Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Fan Fiction > A/A Fic: Vinum Sororum Nostrum
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Skip
VAE VICTIS

A/A Fic: Vinum Sororum Nostrum

WARNING: This fic is rated PG-13 because of violence, language and content. If you are easily offended do not read it.

You wanted my fics? You said you did. Vinum's been archived thrice over at least but if you want it here you are welcome to it. I'll post a bit and if you want more ask. It's quite long though.... Heck I'm doing this as a favour for a mate....

Title: Vinum Sororum Nostrum
Authors: Skip and Carrie
Email: [email protected], [email protected]
Category: H/H (Not much comfort!) A/A
Rating: PG-13
Season: 4
Content Warning: Violence and scenes of an adult nature
Summary: Taken from The Princess Bride:
'Does it got any sports in it?'
'Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles.'
'Doesn't sound too bad. I'll try and stay awake.'
OK, so that's probably not the case, but I can say that SG1 are on another 'routine' mission.
Notes: Carrie: Thanks to Sue for betaing this! Trust me when I say she had her work cut out for her... Skip and I had many an argument about whom to whump (she prefers Jack, I Daniel), so we compromised and whumped 'em all. Repeatedly. Gratuitously. But not beyond repair! Between that and trying to keep each other on track, I think this turned out fairly well. Thoughts and comments welcome!
Skip: Jack fan? Where? Here? Oh... me... OK maybe a little Thanks to all the guys at the Talk Forums for being so evil to me in bullying the next part out... And of course to Carrie. Thanks.

Last edited by Skip on 10-21-2001 at 07:35 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 10-21-2001 07:31 PM
Skip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skip Click here to Send Skip a Private Message Visit Skip's homepage! Find more posts by Skip Add Skip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skip
VAE VICTIS

ON WITH THE FIC

Sam looked around the encampment to her quiet companions. Daniel slept peacefully, while the colonel?s soft snores indicated that he, too, was asleep. Sighing, she raised her head to locate Teal?c as he silently watched over the dark woods.

P3S 279 was turning out to be a refreshingly boring planet. Sam eyed the two nearly full moons thoughtfully, wondering how on Earth anyone could sleep while it was so bright. Teal?c noticed her movement and strode over to her stealthily. It was her turn for watch, thank goodness. An excuse for not being asleep. Sam made her way to the fire, longing for creature comforts of home ? a good book, hot cocoa?a normal life? Nah.

Sounds of her team-mates? early morning stirrings jerked Sam out of her reverie. Time flies when you are having fun, and even sometimes when you are not. Out of the corner of her eye, Sam watched the colonel tiptoe in Daniel?s direction. She couldn?t keep the small smile from spreading across her face. Those two - when they weren?t disagreeing about everything under the sun, they were acting like schoolchildren.

A wave of cold suddenly flooded through her, accompanied by a very unsettling feeling that she was being watched. Sam rapidly scanned the encroaching wilderness before her eyes came to rest on her third comrade. Teal?c, silent as ever, watched her with an impassive expression. Relief flooded through her and she gave him a good morning smile.

?Rahhh!? the colonel suddenly bellowed, breaking the silence.

?Ahhh!? Daniel?s yelp was not far behind as he flew into the air, full consciousness returning rather abruptly.

Sam turned her head to see Daniel?s descent back to the ground, his face flashing from shock to irritation in a heartbeat. Sam braced herself for the impending argument and shared a knowing look with Teal?c. As she predicted, Daniel reacted strongly to the colonel?s morning mischief

?Jack! I don?t know why you insist on being such a child! Usually I can handle it, but God, I haven?t even had my coffee yet! I?? Daniel spluttered angrily.

?Oh, Daniel, lighten up!? the colonel cut in, ?We?re on a routine mission on a boring planet and I was just having a little fun. You should try it some time. Really, you gotta learn to relax! I consider it my duty as C.O. to teach you how to have fun.?

?Fun? You think scaring someone half to death is fun? And, technically, since I am not military you are not my C.O., are you? Here?s another thing?? Daniel paused for a breath and pointed a finger emphatically at the colonel in preparation for a long-winded rebuttal.

Sam saw her opportunity and grabbed it. ?Uh, I hate to break up your little conversation, Sir. Daniel. But we should get going. We only have a couple of days here and I still have a lot of samples to gather. And,? she looked pointedly at Daniel, ?We have that temple the UAV picked up to explore.?

?Indeed.? Teal?c joined her. ?The days here do appear to be shorter than on most planets we visit. We should use the daylight hours efficiently.?

?Teal?c?s right. It?s not winter, and yet the days are as short as if it was the middle of December. I wonder if it may have something to do with the presence of dual moons?? Sam mused. She looked up for a second to a bevy of blank stares. ?Okay. I?m going to go to the stream to get water for the coffee. Can I trust you guys to behave??

Daniel smiled brilliantly at her. The prospect of coffee could do wonders for the team morale. Sam left the men at the camp and made her way to the water, hearing the colonel and Daniel resume their disagreement, somewhat more light-heartedly.

Old Post 10-21-2001 07:33 PM
Skip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skip Click here to Send Skip a Private Message Visit Skip's homepage! Find more posts by Skip Add Skip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skip
VAE VICTIS

?So you didn?t hear anything last night either, Daniel?? the colonel queried.

?No. My watch was extremely uneventful for a change. I even had a difficult time staying awake, actually.? Daniel replied.

Jack rolled his eyes and choked back the snide remark that had instantly sprung into his mind. Instead, he turned to Teal?c. ?Any thoughts??

?I am not certain the lack of nocturnal activity is atypical, O?Neill. It would seem, however, that a planet with long nights would have significantly more species functioning during those hours.? Teal?c intoned.

?Huh?? the colonel muttered. ?Never mind. I just think it?s odd we haven?t come across any creatures going bump in the night.?

?That?s what he said, Jack.? Daniel grinned. ?Well, we haven?t seen any evidence that this is currently a Goa?uld planet, but it could have been at one time. Is it possible they somehow ?modified? the life forms to suit some strange Goa?uld master pla?ah.? He trailed off as he saw the colonel?s and Teal?c?s identically raised eyebrows. ?Too far out there? Yeah.?

A startled cry from the direction of the stream made all three jump to their feet and begin running without conscious thought. Teal?c easily outdistanced his human friends, halting at the edge of the stream, staff weapon armed and ready to fire at potential danger. Not far behind, Colonel O?Neill stopped easily and began to ask Sam what was going on when Daniel made his grand entrance, bowling into him with monster truck force. Arms and legs of the men pretzeled as they tumbled down the embankment and plopped into the muddy bank.

The colonel spat out a large amount of mud before exclaiming, ?For crying out loud, Daniel! Do we need to put you through basic training again? Damnit! I think I twisted my knee??

?Uh, Jack?? the younger man tugged his sleeve and pointed warily at the cluster of seven decidedly unfriendly women aiming spears and bows directly at them. The women scowled at them ferociously beneath helmets of animal skulls, bones and feathers. Highly toned muscles glistened under the scant covering of animal skin serving as clothing. Teeth bared in aggressive snarls told SG-1 these were warriors not to be trifled with.

?Oh, crap!? the older man sighed. ?Not a boring, uninhabited planet after all.? He pushed himself up on his elbows and wiped the mud from his eyes.

?Nice, guys. I appreciate the assist.? Sam couldn?t resist, turning to glare at both her team and the women.

?I like your clowns,? one of the women said, ?but they really should not be allowed to carry weapons. They will put them down before we put them down.?

Jack and Daniel untangled themselves and rose. Taking the not so subtle hint, both eased their guns to the ground and raised their hands passively. Teal?c also lowered his weapon, after determining he could not defeat them all. His eyes did not leave the women or their weapons as he gently laid his staff down.

Sam gaped in shock as the women examined the three male members of SG 1 as though they were objects. She could practically see seven pairs of eyes undressing them mentally. Irate, Sam looked back to the rest of her team and noted the colonel?s wince and that Daniel?s glasses had gone AWOL during the tumble down the slope. They were in no position to put up any resistance.

The visual examination of the men ended suddenly and the women closed in around them.

?Hey, princess, get your hands offa me!? the colonel belted immediately, batting at the inquisitive hands poking and prodding him. ?I?m not a piece of meat!?

Daniel attempted to converse with a young, dark haired woman, who seemed surprised he could speak at all and appalled that he did. His attempts faltered when he caught the women?s reactions to the colonel?s tirade, seeing their faces collectively scowl more and more deeply at Jack?s words.

?Jack, I, uh, don?t think you should??

?Quiet! Men do not speak but to ask of our needs!? a booming female voice interrupted, addressing Sam.

?Truly, your men are unruly. You should keep tighter rein on them. And this one,? she indicated Teal?c with a disgusted sneer, ?Is far too physically fit for our liking.?

?Too physically fit? Geez, I?ll never figure out what women want. I?m insulted you didn?t notice my buff physique?? the colonel muttered, promptly receiving a heavy blow for his insolence. He plummeted once again into the mud. Daniel grabbed his arm and hauled him back up, eyeing the already red mark on the colonel?s jaw and the equally red look in his eyes.

?I said silence, slave!? the leader continued, ?I am Themina, Queen of the Amazons. Artemis must be pleased with us to send us new?stock. Our current slaves are becoming weak.? She towered over six feet tall, impressively sculpted biceps flexing as she twirled her battle-axe threateningly. Fierce, deeply set brown eyes blazed with anger at the men.

Sam heard Daniel?s sharp intake of breath. This wasn?t good. From what little she knew of the Amazon legend on Earth, Sam knew men never received ?most favoured nation? status in their realm. She had to make them know that her friends were not her slaves.

?Whoa! Fresh stock? I don?t think you understand?? Sam began, the gasps of the six remaining Amazons quieting her. Themina glowered over her, a good half a foot taller than Sam?s own significant height. She had overstepped her bounds. She wished for one manic moment that Daniel were a woman so he could talk them out of this. ?Okay. I?m sorry. Let me start over. My name is Major Samantha Carter. These men are??

?Samantha Carter. You must be a warrior of great strength. Your men are fine specimens; even the young, skinny one has redeemable attributes. Because of this, I will allow you to speak to me as an equal.? Themina proclaimed, as if she had bestowed a great honour.

?Great, but you aren?t listening! They are not my slaves. We are a te?? Sam attempted again. She saw Themina was still not focusing on her words, she and her warriors continued their appraisal of the colonel, Daniel and Teal?c.

?Not your slaves? Then you will not mind if we add them to our stock. The mating season begins tomorrow. Artemis? timing is fortuitous indeed!? Themina postulated. ?We will feast in Her honour once again and determine what we shall trade you in return.?

?Sam, maybe you should just go along with them.? Daniel whispered, apparently having learned nothing by the colonel?s example. ?Artemis is??

?Silence, whelp! How dare you address a woman in such a familiar manner!? Themina shouted as she backhanded him powerfully. He flew back a couple of feet from the force of the blow, landing with a thud. The colonel and Teal?c rushed to his side to provide what silent aid they could, Sam hesitating to help, not knowing whether or not it would be beneficial.

?Aww, look how the bigger ones look out for the little one. It?s very endearing.? The dark haired girl Daniel previously spoke with snidely commented. Laughter rippled through the air at the plight of the men.

Daniel groaned quietly, and rubbed his cheekbone, which was already displaying spectacular discoloration. He and the colonel would have matching trophies from this mission. Sam just hoped the minor bruises would be the extent of the damage done. Daniel glared at the women, but wisely held his tongue, communicating to Sam with his eyes instead. Sam received his warning signals and returned them with an understanding nod and blink. She knew nothing about Artemis, but the Amazon?s current antagonistic and hostile behaviour was information enough for her to momentarily set aside her anger at the treatment of the rest of her team.

Sam watched as the Amazons pulled Jack and Daniel away from Teal?c, pinning their arms roughly behind them and securing them snugly with rope. Daniel tried not to wince as the young Amazon took the opportunity to spit in his face, presumably for daring to speak to her earlier. With both men now posing little threat, the women moved toward Teal?c. They appeared slightly apprehensive, an attitude Sam attributed to the Jaffa?s large build and confident air.

Disregarding the ?men don?t speak? rule, he announced, ?I will come freely.?

Haughty glares met his statement, as though there was never any doubt. No hands were raised, however.

?This way.? The dark haired girl guided them, ?To our village.?

Themina indicated Sam should join her at point, wrapping her arm around Sam?s shoulders as if they were old friends. Sam swallowed her misgivings as she was led into the dense underbrush, the grunts of her team-mates ringing in her ears.

Old Post 10-21-2001 07:34 PM
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

make it shippy!!!!!pleasssssssssssse!!
it would do so well as a shippy story!!!
pretty please with a naked sg1 minus sam on top!!!

Old Post 10-23-2001 02:20 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skip
VAE VICTIS

Talking Ah! A shipper in our midst! Its already written, but you may be pleasantly surprised!

?Argh!? the colonel grumbled as he, Teal?c and Daniel were tossed unceremoniously into a poorly constructed shack on the outskirts of the Amazon village. They had been dragged through the woods for hours, given no water or rest.

?You?d think ?fresh stock? would receive better treatment!?

Raucous laughter was heard in response as the door was slammed, fading away as the women moved further into their village.

?Daniel.? The colonel said with a questioning lilt, taking in their accommodations. While tossed together with no great skill, the shack was relatively sound. The hard clay floor would prevent escape via tunnel. The colonel sighed with consternation and rubbed his sore arms.

?Jack?? Daniel returned.

?Have you any information to relay concerning our predicament?? the colonel questioned, knowing full well Daniel would have figured out a good deal from Themina and her gang, both during the initial conversation and the subsequent journey. He estimated they had travelled at least ten kilometres, roughly in the direction of the temple Daniel was excited to explore.

?Well, Themina mentioned they were Amazons, which I am sure you are familiar with.? Daniel sighed and massaged his neck wearily.

Jack nodded. He couldn?t help but think of Amazons a la Xena with a grin. TV special effects had to be responsible for her skills. Surely, no real person could possess?

?Teal?c??

?I recall several legends told among the Jaffa of a race of powerful woman warriors, whose battle skills challenged that of the Jaffa. They were said to be followers of Artemis, a lesser Goa?uld in Chronos? system. Artemis herself was aligned with the moon, hunting and agriculture.? Teal?c related.

?Yes, that sounds about right. What I am concerned with, though, is that Artemis was also considered a virgin goddess, chastity was an esteemed quality. Any man attempting to violate that virginity would be punished severely,? Daniel summed up.

?That was also true of the Goa?uld Artemis.? Teal?c confirmed.

?Wonder what could be construed as a violation?? Jack pondered. ?Although I don?t think I?d really want to push any Amazon buttons. If virginity is so cool, how the heck to baby Amazons make it into the world?? He looked at Daniel expectantly. Despite the grimness of the situation, Jack couldn?t keep his sarcastic wit under rein.

?Obviously, a society made up entirely of women would eventually cease to exist. For a short period, the Amazons would mate with men to insure this would not occur. Male babies from such couplings were either killed outright or sent back to their fathers. Themina mentioned that period begins tomorrow. I don?t know about you, but I really don?t want to stick around for that.? Daniel?s eyebrows quirked, accentuating the meaning of his words.

?Tell me about it.? The colonel said as he searched their prison for a means of escape. ?I?m guessing they don?t play nice. Did you see some of the other men? They look like they?ve had their arms and legs broken multiple times. Doesn?t appear these particular ladies want to take the time to raid villages?they just keep their pets easily accessible.?

?Oh, yeah. There has always been speculation the Amazons mutilated their male servants to keep them subservient and to exert their control and power over them. I?d say if these men are any example, that theory is confirmed.?

?I so did not want to hear that, Daniel.? Jack groaned. ?I wonder how Carter is doing??

?I am confident Major Carter will be successful in negotiating our freedom.? Teal?c said.

All three looked at each other uneasily.

?No disrespect is meant, Themina, but nothing you have will be enough to trade my?slaves to you!? Sam argued for the umpteenth time. She was beginning to think she?d be better off banging her head against the wall. She already capitulated and allowed herself to refer to the colonel, Teal?c and Daniel as slaves, hoping this would help sway the Amazon Queen to be more favourable. If anything, her arguments seemed to hinder the ?negotiation.?

?Samantha. Really, I do not understand the difficulty you are having. Are you not willing to share the wealth Artemis has bestowed upon you with your sisters?? Themina chided. ?We will wait until Selene arrives to discuss this further. She is more adept at the politics of domestic affairs. Come, drink with us until she arrives.?

Sam sighed with frustration and glared at her surroundings. The Amazons had brought her to the centre of the village, to a large meeting hall. Inside, tables abounding with food were lined up at the front, smaller tables for seating filled the remainder of the hall. The walls were decorated with animal skins, stag heads and various weapons. Homey.

?Try our mead. Lydia has perfected the fermentation process. You will like it so much, it may play a big factor in our upcoming trade.? Themina gloated, indicating the young dark haired Amazon that had led them on their trek to the village. ?You will sit with us at the head during the festivities.?

Sam?s ire increased. She was never going to convince the Amazons that her friends were not her property. Or convince them that they were, but she didn?t want to trade them. She caught the gleam in Themina?s eyes as she argued their value to her. A sick feeling settled in the pit of her stomach, realisation forming a basketball sized lump there. Had she made things worse for the guys? Themina looked downright hungry at the thought of getting her hands on such highly prized possessions.

Before she could dwell to long on that unpleasant thought, Sam heard a new voice enter the conversation, ?Themina! What have you brought for us??

Sam turned toward the entrance to see a fair-haired woman enter the meeting hall. She was slighter than Themina in build, but still quite impressive. Blue eyes glittered with anticipation as she scanned Sam quickly, making a rough and instant judgement. Sam squirmed under the inspection, discomfort with this entire situation notching up yet another level.

?Selene. Come join us! This is Samantha Carter, a warrior of great skill. She brings to us three new slaves of high quality. You will be impressed, no doubt.? Themina answered her peer.

Selene?s eyes narrowed as she took in Sam?s appearance, pausing at great length at her blonde head.

?I see you are also blessed by Artemis with red hair,? she managed, uttering the words lowly. She appeared unreasonably disturbed by the simple fact.

?Red?? Sam mumbled. Hadn?t Daniel said that the Greeks and Romans called all lighter shades of hair ?red?? She decided to play along, ?Uh, I guess?with a little help from L?Oreal. Because I?m worth it??

Her joke went unappreciated, and Selene managed to regain some semblance of self-control. She tilted her head graciously and spoke, ?I would like to hear how you acquired such fine stock; you do not seem to be overly? physical. Then I will determine for myself their worth.?

Sam ground her teeth and picked up a mug of mead to disguise her displeasure. She was surprisingly offended by Selene?s implication that she wasn?t woman enough to have three slaves. She swallowed the nasty concoction and braced herself for another round of arguments.

Old Post 10-23-2001 06:35 PM
Skip
VAE VICTIS

Daniel sat on the end of his rough cot, rubbing at his bruised arms anxiously. Jack seemed to ceaselessly move around the cramped quarters. Between the motion and the anticipation of what their fates would be, Daniel?s nerves were worn threadbare.

?Can?t you stand still for one minute?? Daniel complained quietly.

Jack stopped pacing momentarily to look pointedly at Daniel, head cocked. His knee was bothering him he had to admit. That hike increased its tenderness twofold. But he felt like he couldn?t think unless he moved.

?Nope.?

Teal?c?s brow rose slightly, observing his companions from a darkened corner. They were not getting along well, and he was reminded of funny, naked little men and the adverse reaction O?Neill and Daniel Jackson suffered on their planet. Daniel opened his mouth again to retort, but the door swung open roughly before he had the chance. Lydia stalked into the room, followed closely by Sam.

?Rise, slave! Why do you not stand in the presence of your betters?? Lydia made to strike Daniel with her spear. Daniel shrank back slightly and Teal?c broke from the shadows, without seemingly moving.

Jack growled lowly in his throat, wanting to strike back, or at least lash out with his tongue, but held back for fear of retribution. He settled a little when he saw Sam push past the girl and he caught her eye, trying to read for a plan, for anything?

?You may leave,? Sam said sharply to the younger woman.

Lydia backed out slowly, bowing her head slightly. She remained just outside the door, Daniel noted, as he heard no footsteps and her shadow cast a telltale sign. He was distracted slightly by his improved tracking skills, and wasn?t aware Sam was speaking to them.

?Daniel, Daniel! Did you hear a word of what I just said?? Sam exasperated, grabbing his shoulders and shaking him like a small child.

?Um, sorry Sam. I was??

?No time. She?ll be back in a minute, they don?t really trust me,? she interrupted brusquely.

?What?s the plan?? Jack asked, eager to get this holiday-from-hell over and done with. You could always count on Carter and that phenomenal brain of hers in a pinch.

?Well, tomorrow night, there is going to be a big feast in Artemis? honour, something to do with the phases of the twin moons and an annual festival of some sort??

Daniel winced, both moons full at the same time? Why hadn?t he noticed that? That would make the festival doubly important. And dangerous. He opened his mouth to inform the others, but Sam glared ferociously at him and his jaw snapped shut reflexively.

?I?ve been made guest of honour and apparently the Queen of all the tribes will soon be here. Themina holds the greatest power in this village, but this Leyda controls all the villages to some extent. She?s Artemis? right hand woman ? probably a Jaffa or maybe even a Goa?uld. She comes peacefully for trade only at this feast, the rest of the year all the tribes are in a state of semi-war, and are very territorial. Selene said that Themina is angling for ?most favoured ally? of Leyda so she has a chance to succeed her and she?ll want to offer her a tribute??

?No. That is not what I wanted to hear! Can?t you do anything?!? Jack was practically scream-whispering. He hated being cornered like this and his control slipped momentarily.

?I?m sorry, Sir! She won?t listen! I?m trying my best?? Sam sputtered in shock and astonishment.

?Then I suggest you go back and bring the SG-3 marines! I am not staying here!?

?Didn?t you tell her you don?t want to trade?? Daniel hissed, joining in the colonel?s berating.

?Yes! Do you think I?m enjoying this? I?m not the diplomat here!?

?Oh man, of all the screwed up planets to visit?? Jack growled, turning his back to them.

?Jack?? Daniel was getting hoarse from the forced hushed tones.

?And what are you implying, Sir?? Sam?s voice was dangerously low, ?This is no worse than certain, male-oriented worlds we?ve seen. The only difference is that you get to be dragged around by your hair. At least they haven?t made you put on some awful native clothing and parade around!?

Sam had sat up half the night drinking that vile mead for the sake of appearances, to avoid alienating herself further from the group and now she was tired. She had put aside her petty needs out of concern for her friends and this was the reception she got?!

?I am leaving. I will be back in the morning, but for now, I am sleeping,? she turned on her heel, feeling very much the need for chocolate and a teddy to throw violently against the wall.

Old Post 10-23-2001 06:37 PM
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

ooooh put more on....... i like where this is going!!!

Old Post 10-24-2001 02:02 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

make it shippy

ooooh put more on....... i like where this is going!!!
is this gonna be shippy... coz i kinda have a soft spot for shippy ones!

Old Post 10-24-2001 02:03 PM
Skip
VAE VICTIS

Exclamation

Sam left the shack, slamming the door with such strength the entire building shook. Jack, Teal?c and Daniel once again looked at each other uneasily.

?Jack, did Sam seem a bit out of character just then?? Daniel hesitantly asked. ?I mean, I realise it?s probably been hard for her to deal with this whole situation, but it?s not like her to??

?Daniel, what are you trying to say? That she?s not putting forth her best effort?? Jack demanded hotly.

?No, that?s not what I?m saying at all!! And it?s not like you instilled her with confidence. Let?s see if I can remember correctly? ?Then I suggest you go back and bring the SG-3 marines!?.? Daniel did his finest Colonel Jack O?Neill impression.

?Oh, for crying out loud! I wasn?t trying to say she couldn?t handle it by herself.? Jack groaned.

?It would appear that is the impression Major Carter received, O?Neill.? Teal?c voiced, not liking the animosity between his two companions. ?I believe Daniel Jackson is saying that normally your comments would not prompt Major Carter to react as strongly as she did.?

?Exactly! Sam usually tolerates your remarks without so much as a flinch. It?s almost as though simply being around the Amazons has somehow, I don?t know, rubbed off on her.?

?Great! So you?re saying Carter might have been compromised in some way? If that turns out to be the case, I have a feeling we are in big trouble.? Jack surmised. ?Remember what she said about the Queen needing a tribute? If Carter?s not going to be able to help us, then we?ll have to come up with something.?

?What do you suggest we do, O?Neill? I do not believe we will be released from this building unless sufficiently guarded. I estimate I could fight three, perhaps four at a time, but you and Daniel Jackson would have difficulty with even one.? Teal?c stated matter of factly.

?Thanks for that. Nothing builds up the ego like being beaten by a girl.? Jack sarcastically commented.

?Jack, he?s right and you know it!? Daniel said, exasperated. ?We need to find a way for at least one of us to make it back to the Stargate.?

The three men stopped talking, silently agreeing on this tactic and set about trying to come up with a viable plan.

Sam fumed all the way to the hut Themina had provided for her. Her head throbbed mercilessly with each step she took, adding to her irritation. She thought she had gained the respect she deserved from the colonel a long time ago, but he was acting like he didn?t trust her any further than he could throw her. And Daniel! His blatant lack of faith stung her acutely. He was always the one to lend support when she needed it, but now he doubted her ability as much as the colonel did. Only Teal?c hadn?t demonstrated contempt for her skills.

By the time she reached her hut, Sam had worked herself into an excited and energised state. She crept onto her cot, but tossed and turned fitfully until she gave up. She needed to work off this energy if she had a prayer of any sleep.

Normally, she?d head to the gym for a couple of rounds at a punching bag. She stumbled into her boots and out the door, a little surprised to see how much activity was going on in the village. She headed to the meeting hall to ask Themina where she could go to work out.

Sam stepped through the door of the meeting hall to find Selene and Themina still drinking mead and laughing jovially. She couldn?t help but wonder at the length of the actual festival would last, if the night before lasted this long!

