Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > How does the eighth chevron work? (minor spoiler for The Fifth Race)
Pages (10): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

The gate is round and therefore has something to do with circular reasoning.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 10-29-2002 06:48 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duke Enmes?rr
Renegade Serpent Guard!

enough about the circle k?
The eighth chevron in my waked up theorism is just another level of access and you just put it maybe before the seven other corrdinates and bingo you are diected to the next level of stargates. into a whole new set of planets in a whole new set of galaxies. probably eight galaxies in total. thats my theory.

P.S Please be soft with the torture

Old Post 10-29-2002 06:52 AM
Duke Enmes?rr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duke Enmes?rr Click here to Send Duke Enmes?rr a Private Message Find more posts by Duke Enmes?rr Add Duke Enmes?rr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

eight galaxies in total? what r u whacked?

Old Post 10-29-2002 06:54 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duke Enmes?rr
Renegade Serpent Guard!

maybe not only eight (could be 39) but the point is its a level changer.

Old Post 10-29-2002 07:17 AM
Duke Enmes?rr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duke Enmes?rr Click here to Send Duke Enmes?rr a Private Message Find more posts by Duke Enmes?rr Add Duke Enmes?rr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fenrir

Re: I've solved it!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Jonas
In the movie Daniel identify the glyphs as constellations - this is fact (that he identified them, not that it is true).

In the whole series can anyone remember this 'fact' being proven? I'm serious, has Tok'ra, Asgard, or anyone ever confirmed this finding? I don't believe so.

umm yep its been not so much proven as backed up, on a couple of ocasions sam has described how the adresses that the sgc explore are in fact calculated by taking the adresses on the abydoss cartouche and adjusting for stellar drift, indicating that the glyphs represent stationary (in the absolute sense) points in space, and that a stargate will move from one address to another as the system it is in follows the galactic rotation.

Quick question, what happens when everything rotates out of the co-ordinate space of the glyphs? (yeah i know how long it would take)

Old Post 10-29-2002 10:16 AM
Fenrir is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fenrir Click here to Send Fenrir a Private Message Visit Fenrir's homepage! Find more posts by Fenrir Add Fenrir to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

I think the Stargate is a circle because of the physics used to control a stable wormhole. By forcing the gate's energy discharge into a circle, the energy is forced to discharge forwards and backwards; by various magical methods, most of the energy explodes backwards, forming the wormhole.

As for why the eighth chevron needs more energy, that's simpler. In the seven-chevron range of the Stargate, the standard energy input is sufficient to fold space and create the wormhole at any seven-chevron address. With an eight-chevron address, more energy is needed because the spatial distance is further. Once the wormhole is formed, then the two points are connected anyway; it just takes more energy to reach some than others.

I don't think the DHD is capable of supplying the power needed to reach an eight-chevron address, or at least can't do so without gimmicking.

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 10-29-2002 10:20 AM
TheOneKEA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOneKEA Click here to Send TheOneKEA a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneKEA Add TheOneKEA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Spatial distance means nothing for a wormhole that tunnels through extramdimensional space.

Old Post 10-29-2002 10:43 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

quote:
So the standard 7 chevron dial would result in 137 000 million addresses (39^7 = 137 231 006 679 addresses). Which would be enough for our immediate surrounds.

It would only dial that many addresses if each cheveron could be used more than once. But, unlike telephone numbers (and if what Daniel said in the movie holds), they can't. Also, the last glyph is always the same meaning there are 2,349,088,560 possable address with seven cheverons and 77,519,922,480 with eight.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 10-29-2002 11:12 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Barry
A big honking space gun!

Answer: There isn`t one. Unless the writers decide to come up with something which science buffs will rip to shreads.

Old Post 10-29-2002 05:16 PM
Barry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barry Click here to Send Barry a Private Message Find more posts by Barry Add Barry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonas

quote:
Originally posted by Duke Enmes?rr?
maybe not only eight (could be 39) but the point is its a level changer.
Probably correct.

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir
...backed up, on a couple of ocasions sam has described how the adresses that the sgc explore are in fact calculated by taking the adresses on the abydoss cartouche and adjusting for stellar drift...
Good point, however my theory still fits with this fact. You are still assuming Sam/Daniel are correct in what they think; the gate needs 6 points in 3D space and the glyphs represent stars/constellations.

I've proposed that this isn't the case. Yet still planets do stellar shift all over the place so things still need to be adjusted for as the planets are no longer where the DHD thinks they are. A bit like a telephone redirection when you move; I dial your old number, but some computer takes over and directs me to your new place.

quote:
Originally posted by Kamakazi Casper
It would only dial that many addresses if each cheveron could be used more than once.... there are 2,349,088,560 possable address with seven cheverons and 77,519,922,480 with eight.
Oh I knew my maths would be out. Not to be argumentative but has it been shown that glyphs cannot be used more than once? Or is this is gatetravel 101? But in any case the numbers are still quite large.

Old Post 10-29-2002 06:59 PM
Jonas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonas Click here to Send Jonas a Private Message Find more posts by Jonas Add Jonas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

Kamakazi is right. In order to get the six points needed to chart a 3-D x,y,z intersection, each point would have to be unique. Otherwise the x,y,z intersect would be wrong and the gate would report an -ENOGATE.

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 10-29-2002 11:22 PM
TheOneKEA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOneKEA Click here to Send TheOneKEA a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneKEA Add TheOneKEA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

This is to TheOneKEA:

quote:
Originally posted by Lord ?okar
What I don't get is why the gate would need any more power to travel greater distance. The whole point of a wormhole is that the energy needed to cross space is not relative to the amount of space to be traversed. You could go next door, you could go to another galaxy at the same expense of energy and time.

Old Post 10-30-2002 12:45 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonas

quote:
Originally posted by TheOneKEA
Kamakazi is right. In order to get the six points needed to chart a 3-D x,y,z intersection, each point would have to be unique. Otherwise the x,y,z intersect would be wrong and the gate would report an -ENOGATE.

This is still assuming the points are objects in space (planets, stars, whatever). I have proposed that they are nothing more than a reference for the DHD **COMPUTER**, in which case it would be possible to enter the same symbol more than once.

As for the extra power, well perhaps the gate's internal computer (for want of a better word) needs the extra CALCULATING power.

Old Post 10-30-2002 02:14 AM
Jonas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonas Click here to Send Jonas a Private Message Find more posts by Jonas Add Jonas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
needs the extra CALCULATING power.
No. If as you say the symbols represent not objects but just calcuable figures, then it would require no extra energy to calculate as location. Or if it did it would be minute, not enough to down the entire SGC.

Hell our Earth computers can calculate the location of an object that far away using cartesian axes, not this stupid 6 points thing, with no greater expense of energy.

Old Post 10-30-2002 04:15 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

maybe its to bypass the security measures in place to prevent incorrect dialing of an extra glyph, so that you're not transported somewhere you dont want to be....

dial 8 glyphs on a normal DHD, no joy, please try again.
dial 8 gylphs with a superchared dhd, bypass preventative measure by energy signature, zoom to the outer rim. Means you have to make sure thats where you want to go.

Old Post 10-30-2002 04:37 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote