Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Shadow Play Discussed -- SPOILERS
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CynVision
SF TV kid

quote:
Originally posted by Captn Carter
Jonas is squeamish, and I think makes him a liability to the rest of the Team. Could he really shoot someone to defend the rest of the team when push came to shove?
Daniel was the same way for four seasons. He just had the a M-9 for ages. I think Deathbunny will jump in soon saying its all a matter of training. You don't let someone handle weapons they're not prepped for. So it must have been easy to get Jonas up to speed with the intar. Maybe it will just cheeze off a Goa'uld, but it gives J man time to run and get the people with the real hardware.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 08-01-2002 04:21 PM
CynVision is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CynVision Click here to Send CynVision a Private Message Visit CynVision's homepage! Find more posts by CynVision Add CynVision to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

Sure I might've said that...

...Did anyone notice that in COTG, Daniel only had a knife?

In the movie, he uses a pistol (as does Sha... spelling this AM?) but his first mission to Chulak is sans gun...

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 08-01-2002 05:41 PM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

Nug wrote:

quote:
I've often been told, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. And this concludes nug's review of Shadow Play.

But Nug, where's the fun in that? Go ahead, be snarky!

Old Post 08-02-2002 02:54 AM
JoJo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoJo Click here to Send JoJo a Private Message Visit JoJo's homepage! Find more posts by JoJo Add JoJo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

I bet after that encounter with the Tok'ra where Sam had to kill Martouf with a zat gun, they probably decided that they would use less lethal weapons in diplomatic situations - so that's the reason for the N'tars.

Old Post 08-02-2002 04:06 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tiger

Glad someone else saw the Itar. I was think What up with that. Interesting theories all, but certainly should be explained a little to the viewing audience. definitely the weakest of the season and a poor follow-up to last weeks ep.

Jonas is still in search of character. Ok he is suposed to be smart. But he was way too smart in Nightwalkers, he was ok in Abyss. Here, it seems it should hvae been emotionally difficult for him, but I never had the sense he was in a really bad way. I never really felt for the guy. A bit at the end with the Dr. Nash of kelowna, but even then.

Why would earth send SG1 to negotiate anything? There are professionals who are a darn site better than those 4. They were aweful.... (as negotiators).

The hair....yeah I noticed too. TR changes hers quite a bit, but it always looks good. Definitely a bad hair show for the ladies.

Overall IMHO the whole thing was weak. I was hoping the resistance was actually the emeny and the Dr was just really gullable and Jonas would save the day...however... they opted for the Beautiful Mind thing.

There seemed to be a lot of lose ends or comments the Kelownans should not have had the knowledge to make. They seemed very aware of earth weapons and capabilities. perhaps this was a result of the first visit in meridan. there were talks going on at that time, and let's face it, negotiations were not the main plot of that show.

Anyway, poor vehicle for Jonas. I would like to see some off world, heavy team against the odds action. Jonas needs that and some of the little quips that used to be shared by Daniel and Sam and Daniel and Teal'c need to be developed. I am ok with jack not being fond of him (yet). I do think the character is too American. he seems exceedingly well integrated (speech patterns and all) in American way of life.

Old Post 08-02-2002 06:32 PM
Tiger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tiger Click here to Send Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by Tiger Add Tiger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Captn Carter
So I can do this....

Just about being integrated on American ways and words, Jack told Jonas the Doc guy had schizophrenia... in the words of Danny from Thor's Chariot, 'That's an earth term, we havta depticit it somehow'

Should Jonas just automactically presume to know what it is? I find it hard to believe his, or any planet for that matter, would have the same words for the same things.. the whole 'they all came from Earth so they all speak English' is rediculous. How many different lauguages are on just Earth alone?

For a little bit of Aussie with your Sci-fi
Austr-alien.com

Old Post 08-03-2002 07:46 AM
Captn Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Captn Carter Click here to Send Captn Carter a Private Message Visit Captn Carter's homepage! Find more posts by Captn Carter Add Captn Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Actually, this is one of gates HUGE flaws... you really cant explain how savages from the Mongol planet can speak english aswell as virtually every other race, be they alien or human encountered.
Do peasents and SG1 have universal translators? ... and then again it would get boring having the translation malarky with Daniel Jacksons learning a new language and having hassles understanding everything everywhere they went.... I hope they explain this one day... maybe indicate that SG1 and everyone in the SGC that comes into contact with aliens have been given little alien devices to aid communication, or babel fishes in their ears

Last edited by president doc on 08-03-2002 at 10:31 AM

Old Post 08-03-2002 10:28 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Capt Carter, he read up a lot on Earth culture, watched tv (I presume he must have watched something other than the weather channel) and read up on Dr. Jackson's notes so he would know a lot of Earth terms.