?Excuse me, I don?t mean to intrude,? Sam began quietly at first, ?but I?m feeling the need for some physical activity??

?Ah, Samantha!? Themina crooned. ?Are you seeking new flesh? Your slaves have become tiresome to you? Lydia! Bring Marcus.? Themina drunkenly grinned at Sam.

?Oh, God! No!? Sam immediately corrected. ?I just feel like a bit of exercise. By myself.?

A small, but shocking part of her responded enthusiastically to Themina?s suggestion, however. Especially when Marcus was brought before her. The slave was young and had once been attractive, his strong features now marred by numerous scars, his dark eyes dull and lifeless. Sam could certainly assert her strength upon him.

As the thoughts swirled around in her head, Sam was sickened by them. What was happening to her? Had she really been considering raping this poor man? She needed that punching bag. Now.

Jack resumed his incessant hobbling, as he, Daniel and Teal?c all attempted to find a good way out of their situation. Daniel lay sprawled on a cot, his left arm flung over his eyes to block out any distraction and Teal?c had placed himself in Kel no?reem.

The situation could safely be called desperate. Jack had a gut feeling that the ?tribute? for this Leyda either didn?t survive the length of the day -- or did and wished he hadn?t. He paused his pacing to study his two companions. He wasn?t concerned for Teal?c. No matter whom they designated as the runner, Teal?c would be okay.

Daniel though -- it could get ugly for him. And for himself, he admitted. He already knew he wouldn?t be going anywhere. The team leader does not leave anyone behind. Besides, his knee really did hurt.

?Jack.?

The voice made him start ?Geez, Daniel! Give a guy a heart attack, why don?t ya?!?

?Sorry.? Daniel grinned, not sorry a bit. ?I?ve been thinking and the only thing I can come up with is not good.?

?Spit it out, Daniel.?

?Okay. Well, you know how I said before that chastity is a highly esteemed virtue? Might a good distraction be if one or two of us threatened one of them??

?You?re kidding, right? Can?t you think of anything that would not result in physical abuse??

?I told you it wasn?t good! But I can?t think of anything else that would attract as much attention to the offender, can you?? Daniel challenged. ?Hey, it?s not like I want to get beaten up!?

?I also do not like the idea, O?Neill, but cannot think of an alternative.? Teal?c?s deep voice startled both of them.

?Ack! Teal?c don?t do that!!?

?I am sorry, O?Neill.? Teal?c apologised. ?I have also determined that I have the greatest likelihood of success in such an escape attempt. The individual selected to go will have to travel to our former campsite to obtain a GDO, and it was several hours from the Stargate.?

?Oh, damn. I forgot about that. Do we know if the Amazons just left it there? They could have gone back and grabbed our stuff for all we know!? This was getting worse and worse.

?Well, Sam would know. She should be back to check up on us soon.? Daniel looked at his watch. ?In the meantime, we can try to work out the details of this?plan.?

?Right.? Jack sighed. He wished fervently this planet had remained boring.

Themina showed Sam the Amazon training area, which was equipped with an assortment of endurance?machines? Sam?s eyes wandered around before settling on a familiar object?the punching bag, universal tool for any real gym. Not needing anything else, Sam thanked Themina and began a vigorous boxing session.

With each punch, Sam?s headache seemed to dissipate. The more aggressively she attacked the bag, the better she felt! The scientific Sam wondered about this phenomenon, but soon that portion of her brain was disregarded and she saw only the bag. Her punches became brutal as she began imagining it was the colonel?s face she was pummelling. Then Daniel?s.

?Damnit, I thought she was going to come back sooner than this. She knows that we need to get out of here before the big hoo-haa starts!? Jack ranted, lack of sleep and food influencing his mood. The Amazons hadn?t even hinted they?d be fed before the festival began. Why give them strength?

They had spent the better part of the night devising their great escape. Which sadly consisted of he and Daniel groping a couple of the Amazons. They were hoping the punishment would be lessened if the focus were on two rather than one. Their plan sucked. But it was all they had, provided Sam could confirm the location of the GDOs.

?I?m sure she?s coming, Jack. Getting upset about it really won?t help.?

?Thank you, Zen master.? Jack retorted, rolling his eyes.

Daniel?s retort was cut off when Sam abruptly barged into the hut. She looked awful?hair unkempt, huge dark circles under her eyes, clothes sweaty and soiled. Her eyes flashed angrily at her three teammates, and it was apparent to them she had not slept at all. Behind her trailed five warriors.

?Sam! Finally! We?ve been hoping you?d get here!? Daniel exclaimed, leaping to his feet.

To everyone?s utter shock, Sam responded by backhanding him on his already bruised cheek. Unprepared for the assault, Daniel stumbled back. Teal?c reached out and caught him before he could fall.

?Carter, what the hell are you doing?!? Jack yelled. He grabbed her arm before she could deliver another blow.

She turned on him quickly. ?You! You arrogant, half-witted jackass! Get your hands off me!?

Before Jack knew it, Sam hauled back her right fist and swung back with an adrenaline infused arm. Jack?s head snapped back, blood spurting from his mouth.

Stunned, he simply looked at her, swiping the back of his right hand across his mouth. He cringed as he saw the crimson stain. Instinct screamed kick or get kicked, but reason shouted equally loudly that this was Carter, his second in command. Damnit, his friend. The internal battle held him long enough for the young lackey to smack him between the shoulder blades with her staff and deliver a swift kick to his wounded knee.

Sinking to the ground, he saw Daniel stumble forward hesitantly before his old friend darkness told him how nice it was to see him again so soon.

Old Post 10-24-2001 08:32 PM
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

oooooooo this is getting good!"!!!! you gotta make it more shippy though pleaseeeeeeeee!!!

Old Post 10-25-2001 09:37 AM
Skip
VAE VICTIS

i will not be ruled, sorry. stay with me

Daniel?s mouth unhinged as he saw Sam hit Jack brutally, and he automatically made to go forward to assist him. His mind forced him to stop, warning of painful retribution and a realisation that one of them should appear co-operative to keep their chances of survival stable. If he didn?t fight them, maybe they wouldn?t be killed outright. He was forced to helplessly watch Jack slump to the hard clay floor.

Teal?c pushed past the blockade of enraged warriors, knocking several flying as he did, alerting Daniel that this seemed as good an opportunity they would get for executing their plan. Daniel just hoped it would work. They could really use some luck right about now. And Teal?c looked like he could use some assistance. Tapping into his waning energy reserves, Daniel shouted out, waving his arms to distract the women, ?Hey! Over here!?

Startled by his lame outburst, the women glanced up from their battle with the large Jaffa long enough for him to break fully from them and escape through the door. Daniel watched with anticipation, praying silently Teal?c would not be stopped.

