32 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

was borimir played by the guy outta sharp?

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 12-24-2001 12:35 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andrea-T
Chocaholic

Oh my god!

That film was excellent!
I didn't even realise that I had been sat in the cinema for almost three house when it finished! It was a complete masterpiece and everything was fabulous! The acting was great especially from Elijah Wood and Vigo Mortensen (is that spelt right?) and the special effects were out of this world.
I could have easily stayed in the cinema and watched the other two films.
I thought the humour in it was good and quite appropriate too to lighten the story slightly and show the contrast from the bleak moments. Merry and Pippin were great characters played by Billy Boys and Dominic Monaghan from the UK. I am looking forward to seeing more of them in the next two films!

I agree with Venus about Orlando and Vigo but I also think that Elijah was quite cute in the film.

Did anyone else think it was really scary? Having read the book I knew what was coming but it was still downright spooky in the mines and the way that the effects were used when Frodo was wearing the ring.

*spoiler* (cant remember how to do the blue box thing)
The scene when Bilbo asked to hold the ring off Frodo in Rivendell was quite shock worthy. I wasn't expecting his face to change like that at all and me and my friends all jumped!

I am gonna read some more of the second book today!!

Happpy Christmas everyone!

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Last edited by Andrea-T on 12-24-2001 at 12:37 PM

Old Post 12-24-2001 12:35 PM
Andrea-T is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andrea-T Click here to Send Andrea-T a Private Message Find more posts by Andrea-T Add Andrea-T to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Nope Venus, I didn't find that the least bit sad! My sister and friend did though. I don't think that it will be out on Sky by then, I think that tptb are planning on releasing the first on video when the second comes out in the cinema. Or something like that.

The second book is called the Two Towers isn't it?

I've seen it twice now, even better second time round!

The elves don't look as good as I'd thought they would, Legolas and Elrond look the best. I was kind of iffy about Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn but he was great!

Pippen and Merry were hilarious! I can't wait to see them in the next book. (speaking of which you should see the guy who plays Merry! Nice)

Also, there was no way Gandalf would have made it down to Gondor and Isengard then back up in time to meet Frodo, not a chance!

I realised I've been pronouncing all the names wrong as well, way off!

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 12-24-2001 02:16 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote