Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Upcoming movie
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Otis
Egyptaholic

Upcoming movie

Should they bring Michael Shanks back for the feature film? Why or why not?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 05-06-2002 06:35 PM
Otis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Otis Click here to Send Otis a Private Message Find more posts by Otis Add Otis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Yes; good character, just like him.

Old Post 05-06-2002 06:48 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Yes, because hes an integral part of SG1, the unit, not the series.
It can do without him, but it would not be wrose with him, possibly better.

Old Post 05-06-2002 07:05 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Everyone is talking about the movie, but I have yet to hear as to what kind of movie this Stargate project is going to be. Is it going to be a major big-screen release (like what happened with The X-Files), or is it simply a made-for-TV movie (like the Babylon 5 movie events)?

No one has yet to address that. When we speak of "movie", just how big are we speculating, because even the biggest made-for-TV movie budget is a visual spitbucket of crap in comparision to blockbustin' Hollywood productions.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 05-06-2002 07:34 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

im pretty sure it would be a cinematic piece.
It just comes across taht way from everything ive seen about it.

Old Post 05-06-2002 07:38 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

quote:
Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
Everyone is talking about the movie, but I have yet to hear as to what kind of movie this Stargate project is going to be. Is it going to be a major big-screen release (like what happened with The X-Files), or is it simply a made-for-TV movie (like the Babylon 5 movie events)?

i have been thinking this over... and i'm probably the only (or among a small minority of people) on the boards who thinks of "Children of the Gods" as the sequel to the original film.

When you think of it, Children of the Gods is classed as a TV Movie. It's feature length, contains a similiar amount of action you'd see in any sort of big budget movie, and is fairly cinematic.

although i think that it is to be a cinema release, only it won't be all that hyped up, and will probably not recieve a wide-spread release.

Last edited by The Ash Man on 05-06-2002 at 10:32 PM

Old Post 05-06-2002 10:29 PM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jelmer

As far as I understood it Brad Wright hopes to take the Stargate franchize where the Star Trek franchize has gone before: making one or more cinematics and enlarging the Stargate universe with spin-off(s).

Old Post 05-06-2002 11:00 PM
Jelmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jelmer Click here to Send Jelmer a Private Message Visit Jelmer's homepage! Find more posts by Jelmer Add Jelmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otis
Egyptaholic

My understanding was that it would be a cinematic release in the same vein as the Star Trek series are. Big screen, not made for tv.

Old Post 05-06-2002 11:27 PM
Otis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Otis Click here to Send Otis a Private Message Find more posts by Otis Add Otis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adonis
Nobody Listen' to Techno!

I would hope it was a big screen movie, and did not make so much money that the studios decided to flog the cash cow for another three sequels. Yes, it should be big, yes it should be very good and open to mainstream audiences, but no, it should not open the door for three subsequent piles of steaming ka ka.

Old Post 05-06-2002 11:59 PM
Adonis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adonis Click here to Send Adonis a Private Message Find more posts by Adonis Add Adonis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

I'd like it to be a big screen flick - but how can they hope to compete with everything else thats out there. The X Files was a huge, well known show, and their movie pretty much bombed - You think a pretty much obscure, up-until-now cable tv sci-fi series is going to be the most talked about film in a decade?
*snort* you guys have high hopes.
I doubt the current cast are quite 'big screen' material, anyway.
They come across bland enough as it is, i cringe at the thought of them on the big screen.
And unless, after all these years of tight budgets, MGM turn around and throw $100million at the producers, i doubt it will be up to mediocre movie standards, let alone blockbuster, which it will need to be if it wants the chance to make more movies. Everything depends on profits, people.

Now, unless it was something truely different - same basic premise, but a new cast (the regular SG-1 cast making only a small appearence), new direction (the lead in to Atlantis, hopefully), maybe even new writers, it might actually do well.

Otherwise, i fear that its just going to be an extended episode trying oh-so-badly to make it into the big time.

Old Post 05-07-2002 03:13 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

If they marketed it to the general public rather than fans, almost as a direct sequel to the original, It could succeed.

However, the cast is unknown, and they most likely would focus marketing on established fans rather than the general public...

Having said taht, the show doesnt have so much of a stigma attached to it...

time will tell.
(I cracked up when you mentioned throwing 100 million at the film, I could see some deranged executive doing that in a fit of extreme .. deranged..ness")

Old Post 05-07-2002 12:40 PM
nug
Melon

Some of the best films have total unknowns in them. But I pretty much agree that the movie (if it ever happens) would be a tv one. I hope so at least, it'd be horrible to see SG-1 flop and die horribly in public. It seems to be relatively unknown still, and that suits me just fine.

Old Post 05-07-2002 01:33 PM
nug is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nug Click here to Send nug a Private Message Find more posts by nug Add nug to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

NO NO... has to be in the movies, If its just a made for TV one, What would be the F'ing point... really!

They just have to market it to the general public, like the original was, that movie only had Kurt russel to carry it, and he wasnt a "big" star.

But after all the farce, anything short of a cinematic piece would be an anticlimax! its been years in the pipeline... how can they do a two parter in one go?

Old Post 05-07-2002 01:42 PM
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Yep, definately. Hell, Jonas too! He's part of the team, good character yada yada yada (I mean Daniel here).

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 05-07-2002 02:48 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kiya
lusus naturae

Ignoring the will it or won't it be a big-screen release (for the minute)...

It'd be great to see Daniel in the film because he's been a part of SG-1 for so long and I don't think it would be complete without him.

Old Post 05-07-2002 06:48 PM
kiya is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kiya Click here to Send kiya a Private Message Find more posts by kiya Add kiya to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote