Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Unas and Goa'uld origins
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Interesting, somewhat sounds like what Daniel says in the film!! Ra found a race of beings that could live longer, prolong his life.

Ra, an Asgard looking thing like people point out so much, found these people that were doing this with the Goa'uld. I think I got my mind around that.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 03-27-2002 10:38 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

quote:
Originally posted by president doc
yet these very scientists couldnt create disease free or earlier versions of their bodies?!
I don't know, perhaps there was an issue with an aspect of their own DNA that was succeptible to a virus, so they create a species capable of carrying memories/personality that is not succeptible to the virus.

Old Post 03-27-2002 10:40 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

And with all their ingenuity, they came up with a bloody snake with a brain the size of a pea?!
the brain would need remarkable engineering, and they were too crap to make a decent body...

Old Post 03-27-2002 10:43 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

The brain may be the length of the entire snake, or memories may not even be stored in the brain, why assign earth traits to such a creature anyhow, I have work in the morning, I need some more paracetomol and sleep. Seeyas tomorrow.

Old Post 03-27-2002 10:45 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zaq

I'm no Goa'uld expert but I thought they + unas originated on the same planet. Fossil's were found there.

My thoughts are:

If a race were advanced enough to engineer a new species of "snake" with all there nifty features why would you put yourself on a dumb planet like the Unas planet. Any why are there still Goa'uld snakes still living there if they were so highly intelligent and advanced, wouldn't they have moved on yet and taken hosts also. I mean if Goa'uld snakes live a long timr then the snakes still on the planet have been there a very, very long time.

The unas were the "First Ones" so I'm guessing they were the first ones used as hosts. I'm also guessing that even though Goa'uld snakes are very unsual and have many strange ability that they originated on the Unas planet. Some took Unas hosts, they somehow learned to use the stargate, even by accidently pressing a correct symbol combo in. They then started asorbing knowledge + power by taking other hosts.

In one episode "I think Thor's hammer" someone said that in the beginning Goa'uld unas were few but ruled millions.

Something that doesn't really fit in is: In the movie Ra's race was dying but I'm guessing they were highly advaned by this time ie probably had spacecraft + nifty goa'uld gadgets. So he took a human host to survive. So was he a unas at the time. If so why were they dying since the Unas in Thor's hammer lived forever without a sarc......

I have no idea really. Just some thoughts and many unanswered questions.

Cheers Zaq :)

Old Post 03-27-2002 11:59 PM
Zaq is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zaq Click here to Send Zaq a Private Message Find more posts by Zaq Add Zaq to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

I think it would make a great plot twist to stargate if we found out that the Aasgard (or similar) genetically engineered the Goa`uld thousands of years ago, to make them what they are. It would then make it look the Aasgard are rather trying to cover up their mistake, than fight for no apparent reason.

Old Post 03-28-2002 12:33 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

SPOILER FOR SEASON 5: REVELATIONS

Well, we do know that the Asgard Clone themselves, so maybe one of their early experiments was the Goa'uld, maybe they put the Goa'uld and Unas on a planet to watch and see what happened, or something like that.

Old Post 03-28-2002 01:07 AM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

So if you went into the south american rainforests and came across a group of cave dwellers that have little or no contact with the rest of humanity, or for that matter, go to the motherland (africa ) and see some tribal people, again with little contact with the rest of the modern world, you'd assume that mankind must have been genetically engineered simply because there exists a great divide in the technological and knowledge base of the two peoples?!
Remember, we saw a few CGI Goa'uld in a pond, on a planet barely explored by SG1, how can we even begin to draw conclusions?

Old Post 03-28-2002 08:26 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Prez, we were never talking about technology, but physiology.

The people of that primitive South American tribe or the African tribe untainted by the modern world are still as human as any ol' cellphone-yacking American. You cut the tribesman?he still bleeds red just as much as any Yank will. Between the African villager and yours truly typing at a computer, we die from the same poisons, starve for the same foods, gasp for the same air, despite whatever technologies separate us.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 03-28-2002 08:59 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam K
Ice Queen

I'm going to have to agree with Zaq on this one.

There is no reason to believe the snakes were engineered by anyone. It's within the realm of possiblity (or at least the realm of 'suspension of disbelief') that the snakes and the Unas evolved on the same planet.

While one of them branched in one direction, crawling out of the water and becoming bipedal, the other stayed in the water and remained snake-like. Why evolve beyond your basic needs for your environment?

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the minds of the snakes didn't continue to grow and develop. We are talking millions of years of evolution here, for both 'races' of beings. And since the snakes don't seem to be burdened with issues of survival (being very long lived - which is a whole 'nother debate ), more's the chance for their minds to evolve beyond the level of what the Unas had reached by this point, and for the psychic energy to have pushed them ahead. Perhaps they were originally a hive-mind in their extremely primitive days.

Now, we have to wonder what made the first snake decide to jump out of the water, but for all we know, it was simply a fortuitous accident. Or done out of necessity, if a snake found itself out of its natural habitat (through a drought, perhaps), and simply crawled into the mouth of the nearest sleeping Unas to keep itself warm/moist.

And once this began to happen more and more, they realized there was a whole new world out there for them. But I don't think the ones currently still in the water on the planet would jump out and immediately proclaim themselves "gods". Yes, they immediately were bad guys once they'd entered a host, but that is probably their survival instinct kicking in.

And thus ends my longest post ever, here.

Old Post 03-29-2002 04:18 PM
Sam K is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam K Click here to Send Sam K a Private Message Visit Sam K's homepage! Find more posts by Sam K Add Sam K to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

The Goa'uld as snake cannot be something that evovlved, as with their very long life span, you have one generation every how many thousand years, and the key to evolution is rapid succession of generation. The Goa'uld were either genetically engineered or have short lives outside a host.

Old Post 03-30-2002 08:08 PM
president doc

What evidence is there that the snake you saw in that pond is any different to Apophis or Yu?!

Old Post 03-30-2002 09:21 PM
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

No evidence, I just don't think that the features observed in Goa'uld are anything natural, the race reeks of Genetic Engineering.

Old Post 03-30-2002 11:27 PM
Sam K
Ice Queen

quote:
Originally posted by Bose-Einstein
The Goa'uld as snake cannot be something that evovlved, as with their very long life span, you have one generation every how many thousand years, and the key to evolution is rapid succession of generation. The Goa'uld were either genetically engineered or have short lives outside a host.
What exactly is the connection you are making between long life span, and reproductive capability?

Old Post 03-31-2002 04:34 AM
Sam K is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam K Click here to Send Sam K a Private Message Visit Sam K's homepage! Find more posts by Sam K Add Sam K to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

If natural evolution was occurring with the advancement of the Goa'uld species, the combined effect of prolific reproduction and quasi-eternal life would create a massive divergence of the species as time went on. If a new strain evolved from the previous Goa'uld incarnations, there is that problem that the preceding generation would still exist as the new, more evolved form flourished themselves. There would then arise many cases of parallel evolution among Goa'uld strains. There would, in fact, be no one species of Goa'uld, but hundreds, perhaps thousands, of differing sub-species.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 03-31-2002 05:17 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote