Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Off Topic > A sad day for Australia......
Pages (9): « First ... « 7 8 [9]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Venus

I... um... have no idea what jihads or chads are btw.

quote:
Originally posted by Galen
It's been several years since I read Paradise Lost, but that isn't the Bible so it can't be guaranteed to be accurately represent Christian orthodoxy.

There are no loopholes in Christianity, just things you don't like.

No, but it picks holes in it.

There so are problems with Christianity, and these things I like! Hmmm.... Where to start.... Ever heard of the Problem of Evil? Or the Free Will Defence? (Two diff things)

quote:
I compared George W. Bush to Mullah Omar since they are on opposite sides of the conflict between the US and the Taliban. I
Well then *obviously* (I can just hear Jack's sarcasm!) you've gotta end up with a good and bad person. And I have no diea who Mullah Omar is, so I can't comment further.
quote:
It really throws a wrench into the idea that the Taliban aren't evil.

But how do you know what evil is? Have you seen perfection? IF the Taliban are evil, then surely there can't be any worse (say, I don't know.... A HOLOCAUST?!) Or if there are, then maybe there are just 'shades' or evil? Like, really evil, and just slightly evil? (No, I'm being serious!!) 'Cos then, how do you know there aren't shades of good? And the Taliban might just be at the worse end?!
quote:
I haven't heard that George W. Bush was to televise executions, but so what if he does? Remote controls are plentiful ... Fictious executions are televised and that doesn't make people violent, so I don't think real executions will be a problem.

Yeah, remote cobntrols are available to kids too, but they end up watching violent programmes and becoming violent themselves. Anwway, not that I need to prove it, but the fact that people used to (and still do) watch public executions (hence the "public") it shows that people just can't resist (why, when you go past an accident, is it second nature to look at the scene?!) So what makes you think people will turn the TV off? And besides, it's just reducing the value of life.

Last edited by Venus on 11-28-2001 at 09:28 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-28-2001 09:19 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

But how do you know what evil is? Have you seen perfection? IF the Taliban are evil, then surely there can't be any worse (say, I don't know.... A HOLOCAUST?!) Or if there are, then maybe there are just 'shades' or evil? Like, really evil, and just slightly evil? (No, I'm being serious!!) 'Cos then, how do you know there aren't shades of good? And the Taliban might just be at the worse end?!

whats yer point venus? sure, i can go and torture a billion people to death, thatd make me pretty bad now wouldnt it, but your missing the point if your agonising over just how 'evil' such and such is on a scale of one to ten, 'they' aint no angels, and theyre our enemy, thats basically how it works!

Old Post 11-28-2001 09:33 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I'm trying to establish that we can't or don't know evil. I know it's not *nice*, but I don't think it's evil. And I still don't think we have the right to take life. ...Neither does God, but it's not like we listen to him when it doesn't suit us....

Old Post 11-28-2001 09:47 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

You know people have run out of arguments (or never had any in the first place *cough* dubya) when they start using the word 'evil'.

Old Post 11-28-2001 11:28 PM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

quote:
You know people have run out of arguments...when they start using the word 'evil'.

Yes, when I see people crash planes into a buildings full of innocent people I say they are EVIL!!! Blood thirsty, sinister, brutal, evil people! They aren't civilized, they want to slaughter others, and if you get in their way they'll put a bullet between you eyes, without even thinking twice!! They are right up there with Hitler and the rest of the SS. Saying, "I don't like you I think you will die and if its a group of people, we'll just have some genocide." That is evil, plain and simple. If you don't want to say there is good and evil in the world, I think it's time for you to open your eyes.

quote:
*cough* dubya

Jeez, what are you 4 years old. That is old news. George W. Bush won the election. If you don't like it GET OVER IT!!!! He has a lot of business to have to take care of, so get off his back.

Old Post 11-29-2001 12:15 AM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Yes, when I see people crash planes into a buildings full of innocent people I say they are EVIL!!!

What makes you think the men who did it were evil? Osama Bin Laden may not be evil. He may genuienly believe what he is doing is his religous right, and that he'll go to whatever version of heaven he believes in.

quote:
Originally posted by Goa`uld
(or never had any in the first place *cough* dubya)

i don't get that at all

Old Post 11-29-2001 01:14 AM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

quote:
What makes you think the men who did it were evil?

I base it on the definition of what is good and decent in the world. These people represent everything that is the opposite of that. I slap the label of evil on them because that is what I say they are the definition of. What I think that bin laden says is his religious right, I say is evil and wrong. I saw it on the 11th when people ran for their lives, full of fear. As bodies flapped in the wind as they fell from the 100th some floor. That is what I say is evil. His hidious actions.
Ok, I don't care if your not willing to call him evil, as long as you don't make excuses for his actions, because when people do, it is like they agree with it to an extent. I also understand that because many of the people that are opposed to calling them evil or seem to want to defend these terrorist losers, are in other countries. They weren't the ones pointed at and kicked in the groin by bin laden, so I can see why your not as passionate about it, because its not your country. Its hard to understand what is going on thousands of miles away. Your ways of life weren't changed, and didn't have to worry that merely a few miles away, were oil tanks that the national guard were diployed to because if they were targeted, and blown up, there would be a huge creator in the in your own backyard. I did. Yea, to me its personal!!!

quote:
i don't get that at all

Let me tell ya about it. When people don't like the one in power they make fun of them. That becomes a problem when there is nothing major that the powerful have done wrong. So when there is nothing they have done majorly wrong, people resort to pety jokes about anything they can when they don't like the one in power. "Dubya" seems to be a personal attack at George Bush because they don't have nothing to use against him of political importance.

Last edited by Lee on 11-29-2001 at 01:40 AM

Old Post 11-29-2001 01:36 AM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

whoa there boy, i didn't say i agreed with Bin Laden's actions. i simply said that if someone believes in something (such as they believe it is their religon) then how can you call that person evil? i don't know what has motivited bin laden (and i don't think anybody else on these boards would know for CERTAIN and in a matter of fact.
to me, in sounds as if he believes his religion has told him to do what he is doing. to me, that is not evil, it is simply a man doing what he believes is write, even though no religion on the face of the planet could say that any god would order millions of people dead.

i don't believe in religion, never have, and probably never will, i believe it can (notice that i didn't say does) cause problems, such as current events.

quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Dubya seems to be a personal prode at George Bush because they don't have anything else to use against him

ahh, so goa'uld was just trying to get across the old dubya joke well, i don't consider that a big crime, it's just a way of making a nickname out of his name (in this case his middle initial)... just like they call Madonna "Madge" and myself "ash".

Old Post 11-29-2001 01:46 AM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

quote:
i didn't say i agreed with Bin Laden's actions

I didn't say you did. I would hope no one on these boards where like those nazi's. But do you see my point? His actions, based on his religion, fitted my definition of evil. Destroying innocent lives, I think thats evil. Please tell me I'm making sense in everything I said in my posts. I like arguing politics, but I also want to make sense, and not be misunderstood, or taken out of context.
quote:
, it's just a way of making a nickname out of his name (in this case his middle initial)... just like they call Madonna "Madge" and myself "ash".
I'm sorry if that is what he ment, but I never heard anyone saying it as a nickname. More of an attack of his intelligence.

Old Post 11-29-2001 01:57 AM
The Ash Man

i understand your point Lee (or most of it... i've only got a couple of active brain cells at this time in the morning )

I dunno about in other countries, but over in the UK "Dubya" is used as a nickname.

Old Post 11-29-2001 02:00 AM
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

quote:
but over in the UK "Dubya" is used as a nickname

In my part of the country, or around friends that didn't like him when he was elected, used it as a slam.

Old Post 11-29-2001 02:04 AM
oFFaL
You Spam - You Die

Wow, look at that, yet another thread that has gone Off Topic... *Lock*

Old Post 11-29-2001 02:36 AM
oFFaL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oFFaL Click here to Send oFFaL a Private Message Visit oFFaL's homepage! Find more posts by oFFaL Add oFFaL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote