Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Off Topic > A sad day for Australia......
Pages (9): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Galen
Emperor of Atlantis

quote:
Originally posted by Venus

I know that a lot of people were killed that day, but I also know that a lot of people were killed afterwards as well, on a vengance attack, on those that were not to blame, initiated by someone who wants public execution to be televised. I know what it is to lose someone close to you, and I sympathise with both sides. I read somewhere that there are the same number of people being killed in Afghanistan everyday, as there were on the 11th Sept in NY.

How many of those people were core Taliban and Taliban soldiers? Most, close to all. Anything beyond that means you have to buy into Taliban propaganda.

quote:
I think America is giving out the wrong message to the world. That violence is the way to respond, and that the killings in Afghanistan are justified. Bush's response seems ... well, not good.

Without this type of response, two messages are going to be sent, both of which are really bad. The first is that you can commit a terrorist act against the US and get away with it. I have greviances with the US government that are way more legitimate than anything Osama can come up with. Does that mean I can start bombing buildings belonging to any level of government in the US?

The second message will become clear when the US is destroyed by terrorists due to lack of a response. Look at what happened to the Tollan this season. That's what would happen to us.

quote:
Despite what many people think of the terrorists, I still think it took a lot of courage to die for their cause.

Not really. They were fed a steady diet of propaganda about how their suffering was caused by Zionists and Zionist collaborators/states like the US. Add that to getting 70 virgins when you die for fighting these "infidels", it doesn't take much courage at all.

(I don't think they are told the next part of that where they also get 20 or 30 male virgins, too. That might be a deterent.)

quote:
I don't know why they did it, but I think it shows a lot about society, or the nature of the world in general.

Which society? Middle Eastern society (except for Israel) is very different from Western society. A common tatic used to totalitarian states is to find some group to blame for all of the current problems. The Taliban and similar groups use Zionists (Jews) for this purpose. They don't want their people to discover the real cause of their problems which are the ruling groups such as the Taliban and thus revolt. Some people will naturally become true believers and make good cannon fodder (or plane fodder in this case).

quote:
We just fire randomly at people we think might be the cause.

We know who the cause is. We are not firing randomly.

quote:
So many people have died from other things in the world, such as aids, but seeing as theres not such a clean cut edge (i.e.; evil terrorists / a disease that is on the other side of the world mostly in underdeveloped countries, starvation, etc) theres not half as much fuss.

There is a big difference between people murdering others of their own free will and a virus with no intelligence nor free will acting on a biological function.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-18-2001 03:35 AM
Galen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Galen Click here to Send Galen a Private Message Find more posts by Galen Add Galen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DEATH
I AM YOUR DOOM

harsh!!!!!!!!

galeen you rippeed her post to peices and then some and i agree with you both

but the attacks are justified and are working ans soon the talaban will be a memory and alquida will be one more notch on the rifel of the american military mechein

Old Post 11-18-2001 03:46 AM
DEATH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DEATH Click here to Send DEATH a Private Message Find more posts by DEATH Add DEATH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColJ
Jack O'Neill's De-briefer

Venus, how many civilians were killed in Afghanistan ? Do you know ? My guess would be none. The Taliban only allowed the media to see what they wanted them to see ,and we only have their word that anyone was killed. I didn't see any bodies. I saw healthy looking ppl with bandages wrapped around their heads or arms. It all looked staged to me. I think the Taliban have murdered more ppl in that country then any war could. Did you see those Afghanis praising the US and the Alliance when they were freed from the Taliban ? They were dancing in the streets !
Btw, Osama didn't attack the USA because of it's policies in the mid East. It has nothing to do with that. He just hates Americans. I saw his biography on TLC. He has hated Americans since he was a child, solely because he was neglected by his rich father, who preferred to spend his time with his American friends.
These terrorists aren't fighting for any cause. They are brainwashed in fundamentalist schools from the time they are 5 yrs old and then they go to Osama's terrorist training camps and get more brainwashing. They need to be terminated. That is the only way. The US and it's allies are the only ones who can do it , and they will do it with no civilian deaths, if possible.

Old Post 11-18-2001 04:59 AM
ColJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ColJ Click here to Send ColJ a Private Message Find more posts by ColJ Add ColJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DEATH
I AM YOUR DOOM

sorry i dont agree there is no way a war can be fought without civilian casualties it is apsalutly imposable

but the taliban are increasing the civilian casualties by putting aint aircraft guns on top of civilian houses and in the middle of slums, they new they couldnt win so they were fighting a PR war where the werse america looked the beter(the media was its only efective weapon)

oh and the reason that alquida exists is because of the CIA they trained osama bin laden to fight the russians in the mid 70's when they were attacking afganistan(and like lots of things they do i jumped up and bit them in the ass) they trained them, gave them wepons,tought them how to be better fighters than they already were

in the last 200 years england,russer,and even the northern aliance have attacked and have all been defeated more than once (just 5 years ago the northern aliancce was driven out of kabul)

afgans know how to fight a gorilla war so dont think that this is over just cause kabul is under raps

and there is my 1100 cents worth(a cent for each caricter)

and SUSSEX to you

Old Post 11-18-2001 07:38 AM
DEATH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DEATH Click here to Send DEATH a Private Message Find more posts by DEATH Add DEATH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DEATH
I AM YOUR DOOM

and a bad guesser

Old Post 11-18-2001 07:59 AM
ColJ
Jack O'Neill's De-briefer

Ok, if there's thousands of civilians lying around deader then doornails, show me the bodies. Come on, you must have seen them. Where are they ? They must be starting to stink by now. They haven't shown alot of grave digging activity.

Old Post 11-18-2001 08:28 AM
ColJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ColJ Click here to Send ColJ a Private Message Find more posts by ColJ Add ColJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

Think about this. If the taliban are cave-dwelling primitives, and they are able to censor the media, brainwash entire nations, and terrorise cultures.... just what can the American super-power do?
"Consider the possibility." - O'neill, Enemies.

Old Post 11-18-2001 09:34 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

They say around 1 to two thousand, i reckon its one tenth that figure,150 at most, (civilian that is), They said when the northern alliance took Kabul, the infidels bombed the city and slaughtered thousands of residents, I just looked at that ambassador in pakistan and laughed,the man talks so much bullshit its unbelieveable. The taliban has killed alot more of its own people everday through starvation or actively screwing them over..ie women.
Does anyone think theres another way...diplomacy perhaps?
I know, lets go over there, and talk with them! hey mr Omar, why are you harbouring that bad bad terrorist and his 10,000 henchmen?
Omar:' Because he is a close personal friend, we have lots of family connections, and i support his cause.
'Right, urm, you wouldnt mind turning him over old chap?'
Omar:' screw you..oh, but for public consumption..ill just make it sound like youre bullying me, and make some excuses and give you the option that I know you cannot take of a muslim nation trying him!..yeah, that way it sounds like i was giving in but the infidels wanted to destroy this paradise regime.'
As for religiously biased post...please, in all the mellee about osama, people might actually thing the taliban are half decent, when you hear Omar talking about the plan to destroy Zionist infidels of America... you just gotta wonder...no you dont, you gotta go in there and put a bullet in the wankers head.

Old Post 11-18-2001 09:35 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

Old Post 11-18-2001 10:12 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DEATH
I AM YOUR DOOM

LOL
and to the extreem

Old Post 11-18-2001 10:41 AM
Venus

OK, in response....

quote:
Originally posted by Galen
How many of those people were core Taliban and Taliban soldiers? Most, close to all. Anything beyond that means you have to buy into Taliban propaganda.

Are you serious? I'm not entirely sure whether you're talking about the 11th or the attacks on Afghanistan, but if you're talking about the latter, then I'm very surprised. Are you trying to tell me that for the past few weeks that the US (and co, just can't be bothered write that out every time) have been bombing Afghanistan, there have been hardly any casualties?! Not that I think I need proof, but did you not hear about that hospital that was hit? Which I remember hearing US confirmation of?

quote:
Without this type of response, two messages are going to be sent, both of which are really bad. The first is that you can commit a terrorist act against the US and get away with it. I have greviances with the US government that are way more legitimate than anything Osama can come up with. Does that mean I can start bombing buildings belonging to any level of government in the US?

I didn't say not to do anything about it, I think something should be done, but not what is being done, if you get what I mean. I agree that the plane hijacks shouldn't have been... hijacked, etc, and on that same ground, I don't think that any human should take another's life, and I see very little difference between what happened on the 11th in NY, and what has happened in Afghanistan in response.

quote:
The second message will become clear when the US is destroyed by terrorists due to lack of a response. Look at what happened to the Tollan this season. That's what would happen to us.

I don't see the similarity. There had been no actual attacks on Tollana, the goa'uld are not terrorists, they are not even human, which mght bring in the possibility of different cognition, views, etc. The US would not have been destroyed by terrorists, even if they hadn't declared war. I doubt the terrorists would have continued to an extreme, (i.e. hitting 10 more targates at least), and in any case, that would not have detroyed the nation; there was worse damage done to nations in the world wars, which still survive.

quote:
Not really. They were fed a steady diet of propaganda about how their suffering was caused by Zionists and Zionist collaborators/states like the US. Add that to getting 70 virgins when you die for fighting these "infidels", it doesn't take much courage at all.

And you don't think there's an propaganda in this war, on both sides? Those people were still human, however strong their faith was, and people seem to forget that. I imagine that the people bombing Afghanistan, and those that hijacked the plane probably have similar views; justified killing, perhaps even that they'll be forgiven for it spiritually.

quote:
We know who the cause is. We are not firing randomly.

What is the cause? It seems to me the US is firing at the country in general; like they even have any idea of Laden's whereabouts. If they're doing it to overthrow the Taliban, why didn;t they take the capital before NA troops arrived?

quote:
There is a big difference between people murdering others of their own free will and a virus with no intelligence nor free will acting on a biological function.

I agree theres a difference, but the end aim is the same; to save human lives. Other problems, such as aids, or whatever, have been around longer, and kill far more people.

Old Post 11-18-2001 03:44 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

And in response to ColJ...

quote:
Originally posted by ColJ
Venus, how many civilians were killed in Afghanistan ? Do you know ? ... I think the Taliban have murdered more ppl in that country then any war could.

Read my first repsonse to Galen.

quote:
I saw his biography on TLC.

'cos that wouldn't be biased....

quote:
they go to Osama's terrorist training camps and get more brainwashing. They need to be terminated. That is the only way. The US and it's allies are the only ones who can do it , and they will do it with no civilian deaths, if possible.

'terminated'?! These are still humans we're talking about. What gives us the right to take life? But then we might as well debate the whole abortion issue as well... Why should the US be allowed to do it? Who made them God?! And hello, look at who's leading the nation!!

btw, theres a whole load of links here you might wanna look at... http://www.zmag.org/ZNET.htm

And ColJ, in reponse to your post with the smiley, there's no need to get so agitated, everyone's entitled to their opinion. And I have no idea what you mean. When has any news coverage shown grave digging?! Have you not heard of privacy? I totally don't know what you mean. But I'm sure it's right with the footage of some of the ruins of what used to be called civilisation in Afghanistan, which has now been demolished by US bombings.

And Goa'uld, if you were referring to me ... No chance, you'd have to dig a lot deeper....

Last edited by Venus on 11-18-2001 at 04:04 PM

Old Post 11-18-2001 03:59 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

ok, in different countries news items would be edited for proporganda stuff.

The Taliban would show pictures of people getting killed and injured, most of them billed as "helpless"... while the US and UK, etc will show Taliban soldiers gettin killed and people rejoicing in the streets.

I'm not saying civvys have been killed (cos i don't know if they have or not)... but i would have thought that some would have in the bombings...

Old Post 11-18-2001 05:53 PM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Galen
Emperor of Atlantis

quote:
Originally posted by Venus
OK, in response....

Are you serious? I'm not entirely sure whether you're talking about the 11th or the attacks on Afghanistan, but if you're talking about the latter, then I'm very surprised. Are you trying to tell me that for the past few weeks that the US (and co, just can't be bothered write that out every time) have been bombing Afghanistan, there have been hardly any casualties?! Not that I think I need proof, but did you not hear about that hospital that was hit? Which I remember hearing US confirmation of?

What I am claiming is that there are hardly any civilian casualties in Afghanistan. Something like 10 civilians have been killed. This is terrible, but there deaths will have meaning when the Taliban is destroyed and many more people are saved. The rest have been Taliban soldiers which is the way it should be that soldiers should be killed and not civilians.

quote:

I didn't say not to do anything about it, I think something should be done, but not what is being done, if you get what I mean. I agree that the plane hijacks shouldn't have been... hijacked, etc, and on that same ground, I don't think that any human should take another's life, and I see very little difference between what happened on the 11th in NY, and what has happened in Afghanistan in response.

The difference is that they murdered civilians. We are killing soldiers.

My point is that capitulating to terrorists just leads to more acts of terror since the message is sent that if you want something all you need to do is murder enough people.

quote:
I don't see the similarity. There had been no actual attacks on Tollana, the goa'uld are not terrorists, they are not even human, which mght bring in the possibility of different cognition, views, etc. The US would not have been destroyed by terrorists, even if they hadn't declared war. I doubt the terrorists would have continued to an extreme, (i.e. hitting 10 more targates at least), and in any case, that would not have detroyed the nation; there was worse damage done to nations in the world wars, which still survive.

Actually, there had been at least three attacks, first by Heur'ur, second by Zipcana, and third by Tanith and the mystery Gou'ald.

After repeated attacks by terrorists Tollana was eventually destroyed like the US would be. (The Gou'ald are terrorists. They are only as legitimate as the Taliban.) For a real world example look at Lebanon. Lebanon was destroyed by negotiating with terrorists (specifically the PLO).

quote:
And you don't think there's an propaganda in this war, on both sides? Those people were still human, however strong their faith was, and people seem to forget that. I imagine that the people bombing Afghanistan, and those that hijacked the plane probably have similar views; justified killing, perhaps even that they'll be forgiven for it spiritually.

Seriously, I don't. Anybody who tries to show that Israeli/Zionist/Jewish propaganda exists end up falling back on some version of either Zionist conspiracy, International Zionist conspiracy, the book The Secret Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion, International Zionist bankers, etc.

I took a look at that zmag link of yours and they were guilty of this although they seemed to avoid the exact words of Zionist conspiracy. As a side point they also reference indymedia.org which was known for making stuff up during the anti-globalization protests so I am not inclined to believe them.

quote:
What is the cause? It seems to me the US is firing at the country in general; like they even have any idea of Laden's whereabouts. If they're doing it to overthrow the Taliban, why didn;t they take the capital before NA troops arrived?

We're firing at Taliban soldiers. The Taliban refused to extradite a known criminal.

As for why we didn't take Kabul, in theory (and those two words are important) the US is not an imperialist power. This war is not the conquest of Afghanistan.

quote:
I agree theres a difference, but the end aim is the same; to save human lives. Other problems, such as aids, or whatever, have been around longer, and kill far more people.

There are important differences. Governments exist to deal with external forces threatening their citizens. They don't exist to airlift drugs that can't even cure a disease yet to people are aren't citizens of the country it governs. Any action that would seriously curtail of stop the spread of aids would be correctly declared imperialist. The difference being that governments have the authority to deal with terrorists, but not run countries where they are not accepted by the people there.

Old Post 11-18-2001 06:33 PM
Galen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Galen Click here to Send Galen a Private Message Find more posts by Galen Add Galen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Once again, in response....

quote:
What I am claiming is that there are hardly any civilian casualties in Afghanistan. Something like 10 civilians have been killed. This is terrible, but there deaths will have meaning when the Taliban is destroyed and many more people are saved.

So, theoretically, if you were to turn that around the other way, you think that if the Taliban are deposed/Laden is caught, then the deaths of the 11th will have meaning?

quote:
The rest [killed] have been Taliban soldiers which is the way it should be that soldiers should be killed and not civilians. The difference is that they murdered civilians. We are killing soldiers.

And you think that if the planes had crashed into barracks, and killed American soldiers, that would make it all different? Because they're not civilians?

quote:
the message is sent that if you want something all you need to do is murder enough people.

Well, I think this is the message being sent out by the Americans. And y'know... Gandhi?

quote:
Actually, there had been at least three attacks, first by Heur'ur, second by Zipcana, and third by Tanith and the mystery Gou'ald. After repeated attacks by terrorists Tollana was eventually destroyed like the US would be. (The Gou'ald are terrorists. They are only as legitimate as the Taliban.) For a real world example look at Lebanon. Lebanon was destroyed by negotiating with terrorists (specifically the PLO).

Well, they were at war with the Goa'uld. It was in the Goa'uld's own interest to stay away from Tollana. I don't think it was repeated attacks of terrorism. They were acts of war, and by totally different 'people'. You can't class the Goa'uld as the same 'force' simply because they are the same species. And besides, I don't think that Heru'Ur was attacking Tollana he was attacking (on the assumption that everyone reading this has seen Pretense, I'm not goon put it in spoiler space), Klorel.

quote:
I took a look at that zmag link ... As a side point they also reference indymedia.org which was known for making stuff up during the anti-globalization protests so I am not inclined to believe them.

Well, I think that everyone makes stuff up to suit their needs, not least of all the Americans and the Afghans.

quote:
We're firing at Taliban soldiers.

I totally disagree. What if the soldiers didn't agree with the governement? And I disagree with that the US are aiming at soldiers. I think they're aiming at the country.

quote:
This war is not the conquest of Afghanistan.

It's to unseat the Taliban isn't it? (Which I'm pretty sure the Americans supported at one point). Surely they could go into the capital, and hold it until the Taliban are gone? For 'protection'?

quote:
The difference being that governments have the authority to deal with terrorists, but not run countries where they are not accepted by the people there.

Well, I disagree with that too. In that case, no government (or army) has the right to leave their country. I think, as beings of this world (wow, how spiritual do I sound!) we have an obligation to help the entire globe, however we can. Otherwise, why give money to charity? On the assumption that it will only go to research which will help only our own country?! If there's the possibility to do some good, there's no excuse not to.

Last edited by Venus on 11-18-2001 at 08:45 PM

Old Post 11-18-2001 08:43 PM