Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Is the Stargate two-way?
Pages (6): « First ... « 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

No. Only if you connect it to a non-artificial black hole(for some reason)...
A non-artificial black hole (natrually occurring). You know of another kind?

And why would that affect how the gate operated. It didn't in Matter of Time.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-26-2002 09:06 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

An artificial black hole of course. It's safe to assume that since there are beings that can create stars, there are beings that can create black holes as well(in the stargate universe). And control them.

In "A matter off time" the gravitation of the black hole is transferred by the stargate, even though the connection wasn't established from the planet orbiting the blackhole.

Old Post 11-26-2002 10:16 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

There was an established connection from the planet in A Matter of Time. Several infact, IIRC.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 11-26-2002 10:19 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

No. There wasn't. The connection was established when the SGC tried to communicate with the lost team. IIRC. I'll have check it for a fact when I get home, but I'm pretty sure about this...

Old Post 11-26-2002 10:58 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

The team on the planet dialled earth several times. It seemed to them that the Stargate wasn't working because of the slowing down of time, but it was.

Old Post 11-26-2002 11:08 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

Certain matter and some definging laws of the universe (gravity from black holes) - I'm sure i said these were already discovered to be able to go in more than one direction. But geez, talk about splitting hairs. Stargate is NOT two way. It is one way with certain exceptions.
The flow of traffic in one lane on a road is only one way. But there are exceptions, ie: emergancy vehicles needing to avoid traffic, etc.

Old Post 11-27-2002 12:41 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

It's safe to assume that since there are beings that can create stars, there are beings that can create black holes as well
Not really, a black hole is a far different can of worms. The only race that has "made" a star that we've seen is the Aschen and they didn't make it, they just ignited it.

What is IIRC?

But geez, talk about splitting hairs. Stargate is NOT two way. It is one way with certain exceptions.
Correct me if I'm wrong but we have seen dozens of times of direct quotes that say precisely: Gate IS, that is no if's, no but's, no exceptions, one way with matter.

Other phases might and can go in reverse.

I really would like to know WHY exactly the wormhole in the gate can only go 1 way.

Old Post 11-27-2002 05:42 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

IIRC - If I recall correctly

Old Post 11-27-2002 11:44 AM
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

quote:
Originally posted by Lord ?okar
I really would like to know WHY exactly the wormhole in the gate can only go 1 way.
I'm just guessing that maybe it's a built in safety measure. Same way as you wouldn't want two people walking through a door in opposite directions...

Old Post 11-27-2002 07:27 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

Power concerns. I don't think those DHDs can actually output that much energy; I think they only have enough for regular use with a low mass limit.

OT: This is something which should be explored; the team dial up Earth, only to have the DHD fizzle and run out of power. SG-1 couyld spend all episode looking for a power source, while the SGC suddenly relizes that the 9th chevron has a lot of dust on it......

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 11-27-2002 07:43 PM
TheOneKEA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOneKEA Click here to Send TheOneKEA a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneKEA Add TheOneKEA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

If that were so, I imagine the Goa'uld and hence the Tok'Ra would know about it by now.

Old Post 11-27-2002 10:19 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote