Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Off Topic > "best" film ever
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
president doc

Well, the concept that were all linked up to a computer, sorta borgy, and the idea that this is not the real world, that its all an illusion, what if? etc etc, its all been thought of by generations of kids..etc etc.
not to detract from teh movie, they did it quite well I thought, and it was original, jus the concept itself wasnt.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-28-2001 08:55 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

i was dissipointed with The Matrix. i didn't see it until it was released on video, and then only bought it because it was a cheap ex-rental copy.

i mean c'mon, the story was hardly original, some of the wachowski's direction was shit, and the whole thing was pretty much boring (with the exception of the short but sweet action sequences).

it's made even worse with loads of adverts on the TV trying to copy the "bullet-time" techniques used in the film, what they don't realise is it just makes their company (and the product being advertised) out to be unoriginal, and trying to cash-in on an over-hyped, but rather big, money machine.

Oh yeah, and one word: cliche

Old Post 11-29-2001 01:20 AM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

Venus, if you liked Stand By Me then give Shawshank a try. It's not horror at all. It's about survival and friendship.

Best movie ever is just so subjective an opinion.
I couldn't even being to vote, but (in no particular order) Casablanca; Citizen Kane; Lawrence of Arabia; yes, Star Wars; Some Like It Hot; Silence of the Lambs; Schindler's List.

Old Post 11-29-2001 06:52 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Shiloh, aren't they mostly war films? (As in I'm not too keen on them, so maybe I won't like Shawshank either?)

Old Post 12-01-2001 11:52 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Your not a geek are you Ash...
The whole idea to me was awsome, yet geeky. Networks, hacking, downloads, futuristic destruction of human race. All well, to each their own.
OOOh, and if you did like the matrix and need something to wear, check this out...http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/342f.shtml

Old Post 12-01-2001 03:54 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Your not a geek are you Ash...

no, i don't think i am (although some people think i am as i am a fan of a TV show with "star" in the title )

anyway, The Matrix was aimed at a teenage target audience. film theory law dictates that if a film is given a certificate, it will be aimed at an audience of a few years lower than that certificate's age. So, if a film is given a 12 certificate, it will be aimed at 10 year olds, 15 films (eg. the matrix) will be aimed at 12 year olds... etc, etc.

the matrix was aimed at computer geeks who wish they were big heros... not that i'm saying you (or anybody else) is a computer geek, just bringing up that point, and agreeing with your statment that the idea was slightly "geeky".

Old Post 12-01-2001 05:46 PM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

quote:
Originally posted by Venus
Shiloh, aren't they mostly war films? (As in I'm not too keen on them, so maybe I won't like Shawshank either?)

Venus, sometimes i feel like just going there and spanking you! lol

Shawshank doesnt have anything to do with war, just watch it... NOW!!!

Old Post 12-01-2001 05:59 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

quote:
Originally posted by president doc
Venus, sometimes i feel like just going there and spanking you!

hands off doc, i'm takin her to my first movie premiere y'know

Old Post 12-01-2001 06:23 PM
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

LOL ASH!! The hands off thing...

And you can call me a computer geek, that is one of my lifes passions.

Old Post 12-01-2001 07:10 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

quote:

I have said this before at this forum, tight? Or was it some other one? Crap, don't make me re-write it again...

In war lies every possible aspect of humanity. You will find stories concerning every action and every corner of the human experience there. Kindness. Pain. Hatred. Love. Sorrow. Joy. Every facet carved within us human beings gets burnished in conflict, and the greatest of conflicts is war itself. If you need to explore and understand humanity at its deepest levels, you must see a man in a struggle for life and death. That is the sure-fire way to strip away every extenuating distraction and delve into the very core of what makes us do the things we do.

If you don't like movies of war, then you don't like movies that explores anything and everything that is what it's to like to being human, felt at its greatest intensity.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-01-2001 08:06 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

the matrix was hell fun to watch... but in honesty it's a pretty bad movie.
Matrix, Crouching Tiger, and Mission Impossible 2 are some of the movies that people only like for the "whoooa cool" factor. None of them really have a decent story or anything. The matrix stole all it's ideas from the new testament.
I must say, I'm a sucker for MI:2.

Old Post 12-02-2001 12:09 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

quote:
The matrix stole all it's ideas from the new testament.

They had computer networks in Rome?
E..X..P..L..A..I..N...

Old Post 12-02-2001 01:39 AM
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
In war lies every possible aspect of humanity. ... Kindness. Pain. Hatred. Love. Sorrow. Joy. ... If you don't like movies of war, then you don't like movies that explores anything and everything that is what it's to like to being human, felt at its greatest intensity.

So you're saying to be human is to fight? See I prefer episodes like The Nox, Spirits, Show and Tell to ones like Rules of Engagement,. Although it may just be because I like considering other approaches to life or living. War doesn't *always* encompass hatred or love, except for in movies. And I quite fail to see where kindness comes in.

I'm gonna watch MI:2 when it comes out, and I thought (and still do) that The Matrix was great. So, for those of you who didn't like it, are you going to see the Matrix sequels?

Old Post 12-02-2001 12:31 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

quote:
So you're saying to be human is to fight?

It's in human nature to fight.

quote:
I'm gonna watch MI:2 when it comes out, and I thought (and still do) that The Matrix was great. So, for those of you who didn't like it, are you going to see the Matrix sequels?

M:I-2 was released last year, it's been out on VHS and DVD for ages.

And yes, i will go see the Matrix sequels, just for research into special effects in movies, you understand

Old Post 12-02-2001 06:14 PM
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by The Ash Man
It's in human nature to fight.

Well, I disagree, but I seem to be opening debates wherever I go, so lets not dwell on that.
quote:
Originally posted by The Ash Man
M:I-2 was released last year, it's been out on VHS and DVD for ages.

I know, I meant when it comes out on Sky movies; I'm not gonna pay extra money (on box office or DVD) if I don;t even know if I'll like it!

Old Post 12-02-2001 07:37 PM