The whole Aliens speaking English thing is debated and talked about here

And Pressie, the plural of fish is fish

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 08-03-2002 10:39 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

a humbling episode for the SGC. exposes them for te hypocrits they are.

i felt for Jonas. the choices he's had to make (as he spoke about with teal'c - nice touch). Seeing his mentor in that state - then discovering he's been like that for the last 20 yeas... would make you wonder what you've really been doing that entire time... what else has he said that wasn't the truth? would hatter your whole belief syste. who would you trust?

Old Post 08-04-2002 05:52 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

yeah the traitor dialogue between jonas and teal'c was nice.

Old Post 08-04-2002 06:51 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

quote:
Originally posted by Kamakazi Casper

And Pressie, the plural of fish is fish

sigh, in the last day, ive had about 50 corrections over the net... it must be all the 2-3 am mornings.

Old Post 08-04-2002 09:48 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
itssoLARGE

The only thing this episode did (at least for me) was remind me that Jonas isn't just a normal person from Earth. But he carries a lot of baggage and is more of a Teal'c/Daniel type of character. He has the same emotional ties to his own people but the logic and rationale of Daniel. Still not as good as Daniel though ;P

Old Post 08-14-2002 07:37 PM
itssoLARGE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for itssoLARGE Click here to Send itssoLARGE a Private Message Find more posts by itssoLARGE Add itssoLARGE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tina_als_girl
Calavicci's Girl

I agree with the whole knowing certain Earth-based terms. For the schizophrenia part, I think Jonas has probably absorbed several of our humongous medical books we have here on Earth. That could be why he seemed to know what the illness was.

The thing that got ME was the use of the word "coup". That's a totally French word. I can buy Jonas knowing it, simply because he's teaching himself all about Earth.... but how the heck would Dr. Kieran know what "coup" stands for?

Joy

Old Post 08-24-2002 03:55 AM
tina_als_girl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tina_als_girl Click here to Send tina_als_girl a Private Message Visit tina_als_girl's homepage! Find more posts by tina_als_girl Add tina_als_girl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by tina_als_girl
I agree with the whole knowing certain Earth-based terms. For the schizophrenia part, I think Jonas has probably absorbed several of our humongous medical books we have here on Earth. That could be why he seemed to know what the illness was.

Also, if he's read all of DJ's notes, then he's read about that Machello incident, where Daniel was thought to have Schizophrenia... Assuming Daniel made notes on that.

Old Post 09-30-2002 10:40 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul C

Just aired in UK so will add my review.

Shadowplay (**)

Shadowplay is like a couple of other episodes this year, being slow and also not really working on what could have been a good premise. The episode should have been a show piece for the new character of Jonas Quinn, giving us lots of information about him and a lot more on his planet. However it does little of anything. The Jonas back-story is pretty light and hints that he may be different from his other people in someway, but doesn't delve very deep. The back-story of his planet is fleshed out more and seems to consist of little more than wars between the three nations. The episode moves very slowly and has no pay offs or any major twists or turns, it just consists of political wrangling between the Kelownan's and SG-1. There was however a few things that do IMO need a follow up. The Kelownan's could be a useful ally and so could the other powers, however they are now likely at war. The Goa'uld may also come because the Kelownan?s have been using Naquadria (as mentioned by Jonas) and it would certainly be interesting too see a follow up after the powers have been at war and the Goa'uld are attacking.

What did I notice that was good or bad? The Jonas/Teal'c talk at the start was excellent. These scenes have been numerous and have helped both characters grow, they have also always been very well written and acted. Corin Nemec gives a good performance here and I wish he had more material as he definetly can act. Onto the bad. Why could SG-1 walk around Kelowna with weapons and no guards? This seemed a very strange situation. The production design in the episode was also very strangely below par. Dean Stockwell's character wore a shirt and tie! They really could have been more inventive than this, I half expected too see him also carrying a lunch box and briefcase.

I am struggling to write about this episode, there really was not a lot to go on! Overall then it contained little humour and was a slow political story with a small amount of back-story and Jonas development but not a lot. A couple of things that were mentioned could make far more interesting episodes than this. Let?s hope this season starts to pick up soon as it?s been pretty slow so far.

Full review & synopsis on my site. You can also now rate the episodes either from the episode rating section or for season 6 episodes, via their own episode page.

Old Post 10-31-2002 09:59 PM
Paul C is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul C Click here to Send Paul C a Private Message Visit Paul C's homepage! Find more posts by Paul C Add Paul C to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote