Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Technological advancement
Pages (11): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Siler Jr

quote:
Origionally posted by president doc
It shows that not much development was made in times of peace, but within a decade of war, everything can change.

This certainly wasn't my interpretation of the Star Trek franchise so we are in disagreement.
Exploring new technology and refining existing technology will augment each other to some extent and there is definitely a grey area between when a breakthough in design becomes an advancement instead of a refinement.
In any case the military are still working on various technologies years ahead of the corresponding civilian projects. I take the view that the current increase in private sector R&D is a temporary blip brought on by the rapid adaptation to computers which will largely decline once information technology reaches saturation point in new civilian goods. At this point most of the potential for profit will fall as the impact of replacing existing computers with improved computers declines. It is impossible to be sure what state future technology advancement will take. I simply extrapolate from the general history of the last century, president doc evidently extrapolates from the changes over the last decade.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 08-04-2002 05:39 PM
Siler Jr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Siler Jr Find more posts by Siler Jr Add Siler Jr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

quote:
Originally posted by Bose-Einstein
The F-15 was developed in a rush in response to the new MIG-25 Foxbat. America assumed by the look of it alone that it was the best fighter ever and they would need a great counterpart. Turned out in fact that the MIG-25 was great at going fast in a straight line, but nothing else really. The M1 Tanks weren't about during Vietnam, though I can't be so certain that the Americans realised during Vietnam that their existing tanks just didn't cut it and thus made better ones. Heh.

The development of the M1-series began in the early '70's with the end of the stillborn MBT-70 program meant to replace the M26/M46/M47/M48/M60-family of tanks. A number of the armor officers that were polled to determine the characteristics/priorities for the new tanks were fresh from Vietnam and the design even reflects this in the number of machineguns fitted, their placement, and the dropping of the Shilleleigh firing main gun system.

Basically, the major influence from Vietnam on the series, was a reminder that the US sometimes had to fight other than in Europe...

As to the F15...

The F15 was originally designed to fight the MiG-25...

Which was intended to kill the (never actually fielded) XB-70 Valkyrie based on data/design information from the A5 Vigilante Attack Aircraft of the US Navy...

...The XB-70 was designed to be able to outperform the existing interceptors of the day when the B-58 Hustler's started losing their edge.

The B58 Hustler was a replacement for the subsonic B52 Stratofortress because it was too slow to outrun interceptors at altitude.

What happened?

The US started fielding cruise missiles...

...totally avoiding the problems with the Soviet SAM defenses and manned interceptors...

...some of which are launched off B52's.

Irony, gotta' love it...

Where was I?

The F15.

There were two families of air-to-air fighter types prior to that program...

Interceptors and dog fighters.

The F15, based on the F4's performance in Vietnam and the modifications required, is one of the first designed to be both.

The internal gun, high visibility, long range radars, low wing loading, single-man cockpit, automation...

...all of it is influenced by the F4's performance and other aircraft's perfoermance over Vietnam.

For comparison, look up the YF-12 derivitave of the SR71 Blackbird and some of the late prototypes General Dynamics had for the F102/F106 family.

Those could probably catch and kill a Foxbat...

...but you couldn't dogfight in them.

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 08-04-2002 07:08 PM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

quote:
Originally posted by Siler Jr

It is impossible to be sure what state future technology advancement will take. I simply extrapolate from the general history of the last century, president doc evidently extrapolates from the changes over the last decade.

Looking at the last century or millenium wont be much use however when you look at the large changes that have occured over just the last...century... the whole ethos and way the world works has changed....

It has been shown in every major conflict that the world is completely changed within a span of 5 or 6 years...

and as for the decade? I was talking about the franchise of trek, lol... clearly the dominion war led to huge advances showcased within the episodes and movies...

In terms of refinement and breakthroughs, whats generally happened is that you have s curves depicting development of current generation technologies, which overlap near the end of their existance with the newly begining s curves of a whole new technology... where am I going with this? I dont know, ive got about 50 people messaging me... but im sure theres a point in there somewhere.

>mashes send reply<

Oh, and DB, with the fighter variant of the sr71, you wouldnt need to dog fight, its simply a look down and kill scenario, of course, cost and business deals always wins over...
if 20 planes could do the job of an airforce, whod get contracts to build the hundreds of fighter planes you "need" ?

Last edited by president doc on 08-04-2002 at 08:48 PM

Old Post 08-04-2002 08:42 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thor Jr
Live Long and don't die

quote:
Originally posted by Deathbunny
Defense requirements provide the impetus and drive to explore new technologies and overcome the sociopolitical inertia against making the effort...

...Profit motive promotes efficiency in production and refinement of existing technology.

I tend to dissagree, look at the US at the moment, pondering along at the suggestions of their 'Star Wars' missle defence system. its not really doing much at the moment, but I bet if they where in the middle of a big war the whole system would be up and running yesterday.

Thor Jr

Old Post 08-05-2002 12:25 AM
Thor Jr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thor Jr Click here to Send Thor Jr a Private Message Find more posts by Thor Jr Add Thor Jr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

OK, the technology is being developed...

...the fielding and practical refinement is on hold.

"It's not your Daddy's SDI!"

Or at least that's what they want you to think!!!

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 08-05-2002 02:20 AM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

It's bit sad that they hasn't followed up the bedrosian story. It would've given more than following up the tollan story.

Old Post 08-05-2002 05:01 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

About New Ground - if you think religion won't allow tech advancment, then they could simply spy on the Optricans (the non religious ones?) and nick tech.

And what giant leap do the Goa'uld make in S5? Why is it giant, what do you ahve to compare it to, maybe they were working on it for the past 3 seasons. You see in Upgrades (with the Armbands) that Apophis is working on developing a new ship. Teal'c also says he hasn't seen the shield that Apophis first use in the Nox. I'm sure you're overlooking loads of advancements.

Old Post 08-05-2002 09:20 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

I guess my thread on religion is from a judeo-christian point of view(as the dark ages were an effect of the actions of wrong-headed christians), so I guess that I could be wrong at that point. Other religions may be more effienct at developing technology. But I think that it is a problem for development when the religion doesn't allow space-travel, but then again it's a earth-centric view...

The tech development(for the goa'ulds) in pre season 5 episodes is merely consisting of refinement of older technologies. In season 5 they come up with solutions to almost every problem in a accelerating pace. New tech's is developed at a daily basis almost. Which is an incredible acceleration given that they haven't developed new weapons or transport systems for at least 2000 years prior to that. Suddenly they seem like an uncurable disease which no one will be able to stop.

Maybe it's just my dissapointment with the more black & white episodes of season five(those that are evil are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo evil and those that are good are soooooooooooooooooooooo good), that makes see too much in the episodes. I mean why can't someone just cut the head of this boring 'Anubis' character. He's so boring that I actually would've have preferred that they revived 'Apophis' for the thousand time instead.

Last edited by 320rwekfpl on 08-05-2002 at 10:12 AM

Old Post 08-05-2002 10:10 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Whats wrong in having a totally bad guy and a totally good set of people?

The shades of grey are amply filled in with the likes of Yu, the Tok'ra, the NID and various others within the pentagon/SGC, or earths allies... even the russians and others... lets wait another 5-10 episodes.

Old Post 08-05-2002 10:40 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

It's too much Star Wars over that. And if I wanted to see Star Wars, I would see Star Wars. But I think that Star Wars is boring and you can never guess why...

And now, my deepest fear has come try. A Darth Vader has gotten his way into the show. Hiding his face, exclaimed as pure evil without no explenation what so ever. Please tell me that this doesn't continue in Episode III, excuse me season 6. (I haven't got a high-speed internet connection, so I cannot check it out for myself). Please...

Disclaimer: If you don't share my opionion, please don't flame. Just tell me that everything gonna be fine and not Star Wars.

Old Post 08-05-2002 04:11 PM
president doc

Well, youve seen one episode, dont judge from there! jeeze, wait till you see a few episodes in season six
Im sure his character will be explained more in there.

Old Post 08-05-2002 06:39 PM
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

as long as he is less darth vaderish... i'll be fine

Old Post 08-06-2002 04:37 AM
itssoLARGE

Well maybe a lot of Anubis's new technology comes from the Tollan? I know that Anubis had the shield tech to counteract the Ion cannon before he took over the Tollan. But maybe some of the new tech comes from the Tollan.

Old Post 08-13-2002 03:26 AM
itssoLARGE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for itssoLARGE Click here to Send itssoLARGE a Private Message Find more posts by itssoLARGE Add itssoLARGE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thialfi

For centuries the Goa'uld saw no reason to develop their technology. They were all at equal levels technologically speaking and the Asgard were leaving them alone so there were no other races that were even remotely a threat to them.

Then we come along. We may not be as advanced as they are but we know how to fight. Suddenly there's this little blue planet which, while primitive in comparison, seems to pose a massive threat.
The Goa'uld then start developing new technology.
Apophis' Personal Shield
New Motherships
Cloaking devices, both for personal and ship usage.

Most of these were developed by Apophis, who knew how much of a threat we were.

Then we start killing loads of System Lords (to the extent where there is only one original, Yu, remaining)

The entire Goa'uld empire begins breaking down because the System Lords are being killed and are not there to regulate lesser Goa'uld. Goa'uld are forming larger armies consisting of the troops of their deceased enemies.

So in the past 5 year, the Goa'uld have suddenly made a number of technological advancements that wouldn't have come about had we not turned up and started doing them in.

And it was never said that the Tollans were transplanted humans. My personal theory is that, like us, they are the result of a less advanced colony of the ancients, only they progressed faster than we did, either because they were established before we were or because they are less violent they managed to develop technologies faster through cooperation. Also, they didn't appear to have any sort of monetary system, something that holds back many potential technological advances because "its too expensive".

Anubis has garnered his tech from an unknown source that will either be revealed later in the season or in the movie. Although as he had one piece of Ancients' technology (the Stargate weapons from "Redemption"), I don't think its too far fetched to assume that other items of Ancients technology have fallen into his hands, although the Neural Implant from "Revelations" didnt look like an Ancients device so he may have several different sources which he is drawing his new technology from. So far he has:

Enhanced shield generators
Neural Implant
Enhanced Weapons systems
Sensors capable of detecting cloaked ships (recently developed as they had to look for atmospheric disturbances in "Last Stand" to locate Jacob's Cargo Ship so this tech may have been taken from Thor's mind)
He also has security in mind as his Mothership registered illegal ring transports, which has not been done in the past by any Goa'uld.

Well, that post turned out a little longer than originally planned.

Old Post 08-16-2002 12:31 PM
thialfi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thialfi Click here to Send thialfi a Private Message Find more posts by thialfi Add thialfi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Earth poses no threat to the system lords... the producers realised this after season one and introduced the PPT, thats the only thing standing in the way of 50 Goa'uld ships pulverising the planet.

Old Post 08-16-2002 01:27 PM