Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > newbie question about go'uld and hosts??
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
markymarc

Unhappy newbie question about go'uld and hosts??

hi, i'm new. just started watching sg-1 about a month ago.
cool show.

anyway, when the go'uld take over the human hosts bodies, do they *completly* take over the hosts or is it like a joint equal thing like the trills on *that other* show??

I also read that their are "nice" go'uld that help the team and these guys share equally with their hosts?? so is this sort of like a trill sybiotic relationship?? do the hosts have a say on what goes on (like if the host says, "I want to eat some ice cream now", will the go'uld let him??)

And that dude thats part of the sg-1 team that has the funny thing on his head...he's a host too right?? does he have a slug inside him too?? Is this a good slug or a bad slug??

I'm just confused on how it works???

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-06-2002 01:43 AM
markymarc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markymarc Click here to Send markymarc a Private Message Find more posts by markymarc Add markymarc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

Hmm, u posted in the wrong spot but that is okay, next time post in In-Depth Discussions, but the tok'ra are the ones who share control of the body, your everyday goa'uld takes over the host, some better than others, Teal'c is a host, but to a larval Goa'uld, and the funny thing on his head is a tat signifying that he belongs to the Goa'uld named Apophis....

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 12-06-2002 at 03:12 AM

Old Post 12-06-2002 01:46 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duke Enmes?rr
Renegade Serpent Guard!

mmmm, funny thing on his head..........funny. Yes to all u said Anubis, and also the Goa'ulds (mature slugs) in their human hosts have somplete control. Unlike the sybiote in Teal'c, his one is not mature enough to realize that it can take controll of this being and use it for transpot and evil actions. The Goa'uld that make themselves look like gods have advanced abilities from the "slug". I term the Goa'uld as a 'Snake'.

Old Post 12-06-2002 02:11 AM
Duke Enmes?rr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duke Enmes?rr Click here to Send Duke Enmes?rr a Private Message Find more posts by Duke Enmes?rr Add Duke Enmes?rr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

Teal'c cannot be host to a goa'uld in the sense that he cannot actually be controlled by one, otherwise both parties would die.

Old Post 12-06-2002 02:14 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big Guns

quote:
Originally posted by _.:?nubis:._
Teal'c cannot be host to a goa'uld in the sense that he cannot actually be controlled by one, otherwise both parties would die.

I thought that one of the risks a Jaffa has if "junior" isnt removed when mature he WILL blend and take over?

Old Post 12-06-2002 02:26 AM
Big Guns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Big Guns Click here to Send Big Guns a Private Message Find more posts by Big Guns Add Big Guns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

No, the mature symbiote will be unable to maintain his immune system the same way it could when it was larval, and together the host and the symbiote will die, this is why in the eppy where they find the first world the goa'uld come from O'Neill and Carter mentioned that teal'c cannot become host to a mature goa'uld, this is also why tanith had to high tail it out of Sho'nac.

Old Post 12-06-2002 02:29 AM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

The Goa'uld, the snakelike beings who are the enemies for the show, seek to take over a human host completely. They consider humans beasts of burden, like horses or pets, which they use as their own. Their control is total and perpetual?the Goa'uld never relinquish control.

The Goa'uld offspring possess all memory given to them by their parents, so each generation follows closely along its family bloodline. There was one Goa'uld queen, named Egeria, who sought a symbiotic relationship between Goa'uld and their human hosts. Her offspring are much more "Trill-like" in that both human and symbiote communciate and commune together. These Goa'uld now called themselves the Tok'ra, the Resistance who opposed Ra (the defining and head-honch Goa'uld until he got nuked in the face in the Stargate movie).

It should be noted that the Tok'ra and humans of Earth have a close channel of communication via an "ambassador" of sorts. The father of Sam Carter (General Jacob Carter of the U.S. Air Force) almost succumbed to lymphomic cancer until he volunteered to become a host to one of the Tok'ra who was also near death. So, the Tok'ra now have an Air Force general as one of their members and several episodes revolve around how the SG-1 gang and Jacob Carter help each other out.

Teal'c, the dude with the funny thing, was once a slave and soldier to the Goa'uld armies. Such warrior slaves are called Jaffa. Jaffa are genetically modified humans who lack their own immune system, which forces them to carry a Goa'uld larva in their belly. The key Goa'uld strengths are their virtual immunity to disease, enchanced healing, and the ability to artifically extend the life of the carrier. These aspects get carried over to Jaffa as well as infested human hosts. Teal'c is resistant to most germs, can heal his wounds faster than most, and will easily live to 140 years of age (double that of the average human lifespan).

But he is still a slave, of sorts. All these strengths remain as long as he carries a larval Goa'uld. If the larva (which Jack has nicknamed "Junior") is extracted from him, Teal'c would die within hours. And when the Goa'uld symbiote is fully mature, Teal'c is going to have a hard time looking for a new one (as he has been declared a sholva, "traitor", by the Goa'uld Empire). The larva that he is carrying is one of the "bad" guys, taken from one of the Goa'uld homeworlds called Chulak. There is no chance he could ever get a "good" snake, one of the Tok'ra. Egeria, the Tok'ra queen, is dead. There will be no more new larval Tok'ra, and that is the key weakness of that force: they cannot replenish their ranks, while the other Goa'uld queens continue to breed.

The Goa'uld Empire is highly feudalistic. Rival Goa'uld lords fight with each other as often as they fight outside alien forces. One of those outsider races is known as the Asgaard, an alien race who became the revered example to the Nordic peoples and religion when they were on Earth long ago. Several key Asgaard still retain names like "Thor" and "Freyr"?Norse gods we know about today. The Asgaard, though having impersonated gods like how the Goa'uld had done, are a benevolent alien race who fought against the Goa'uld in order to keep the people of Earth free. In a fair fight, the Asgaard would have won that war, but their race is currently in a heap of trouble with an outside threat, so it's more or less a stalemate.

The stuff I've said here isn't spoiler-ish past Season 2 or 3. How far have you watched into the series?

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 12-06-2002 at 03:11 AM

Old Post 12-06-2002 03:01 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markymarc

thanks for the breakdown guys...i just started watching season 6 i believe about a month ago, and have been filling in the blanks thru websites and downloading episodes.

but it's a really cool show! And Parker Lewis is in it!!!

Old Post 12-06-2002 03:33 AM
markymarc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markymarc Click here to Send markymarc a Private Message Find more posts by markymarc Add markymarc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Barry
A big honking space gun!

'1969' Teal'c does mention that his larve would eventualy mature and take him as a host, however I believe it would do this so it could quickly jump to another because of the reasons previous posters have mentioned.

Old Post 12-07-2002 07:54 AM
Barry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barry Click here to Send Barry a Private Message Find more posts by Barry Add Barry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I thought in... That ep with Ketano, he was previously a Jaffa who'd been taken over by his symbiote?

Old Post 12-07-2002 09:41 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Venus, that was never actually stated in the show. There was debate about it someplace but I can't seem to find it. Oh well.

Markymarc, he's only in the sixth and seventh seasons (when it's made and aired that is) of the show.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 12-07-2002 10:17 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

i reckon junior's gonna go into jack cos it was said in first ep in season five, or one of them, can't remeber now...

That'll be an episode to see but prob. won't happen. junior'll take 7 years to mature but he was very young when going into teal'c...

Old Post 12-07-2002 01:03 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HerbieZ

Would'nt that hole in Teal'cs stomach get infected he looks like the human advertisement for x-box. Could someone explain the diffrences between jaffa, and just plain goa'uld cos it is really confusin, the rank thing.

Old Post 12-08-2002 07:50 PM
HerbieZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HerbieZ Click here to Send HerbieZ a Private Message Visit HerbieZ's homepage! Find more posts by HerbieZ Add HerbieZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

it's nothing to do with rank. A jaffa holds in his stomach a larval form of a goa'uld. They are not goa'uld themselves, just human incubators, kinda like kangaroos. When the goa'uld inside a jaffa 'pouch' matures (usually after seven years) the goa'uld can take over a human host. Like apophis would've spent his first seven years in the stomach of a jaffa warrior before he took a host body to control.

Old Post 12-08-2002 09:14 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

The Goa'uld larva in a Jaffa cannot control nor influence him. A Jaffa may be servant to a Goa'uld, but only through the extortion of his health and life.

When a Goa'uld is implanted in a human host, the Goa'uld takes over completely.

That belly pouch on the Jaffa is a liability, though. One favorite way a Goa'uld lord may execute a disloyal Jaffa is by reaching into the pouch and crushing the larva within, killing the Jaffa slowly and very painfully in the process.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-08-2002 09:25 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote