Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Gating to other galaxies
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Roy
Speaker-Second Foundation

Gating to other galaxies

I have two questions...

First question: Are there any examples of traveling through the Stargate to another galaxy other than in The Fifth Race?

Second question: If using the 8th chevron grants the user greater distance, or at least access to gates in other galaxies, then what about Abados? It was stated in the Motion Pic that it was in a different galaxy... but they only used 7 chevrons.

I realize that the 8th chevron doesn't necessarily grant access to other galaxies, but if these are the only examples of extra-galactic addresses (Abados, and Asgard), then why use the 8th chevron?

Note: This is a rabbit trail from one of Jonas's previous threads. And, I hold to the idea (from that thread) that the 8th chevron simply increases the possible addresses (like IP addresses in Peer-to-peer networking).

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-25-2002 03:06 PM
Roy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Click here to Send Roy a Private Message Find more posts by Roy Add Roy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brent

Re: Gating to other galaxies

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
I have two questions...

First question: Are there any examples of traveling through the Stargate to another galaxy other than in The Fifth Race?

Second question: If using the 8th chevron grants the user greater distance, or at least access to gates in other galaxies, then what about Abados? It was stated in the Motion Pic that it was in a different galaxy... but they only used 7 chevrons.

I realize that the 8th chevron doesn't necessarily grant access to other galaxies, but if these are the only examples of extra-galactic addresses (Abados, and Asgard), then why use the 8th chevron?

Note: This is a rabbit trail from one of Jonas's previous threads. And, I hold to the idea (from that thread) that the 8th chevron simply increases the possible addresses (like IP addresses in Peer-to-peer networking).

First Question: In the feature film they went to the Kalium Galaxy, thats where Abydos was in the film, and it only required 7 cheverons, heh. Other then that in the Series no, I don't think they have been to another galaxy through the gate other then the Asgard homeworld.

Second Question: hehe, same as I said in first question. Plus, maybe the Asgard galaxy is even FARTHER then they went in the motion pic, heh. I dunno...

In the movie Abydos is on the other side of the known universe in the Kalium galaxy needing only 7 cheverons.

In the series Abydos is the closest planet to earth in the gate network in our own galaxy still only requring 7 cheverons

It is widely accepted though that the Gate Network system was invented for the Series. In fact a whole lot was invented for the series, i.e. Goa'uld etc... In the movie it was understood there was only TWO gates, on Earth and Abydos because there was only ONE alien who took possesion of a human body, Ra.

In fact, in the movie when Daniel was explaining how it all went down he said this alien searched the universe for a very very long time, till he found Earth. So I suspect in a ship, and not via Stargates. Because in the movie there were only 2, no ancients, no gate network, nuffing.

Old Post 11-25-2002 03:59 PM
Brent is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brent Click here to Send Brent a Private Message Visit Brent's homepage! Find more posts by Brent Add Brent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

When it comes to stuff like this, ignore the movie. You be saner.

Old Post 11-25-2002 04:14 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

1) Well, the AU Sam did travel to the Asgaard galaxy in "Point of View", but then, it was a repeat of "The Fifth Race" procedure, after all.

2) We can either ignore the movie, or accept it and point out the major flaw in logic the movie created: Daniel Jackson said the coordinates were laid by the constellations in the sky. Trouble is, all constellations we observe are located within this galaxy, so any address that they plot would have to be within our galaxy! The whole Stargate dialing logic would still remain a mystery since Daniel goofed up.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 11-25-2002 04:50 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duke Enmes?rr
Renegade Serpent Guard!

Interesting...

Then there is another porblem in the movie! If im correct there is a DHD (i might be wrong) on Abydose and it is the same one as in the series. That means it has all the chevrons and that means that there is more than one gate!

So disregarde the Movie!

Old Post 11-29-2002 05:46 AM
Duke Enmes?rr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duke Enmes?rr Click here to Send Duke Enmes?rr a Private Message Find more posts by Duke Enmes?rr Add Duke Enmes?rr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

That means it has all the chevrons and that means that there is more than one gate!
How does that mean that the gate had all the chevrons? In the movie the gate had 7 chev's and now it has 9.

For the sanctity of your sanity, disregard the movie.

Old Post 11-29-2002 06:02 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duke Enmes?rr
Renegade Serpent Guard!

I meant the DHD! It had all the symbols for Dialing!

Old Post 11-29-2002 06:21 AM
Duke Enmes?rr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duke Enmes?rr Click here to Send Duke Enmes?rr a Private Message Find more posts by Duke Enmes?rr Add Duke Enmes?rr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonas

Duke Enmes?rr? there is a DHD on Abydos in the movie? You sure? Or are you thinking Abydos in a later episode?

Old Post 11-29-2002 06:33 AM
Jonas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonas Click here to Send Jonas a Private Message Find more posts by Jonas Add Jonas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

in the fifth race the dialing guy said "far away from our galacy" so maybe it's just distance wise not galaxy wise (although i have to admit that doesn't make much sense)
There are so many inconsistincies btween the movie and the show it's better if you just disregard the show like everyone said. There's still plenty of goofs within the show for us to nit-pick

plus the known universe could have increased considerably when they discovered that the gate could go to other planets.

Old Post 11-29-2002 09:11 AM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anudist
*nuked*

quote:
Originally posted by dr.taz

plus the known universe could have increased considerably when they discovered that the gate could go to other planets.

lol... sorry

Old Post 11-29-2002 09:23 AM
Anudist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anudist Click here to Send Anudist a Private Message Find more posts by Anudist Add Anudist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

ok, why the lol?

Old Post 11-29-2002 09:33 AM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex8472
dead and loving it

i know itsa abit weird i mean its a good point we don't know if galaxies grow or move apart
weird

Old Post 11-29-2002 10:29 AM
alex8472 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex8472 Click here to Send alex8472 a Private Message Visit alex8472's homepage! Find more posts by alex8472 Add alex8472 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

Well, totally ignoring the movie is the best choice or otherwise we'll end up with something like highlander -endgame. And that's not good.

Old Post 11-29-2002 10:59 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

quote:
Originally posted by Duke Enmes?rr?
Interesting...

Then there is another porblem in the movie! If im correct there is a DHD (i might be wrong) on Abydose and it is the same one as in the series. ...

There was NEVER a DHD in the Stargate movie. They activated the gate and got home by manual dialing.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 11-29-2002 02:45 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

quote:
Originally posted by alex8472
i know itsa abit weird i mean its a good point we don't know if galaxies grow or move apart
weird

Urm, yes we do.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 11-29-2002 04:56 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote