Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Host-jumping
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

It is stated in the episode that the theory is that they were taken by the antarctica gate. Not by ship.
Daniel was also speculating.
No but if there were no ring transporter there would have to be a whole since it hasn't snowed in antarctica for something like two million years. The Gou'ald uses ring transporters for such purposes...
The gate was set underneath a glacier, glaciers move constantly...
They're really not that far fetched as you thought them of being spoiler, are they? Anyway.
Sorry to say but they are. At this point there is nothing that gives even the slightest hint of them being correct besides some of the words sounding the same.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-26-2002 07:40 PM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

quote:
They're really not that far fetched as you thought them of being spoiler, are they?

Lol, good point.

Have you seen season six's Frozen? (Vague spoilers)
Spoiler:
It's got a some information/speculation about who the Ancients are in it

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 11-27-2002 11:52 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kaijyu
Num Num, Birdy Num Num!!!

quote:
Originally posted by me,me,me,me,me,me, and me!
The DNA ensures that the *Sym's* will be compatible with the future host species.

I think that the key word here is ensures. Obviously they can jump to different species, but the DNA ensures compatibility.

quote:
Originally posted by 320rwekfpl
Which is contradicted when they reveal that Anubis has taken a furling as a host.

The problem with this statement is; that it implies that you know some spoilers, rather than being pure speculation! Starting the sentence with "I think" would solve that problem.

Old Post 11-27-2002 02:30 PM
Kaijyu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kaijyu Click here to Send Kaijyu a Private Message Find more posts by Kaijyu Add Kaijyu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

quote:
Originally posted by Lord ?okar
Sorry to say but they are. At this point there is nothing that gives even the slightest hint of them being correct besides some of the words sounding the same.

Oh come on... You're joking aren't you. I might be the case with Anubis, but not with the ancients. I mean, the implications are everywhere, not just in my mind... And I've pointed to other things except two words sounding the same.

Spoiler:

a/ Ancients being human and from earth.
b/ Ascended being human and having great knowledge of the gate network.
c/ Ancients having left our plane of existance.
d/ Ascended having left our plane of existance.
e/ Ascended having a technology that without a to great effort would easily wipe out the Gou'ald.
f/ An alliance being ended at aproximatly the same time as the Gou'ald rose to power.
g/ The Nox and the Asgard not being allies any longer even though none of them has left our plane of existance.
h/ The Ancients using a language that's been spoken on earth once upon time. Neither the Nox or the Asgard have something like that. Remember the race that terraformed the Enkaran planet.
j/ O'Neill being capable to survive at all during "the Fifth Race".

I could go on forever...

As for the glacier thing... I have to watch the episode again and see. But I doubt that the ice is moving that much at that depth(assuming that the gate must have been placed on antarticta, not on the ice covering antartica, something that seems to imply that it hasn't been used the last two million years or more). But I'm no glacialog or what it's called, so I might be wrong. But Daniels theories is a lot more far-fetched than mine...

Last edited by 320rwekfpl on 11-29-2002 at 11:21 AM

Old Post 11-29-2002 11:16 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Spoiler:

e/ Ascended having a technology that without a to great effort would easily wipe out the Gou'ald.
f/ An alliance being ended at aproximatly the same time as the Gou'ald rose to power.
g/ The Nox and the Asgard not being allies any longer even though none of them has left our plane of existance.
h/ The Ancients using a language that's been spoken on earth once upon time. Neither the Nox or the Asgard have something like that. Remember the race that terraformed the Enkaran planet.

----------------Answers----------------
a/ All races seem to be human and come from Earth.
b/ See A and the Ascended have a great knowledge of everything. Means the learnt it after they ascended.
c/ Ancients having left our universe, not just our plane.
d/ Not seeing relevance (from C)
e/ Ascended do not have any technology whatsoever.
That and many races could wipe out the Goa'uld without blinking, most of them are not even of the Four.
f/ They were unable to decide on what action would be taken against them, so much so that it drove them apart. The Nox wanted to hide their conquests, the Asgard wanted to kill them. Who knows what the Furlings wanted, and the Ancients were in strife because (IMHO) they engineered the Goa'uld.
g/ See answer to F
h/ We know that the Ancinets came from Earth, what's your point?
i/ The Asgard helped him out, we know that the Asgard and the Ancients were allied. What's your point?

Last edited by Lord ?okar on 11-30-2002 at 12:20 AM

Old Post 11-30-2002 12:18 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KMInfinity
Nereid

Depending on the primta's heredity, it could be able to master a variety of species because it contains the genetic code for more than one host species... In other words, assume each queen passes on her host DNA along with any new hosting--which may have been developed at risk to the individual Goa'uld :

Queen A in Unas as host--passes Unas DNA to offspring B

Offspring B risks a more chancy blending for some reason and enters a new species C, say um, AlienSnailCreature... and survives...

Queen C passes Unas DNA AND AlienSnailCreature DNA to offspring...

Goa'uld C isn't happy in snail host and risks entering a new type of host....

{{Repeat ad nauseum, as each Goa'uld generation succeeds in a new host.}}

Finally, a human host is found and entered. The goa'uld from this "line of descent" may have an advantage over their fellow goa'ulds if they have DNA from several species. They can more easily adapt to different hosts. Kind of like the human brain, which has various levels within it which may reflect a reptilian past, etc..... When you add to the fact that the Goa'uld and the Tok'ra have different attitudes towards what happens to the host, I really don't see much that can't be accounted for. The blending between host and snake will have many variables that depend on the particular snake's hereditary past, its own survival mechanisms, its willingness to compromise the host, its ability to dominate the host, etc. We may (and the writers may) want to simplify the process, but it could be argued that each blending is unique.

Simile : a comparison using like or as ...

Teal'c is as strong as a tiger.
Jack's snarled like a tiger before he shot Apophis dead.

Metaphor : a comparison stating one thing in reference to another

Teal'c is a tiger in battle.
With a tiger snarl, Jack shot Apophis.

What's remarkable about science fiction is that it's literature at its best. It doesn't exist because high schools require students to read it, or because grants are given out for it.... or because colleges have embedded it in their curriculum. It exists because it speaks to people. James Morrow

Old Post 11-30-2002 03:40 AM
KMInfinity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KMInfinity Click here to Send KMInfinity a Private Message Find more posts by KMInfinity Add KMInfinity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Spoiler:
That does seem more plot-friendly than the "Goa'uld cannot enter host without prior exposure or compatibility" idea. However, in Hathor she required to gain the "code of life" from Daniel to ensure compatibility. (I think that she had made human Jaffa in te past) If the DNA was passed down through each spawn, she would not have needed to do so. Supporting KM's theory maybe the code kind of 'decayed' during her time in the sarcoughogus. The sarc restores you to your former self based upon your egnetic pattern. So maybe the presence of more than 1 code annoys it, so it removes them. Which would explain why she would need to glean the code again. But if her host is as old as otehr goa'uld, she would need to retrieve it every time she needed to spawn again.

Last edited by Lord ?okar on 12-01-2002 at 01:33 AM

Old Post 11-30-2002 08:17 AM
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Label. Your. Bloody. Spoilers. It's kinda pointless if you don't.

Thanks KM for clearing that up (it's amazing how much you forget after 6 months)

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 11-30-2002 04:37 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KMInfinity
Nereid

Also, let's not forget the good old need for sperm. Maybe, with the Hathor episode, it wasn't so much that she needed human DNA per se. Maybe she needed male DNA.

Tho I do seem to remember some talk about asexual reproduction by the queen. Tho that could be a "last resort" kind of thing.

What's remarkable about science fiction is that it's literature at its best. It doesn't exist because high schools require students to read it, or because grants are given out for it.... or because colleges have embedded it in their curriculum. It exists because it speaks to people. James Morrow

Old Post 11-30-2002 04:38 PM
KMInfinity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KMInfinity Click here to Send KMInfinity a Private Message Find more posts by KMInfinity Add KMInfinity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by KMInfinity
Maybe she needed male DNA.

Did anyone else draw the assumption that the sample she acquired would last her way more than one... grub?

Last edited by Venus on 12-01-2002 at 11:41 AM

Old Post 12-01-2002 10:25 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

It did, she made millions. Here's a nasty thought, where did they come from?

Funnily enough they all looked like shrimp.

Old Post 12-01-2002 10:47 AM
AbydonianSky
You!! Off my planet!!

Spoiler:
Originaly only 2% of Human/Goa'uld melds were sucessful due to the lack of compatible DNA, which is why the Jaffa were created - by using them as incubators the Larval young were able to meld with a lower rate of fatalities.

The Goa'uld ego demands that they are Gods, they maintain the image that nothing of the host personality remains - a new host remains weak for a time and surely cannot risk the old host remaining at large to prove this is view as false & possibly get revenge by killing the new host & the Goa'uld. Reason enough not to jump host often or maybe they are just very picky as to who they want to walk about as - look at how many rejections before Sha'ra was taken.

Old Post 12-01-2002 09:13 PM
AbydonianSky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AbydonianSky Click here to Send AbydonianSky a Private Message Find more posts by AbydonianSky Add AbydonianSky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

If you didn't read Sokars post, then don't read this one... BTW. This one contains spoilers for season 2-5(as I know of)...

quote:
Spoiler:

----------------Answers----------------
a/ All races seem to be human and come from Earth.

Not the Asgard, Nox, the race that terraformed the enkaran planet, the white smurfs, the Furlings, the Replicators, the Aschen and a lot more. So you're plainly wrong on this point.

b/ See A and the Ascended have a great knowledge of everything. Means the learnt it after they ascended.

You just want it to be that, don't you? Why would they learn anything that they didn't know before?

c/ Ancients having left our universe, not just our plane.

Where is our your source for this claim? It is said in "Fifth Race" that they left our plane of existance...

d/ Not seeing relevance (from C)

Why?

e/ Ascended do not have any technology whatsoever.

Orlin was able to give the inhabitants of his planet a weapon with great destruction capabilities, which save them from the Gou'alds, but not from the other Ascended.

That and many races could wipe out the Goa'uld without blinking, most of them are not even of the Four.

The Aschen yes. Name any other race with that capability, please...

f/ They were unable to decide on what action would be taken against them, so much so that it drove them apart. The Nox wanted to hide their conquests, the Asgard wanted to kill them. Who knows what the Furlings wanted, and the Ancients were in strife because (IMHO) they engineered the Goa'uld.

Possible. But why did the Gou'ald take Unas host at first then?

g/ See answer to F

It's the same kind of speculation that you accuse me for doing. It's not proven that anyone of us is right.

h/ We know that the Ancinets came from Earth, what's your point?

Just to point out that the Ascended and the Ancients are from the same planet.

i/ The Asgard helped him out, we know that the Asgard and the Ancients were allied. What's your point?

The point is that he was able to survive that long. Also see h/

Old Post 12-02-2002 04:28 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
It did, she made millions.

No, but I mean ... after the episode Hathor, she could actually have given birth to another grub. The DNA would last her for more than one... birth (i.e. the one in Hathor). If you get what I mean.

Old Post 12-02-2002 09:16 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

They might not be able to produce new queens. S5 spoiler.

Spoiler:

All that talk about the Gou'ald population decreasing in Summit doesn't get explained away by some symbiote-eating party. Also the thing about the Tok'ra. Why didn't their queen Gou'ald produce some other queens with empathy. And this far we only know of two queens, the Tok'ra one and Hathor...

Old Post 12-02-2002 11:50 AM