The makeshift plan fell apart when Daniel realised that he had no plan past the distraction and options for dealing with five, very angry, very armed women were few and far between. He gulped, raised his hands and backed up until he hit the wall, glancing quickly at the unconscious colonel before the women closed in around him.

Teal?c ran through the dark woods, listening for signs of pursuit. He couldn?t hear any now, but knew that the Amazons would be expert trackers and they would be coming soon. Using the bright glow of the twin moons to guide him, Teal?c slowed to a steady, sustainable pace.

The night was drawing in, but at least there were no indigenous life forms to contend with. Teal?c hated to leave his comrades in such a terrible situation, but he knew that he would be of greater assistance to them if he could get word to the SGC. He greatly feared for Major Carter?s safety as well. Daniel Jackson?s observations of her behaviour did indeed appear accurate and Teal?c hoped the Amazons had not done permanent harm to her. Best to leave such speculation to those who knew more about such things. He would bring assistance through and his friends would receive the medical attention they needed. Teal?c hoped they wouldn?t need much, but judging from the men already residing in the village they would if he was not successful...

It was dark. Dark and... not quiet. There were noises, muffled and distant. Jack knew he should wake up, shake off the blanket. The nice warm blanket that he could hide underneath, hide from all the troubles, all the responsibilities...

No. He couldn?t hide; there were things that needed to be done, people who needed him...

?Daniel!?

Jack immediately regretted getting up quite so quickly... his head felt like he?d met a freight train straight on, and the room spun crazily. Cradling his aching head, he looked around. He?d been moved into yet another crude hut. It was slightly smaller than their previous accommodations. Fabulous! He?d been booked into a private suite, complete with one plush, cosy cot and?that?s it.

There was no indication Daniel or Teal?c had ever been with him. Maybe both of them got away? Right.

He stumbled about the small room drunkenly, pain in his right knee shooting all the way into his lower back. Not good at all. He was barely mobile, alone, and surrounded by women. Every man?s fantasy, except he wanted out.

Jack collapsed on the hard cot and pondered his options. It didn?t take long, as he couldn?t think of any.

?Hey! Sheba! She-Ra! Wonder Woman! Anyone?? he called futilely. Not surprisingly, there was no response.

These women preferred the silence. Women... Carter... Jack groaned, recalling their last ?conversation?.
He hadn?t hit her, instead, he?d stood staring dumbly at her. That moment of indecision, of weakness, had probably cost him any ground he?d had. He should?ve restrained her, should?ve taken control of the situation better. If he had, his team would still be together. He could?ve taken Carter back and gotten her seen to, could?ve kept Daniel safe...

But he hadn?t. Instead, he had held back. Was it because they were close? Would he have hit Daniel, if the positions had been different? He would?ve had no trouble hitting any other man under his command, or even a superior, come to think... Damnit! Jack kicked himself as he realised that half the problem was that his Major was a woman.

He tried to treat her the same as he would any other member of his team. Most of the time, he didn?t even think of her like that, not while they were working. Hadn?t she done enough to earn his respect? Didn?t she deserve to be treated the same when she wasn?t herself?

Jack groaned again. Waiting it out now seemed to be his only option.

Daniel looked around the room he?d been ?escorted? into. His guides hadn?t been all that friendly and he had no idea where here was. Or where Jack was. Or if Teal?c was still out there somewhere. Or if Sam was okay.

He winced and lightly probed his swollen cheekbone, telling himself never to get in a fistfight with Sam again. She packed quite a punch?

?Hmm, Themina was right...?

Daniel struggled not to stare at the woman entering the room. Something about the way she was slinking in set off every alarm in Daniel?s head.

?She also said you were talkative, ?impudent and undisciplined?, were the words I think she used,? she closed in, circling him to look from all angles, ?What?s the matter? Bit through your tongue??

Daniel took a deep breath and tried to make his cheeks pale through sheer effort of will, they burned hotly and proclaimed his discomfort more readily than a flashing sign. ?No, I learned that others would do it for me. Where are my friends??

Selene ignored his question. She reached up to his face and studied the impressive bruise that was closing his eye, ?Ah, so I can see. Sister Samantha has been letting you run loose...?

Daniel might have taken a few blows, but it didn?t take his years of linguistic training to spot the pure venom dripping from her voice as she uttered Sam?s name. His eyes narrowed as he wondered what Sam had done to anger this woman so much. He eyed her, confused. Selene was a rather slim woman and not the sort of person who earned respect amongst such blood-thirsty culture, she stood out somehow and yet...

?Samantha told me that you would be the one most likely to talk, she said that you were the one most prepared to answer my questions and to ask some of your own. Obviously, she was wrong...?

?Oh, so you think you can turn the volume on and off when you like?? He blurted irritably before he could stop himself. Selene looked surprised and delighted.

?I understand my sisters have been less than willing to listen. Come, eat with me.? she purred.

Daniel stared after her. This was obviously some trick, or some new tactic. Despite her friendly words, he could sense the underlying selfish nature. She reminded him of somebody... some politician? Had she developed her weird tact in self-preservation?

Daniel followed her, not having much choice in the matter. He could see it now, Jack would explode, ?What? You get knocked about a bit and get dragged into the castle again??

Maybe he could negotiate something, gain her trust, do something... Even if he totally failed on that count, he needed to eat, the last meal had been his favourite. MREs cooked over an open fire. Somehow, Daniel felt that he would need all the strength he could get.

Old Post 10-25-2001 06:12 PM
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

i swear there was a bit of shippiness in there

Old Post 10-25-2001 06:56 PM
Skip
VAE VICTIS

i am called many things.......

Daniel kneaded the back of his neck, tense knots had formed during the hour he had been conversing with Selene.

The discussion had not progressed very far ? Daniel did not want to reveal too much and Selene, it seemed, also wished to keep her motives hidden. Daniel felt like a prized pig, having been fed and watered for what he knew would ultimately lead to a slaughter, metaphorical or actual.

Selene circled him like a shark, watching his every movement, catching every word, every gesture. Daniel rolled his eyes as she stopped behind him and stroked his hair menacingly. He felt impotent and out of control. He noted that her voice always remained very low and soothing. Either she was trying to coerce Daniel to co-operate fully or she didn?t want anyone to know she was speaking to him. Daniel suspected it was a combination of the two.

He unconsciously shrugged away from her touch, and her fist gripped his head in response. Daniel stiffened for a moment before forcing himself to relax. Up until this point, Selene had posed no direct physical threat. He didn?t want that to change, but he could not refrain from asking again, ?When can I see my friends??

She laughed at him cruelly and swatted his head almost playfully. ?Oh, you are persistent, aren?t you? You should consider yourself very fortunate to be alive right now. Any other man would have been beaten to death long ago for your lack of co-operation.?

Her tone became decidedly less cordial. ?You will see them when I see fit. It seems your Jaffa friend is more elusive than anticipated. Themina and her warriors are having quite a difficult time retrieving him. They will locate him, and when they do he will pay for his impudence.?

Daniel swallowed compulsively as he absorbed her words, hoping even more adamantly for Teal?c?s success. The SGC was not expecting their return until tomorrow, and he feared none of them had that long. Frustration overcame common sense and he burst, ?Look, threats will not make me open up any quicker. I won?t say another word until you let me see Jack.?

Selene jerked his head back to face her direction, gripping his jaw tightly. Her toothy grin became a snarl. ?Fine, Daniel. You seem like an intelligent beast. What would you say if I told you I?d give you anything you want, including seeing your friends??

?I?d say ?What do I have to do??.?

?Ah! I think the true question is what would you be willing to do to get what you want?? Selene gleamed evilly.

Daniel?s stomach twisted violently, the food he?d been given threatening to make an unpleasant reappearance. He knew he wouldn?t like the answer, but had to ask anyway, ?What do you want from me, Selene? Enough with the cloak and dagger stuff??

?I want you to kill Samantha Carter.?

Teal?c quietly observed the abandoned campsite, searching for any sign of the Amazons. He feared they had gone back during his captivity and retrieved the team?s supplies. It appeared to be untouched, but Teal?c knew that appearances could be deceiving. He circled the campsite to view it from all directions. Not satisfied with a purely visual assessment, he broke off a large branch and prodded each backpack apprehensively. He was not pleased to have to waste precious time, but could not risk capture. Jaffa legends had portrayed the Amazons as a formidable race and they were not to be underestimated.

Taking a final glance around him, Teal?c dropped the branch and proceeded toward the nearest pack. Fear for the rest of SG-1 overrode caution and he grabbed it quickly. Nothing. The Amazons had not returned to the campsite.

He opened the pack, intending to remove only the GDO, leaving the remainder of the contents to quicken his journey back to the Stargate. He grasped the GDO, but before he could move, he felt a surge similar to a Zat blast pulse through him. The electric shock paralysed him in a macabre convulsion for endless moments before he fell to his side, spasms continuing harshly. As his eyes closed, the last thing Teal?c saw were the angry faces of ten women as they closed in on him.

Jack wondered how long he had been in his wonderful new home away from home. He could hear no movement outside the hut, but had a feeling it was well guarded. His head still throbbed and he could feel other parts of his body ache from the earlier assault. Damn Amazons apparently had no qualms about kicking a man when he was down.

His thoughts turned again to his team. Not knowing their fates was eating away at him. As worried as he was about Carter?s present condition, he was fairly sure she would come to no harm from the Amazons. They seemed to be quite chummy, actually.

He shook his head angrily at the reminder of his hesitation to hit her. Common sense told him it would have done no good, but the weak spot irritated him nonetheless. Thank goodness Teal?c had reacted appropriately, taking advantage of the chaotic moment.

Jack mentally crossed his fingers that Teal?c had made it back to the Stargate. This situation was rapidly going from shit to hell to shit again. He wasn?t questioning Teal?c?s ability in any way, but these women were proving to be quite the adversaries. If Teal?c said the Jaffa considered them equals, Jack was sure they?d not let his mission be a simple one. Jack forced himself to believe that Teal?c was already in contact with General Hammond. The alternative was too grim to think about ? for himself, Teal?c, Carter and?Daniel.

Where was Daniel?? Jack was most concerned for his young friend. If the Amazons had not yet punished him for the fiasco with Carter, might they be punishing Daniel right now? Jack glared at the door as though it were mocking him ? laughing at his inability to do anything to fix this. He was sickened to think of what those warriors were doing to Daniel. Images of deformed and scarred men flashed through his head.

No!

Thoughts like that would do no good. He would find a way out of this. Teal?c would bring reinforcements. Carter would come to her senses. And Daniel would be just fine. They?d all be just fine.

Jack?s mini pep talk ended when the door flung open and a body was tossed in. It crumpled lifelessly on the floor, and Jack strained top see if the person was still breathing. He didn?t dare move until the door was once again slammed shut.

He rushed to his new roommate and turned him over gently, fear racing through his veins. The person had still not made a sound, nor had he moved.

Damn, damn! Sh*t.

It was Teal?c, his features barely recognisable. It looked as though they had beaten him within an inch of his life. Jack made a fast check of his injuries, noting Teal?c?s left arm twisted in an unnatural angle. When his hands felt along his torso, he could feel three, no four, broken ribs. Teal?c?s right knee was swollen to almost double it?s size and along with the collection of bruises on his face, his head had several deep cuts oozing blood across his mangled face.

Jack searched the quarters for anything to aid his friend but found nothing, not even water. He stripped off his T-shirt and began tearing it for bandages.

This mission just kept getting worse and worse.

Sam opened her eyes, refreshed after only a few hours of sleep. She sat up and stretched lazily, happy to be among friends at last. The past four years of her life had been wasted in the company of men. She looked forward with excitement to the evening?s festivities, especially the tribute to be offered to Leyda. Sam wondered how the search for Teal?c was coming and decided to lend a hand if he had not yet been found. After all, she had first hand knowledge of the man, as disgusting as that seemed at the moment, and it could prove very valuable.

She peered out of her hut, noticing the hustle and bustle of the village as the women prepared for the festival and headed for the meeting hall. As she approached the building, she could hear quiet murmurs emanating from it. Curiosity made her stop just outside the door to eavesdrop on the occupants.

?I want you to kill Samantha Carter.?

Anger coursed through Sam at Selene?s words. She fought the overwhelming urge to break into the hall and attack Selene. She managed to restrain herself and listen for the second person?s response. Sam assumed it was Themina Selene was speaking to, but was shocked and angered further to hear Daniel?s voice.

?Oh, is that all you want me to do??

Sam heard no more. The blood rushed loudly in her ears and she stormed away from the building. So Daniel had managed to sweet talk his way into Selene?s bed, had he? She raged at the deception the pair of them were planning, Selene obviously seeking power over Themina by killing her.. How did Selene think she could get rid of her by using a weakling like Daniel? The humour of that thought interfered with her rage and she began to chuckle maniacally.

She had to find Themina. Sam clutched the arm of a passing Amazon, ?Can you tell me if the Jaffa has been found??

?Yes, he has been. Themina put him in with the old slave, then she went to her home to rest for this evening?s celebration.?

?Show me.?

Old Post 10-25-2001 07:01 PM
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

jack is not an old slave
hes only 51!
there wasnt enough shippiness in that!

Old Post 10-25-2001 07:17 PM
Skip
VAE VICTIS

DO NOT TRY TO BOSS ME ABOUT, PUDDY i dont take kindly

?Oh, is that all you want me to do?? Daniel scoffed at the idea. Nothing would induce him to harm any of SG-1, a fact Selene had not yet determined.

?Sarcasm does not become you, slave,? Selene snapped. ?You will kill her before tonight?s feast is concluded. Themina seeks to buy power, but it is my right to succeed Leyda. Artemis bestowed me with red hair, not Themina. All these years I have spent working with that bitch to gain rank with Leyda. She will not snatch it away from me now. And the last thing I need is another blessed warrior as competition. Samantha Carter must be removed before she becomes a threat.?

Daniel listened in shock to Selene?s rampage, thankful she was at last revealing her intentions. Her eyes blazed with passion/anger and, Daniel sensed, something darker. This woman would stop at nothing to reach her goal. He wondered if she intended to assassinate either Leyda or Themina along with Sam. Sam.

Daniel scoured his memory banks to come up with anything regarding red hair. Nothing. He supposed it really didn?t matter if he could remember why it was significant. The fact that it was was apparent by Selene?s maddened frenzy. Shuddering slightly, Daniel vowed to refuse participation in anything she intended.

?Are you listening to me, Slavedaniel?? She mutated his name, ?Any overt sign of my plans would end in my own execution and I can?t have that, can I? But if a former slave of Samantha Carter?s decides to seek revenge upon her by murdering her, no one would question it??

?I won?t do it. Sam is not my master, she is my friend.? Daniel angrily interrupted, unable to remain silent any longer.

?You really don?t have a choice. Either you kill her, or I kill you.?

To reinforce the sincerity of her threat, Selene?s hand clamped around Daniel?s throat and she squeezed fiercely. Daniel struggled to breathe around the vice like grip, but had little success. D?j? vu. His head began to swim, the room spun crazily and shadows played at the edge of his vision. He felt his eyes begin to roll back as grey turned to black.

Teal?c finally was showing signs of life. Okay, the Jaffa moaned disturbingly as Jack worked on his wounds, wincing at the pain he was causing his friend. He had suffered sympathy pains while Sarah was going through labour with Charlie, and he felt something akin to that sensation right now.

He wrapped Teal?c?s ribs as best he could, praying there were no internal injuries, or if there were that they weren?t too severe for Junior to fix. Next he moved to Teal?c?s knee. It was difficult to tell exactly what happened, but Jack unconsciously rubbed his own tender knee. They sure made it clear Teal?c would not be participating in any marathons in the near future.

With a small strip of his T-shirt, he gently swabbed the blood off Teal?c?s battered face. He looked as bad as when Nirrti had attacked him and Chronos. The Jaffa flinched reflexively at the touch and moaned once again.

?Sorry, buddy. I?m almost done. I know I don?t have Doc Fraiser?s bedside manner, such that it is, but I?m all you got.?

He wound several strips around Teal?c?s head like a turban. The bleeding was slowing a bit, which Jack took as a sign Junior was doing his job. His hand lingered on Teal?c?s bandages and he allowed himself to do absolutely nothing but worry. He sighed heavily in grim anticipation of his next task.

Jack inhaled deeply before grasping Teal?c?s left shoulder with one hand and reaching for his wrist with the other. He?d done this a million times ? he could do it again. He had to do it again. One last breath and Jack twisted Teal?c?s arm forcefully back into its natural position. The horrendous sound of it seemed to reverberate throughout the small room. Teal?c arched his back in pain and moaned piteously, remaining thankfully unconscious.

Jack looked around desperately for something to splint the arm, but again came up empty handed. All he could do was hope the women did not return to inflict more abuse on them. It was killing him to see Teal?c in such pain.

?Oh, God, Teal?c. I?m so sorry. I never should have gone along with such a bad plan. Not that I could have done anything to stop you, what with me getting the crap kicked out of me and all, but if I had nixed it from the beginning?? Jack stopped. ?What am I doing? What?s done is done. Pissing and moaning will get me nowhere.?

Determined not to let his self-reproach outweigh the need to figure out a solution to the current problem, Jack?s left leg jostled nervously. If only he had someone to bounce ideas off of?

He sensed a slight change in Teal?c?s breathing pattern and crouched next to him. He laid his hand on Teal?c?s good shoulder and murmured softly, ?Hey.?

Teal?c turned his head slowly, but didn?t say anything. He figured that Teal?c wouldn?t appreciate a molly coddling, so he decided to give him the facts, ?You?ve done a couple of ribs in and dislocated your left shoulder. Your knee is shot, at least for the time being. I?m not sure if you?ve got any internal injuries...?

?Indeed, I do not believe that I have incurred any serious injuries. I will recover, but I will need time to recuperate as my symboite attempts to heal me. However, I am slightly dehydrated and in need of medical supplies.? The voice was hoarse, but steady.

Jack sighed deeply, glad that Teal?c was now conscious, but pained to see his friend suffering even more, ?Yeah, well that?s the problem. We haven?t got any of either and I can?t see any way of getting them.?

He lay back onto the creaking wall, idly entertaining fantasies of it falling down and letting him and Teal?c run away... run away. That?s a joke, they could barely stand, not a good leg between them.

?What happened??

?I reached the campsite and checked for an ambush, but clearly I did not check well enough,? he smiled slightly, grimly. ?Where is Daniel Jackson??

Jack shrugged. He felt like giving in. Two team members injured beyond self-repair, one compromised and one... missing. Nice little party. ?I?m all out. Unless you have a better idea than glaring at the Amazons until they let us go home...? he held his aching head in his hands.

Sam stormed into Themina?s antechamber, dismissing the nervous servants with an impatient wave, ?Themina! I need to talk to you.?

Themina looked up from her meal, cocking her head in bemusement, ?Ah, Sister Samantha, what urgent catastrophe urges you to drag me away from my meal??

?Selene,? Sam snarled.

Themina?s eyes widened in surprise, then narrowed in distaste, ?You are right, this is urgent news. What is she up to now??

?She is coercing Daniel,? the name was reduced to a guttural growl, ?to kill me! She promised him his freedom and that of his friends.?

?That is not acceptable.? Her eyes darkened, ?Although assassination is not frowned upon, being discovered surely is. And she should not be fooling with the intended tribute. I have suffered her machinations for long enough, come, we will turn her cleverness against her.?

This was more like it; Sam took a seat beside Themina and poured herself a drink. ?I like the sound of that. What do I have to do??

Old Post 10-25-2001 07:24 PM