Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > What on earth could the Prometheus class ship.....
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MPH

What on earth could the Prometheus class ship.....

do against a Goa'uld mothership. After just seeing Unnatural Selection; the ship was so tiny against a O'Neill class Asgard ship, so what could it possibly do against a Goa'uld mothership?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-04-2002 09:06 PM
MPH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MPH Click here to Send MPH a Private Message Find more posts by MPH Add MPH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Surprise them.

Actually, I'd see it more likely being used against Goa'uld fighters, rather than a full-fledged capital ship. An Alkesh could probably give it a run for its money, but Prommie might be able to waylay and defeat a flight of Death Gliders that would not be expecting opposition.

That is, if the Prometheus doesn' have all sorts of whiz-bang gizmos and new-fangled pieces of technology pulled straight from Carter's butt. You know, the ol' Trek-style technobabble where some previously unseen device suddenly appears and gets used to save the ship at the last second.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-04-2002 09:28 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

It seems pretty big, O'neill class is about 3 times the length of the base of a mothership.
Anyway, Im sure they could sneak some alien technology aboard... I have to say, that ship cracked me up..seriously, they went from not having anything to ... bloody hell a starship with a USAF sticker on its side....

I really have to watch promethius to see how this came about, it seems really implausible to me.

Old Post 12-04-2002 09:33 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

I'd thought they take the half-completed ship from "Nightwalkers", found out how the thing worked, then finished up with that. That would have been the most plausible route into acquiring a "home-grown" starship.

Would make the "Black Hat" tactics the justified ends to some rather unscrupulous means.

Now that they have a "defensible" base technology to protect Earth from alien threat, will they reveal the Stargate program to the rest of the world? Or are we still going to play that game of "Don't worry, everbody. We meager few are all that you need in order to keep the planet safe from that very, very large army out there. Just go on wallowing in your ignorance, people of Earth..."

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-04-2002 09:44 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tok-ra Cyax
Wheres the peanut butter?

It is more than they have had before.

Remember that SG-1 has Blown up a fewMother ships without a ship "With a inch comes a mile."

Some one can quote that.

"I am trying to kick the flour thing."

Old Post 12-05-2002 02:03 AM
Tok-ra Cyax is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tok-ra Cyax Click here to Send Tok-ra Cyax a Private Message Find more posts by Tok-ra Cyax Add Tok-ra Cyax to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

the ship is only the first step. I 'd say it would be (even more so ) doubtful that the first ship they produced would be capable of at least going up against a mother ship.

they did say the ship wasn't finished. The hyperdrive wasn't even functioning during prometheus, they had to get goa'uld help. and thor pitched in to help finish it to.

Old Post 12-05-2002 03:37 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lnt.kaos
Grrrrrr!

Did the x-303/Prometheus (what's the offical name) have any weaponry?

Old Post 12-05-2002 06:29 PM
Lnt.kaos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lnt.kaos Click here to Send Lnt.kaos a Private Message Find more posts by Lnt.kaos Add Lnt.kaos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Most likely, Prommie would have to be fitted with some new vectored-thrust missile (control fins in space = nada). That, or recoilless guns.

The show will assuredly "jump the shark" if Sam and the mad scientists outfit laser, particle beams, or any other sort of energy weapon on the ship. They're pushing the boundaries of plausibility already?six years ago their guns had a hard time punching through Serpent Guard armor. Dallying for six years on foot and showing us very little advancement in technology, then revealing "Enterprise Jr." out of the blue...insulting.

Prommie is supposed to be a rough-cut, primitive crate. She better look it.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-05-2002 07:20 PM
president doc

You underestimate the USAF RH.... see, first the promethius, but thats just a project they had going as a cover for what theyre really building... you never saw any advancement as all the money for the last 7 years will have gone towards the ship thats gonna come out in the last episode ever!

685 metres long... all powerful.

However, they still wont accept O'neills suggestion for the name of the ship.

Last edited by president doc on 12-05-2002 at 07:56 PM

Old Post 12-05-2002 07:53 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MPH

I don't have a problem with them constructing the X-303 as they have had enough Goa'Uld ships to study over the years, like Cargo ships and Death Gliders. They have been gating for 6 years now so you would expect some advancement on the technology front.

Old Post 12-05-2002 08:00 PM
MPH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MPH Click here to Send MPH a Private Message Find more posts by MPH Add MPH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

we don't know how long they've been mulling this over. They could've had the project on the back-burner since the stargate COTG or even before, but when they got the tech and specs from the goa'uld and naquadria their work increased in leaps and bounds. Science before has increased our technology in such leaps before. esp. in times of war when their was a greater need.

Old Post 12-05-2002 08:24 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

quote:
Originally posted by dr.taz
we don't know how long they've been mulling this over. They could've had the project on the back-burner since the stargate COTG or even before, but when they got the tech and specs from the goa'uld and naquadria their work increased in leaps and bounds. Science before has increased our technology in such leaps before. esp. in times of war when their was a greater need.

My complaint lies in how *we* have seen this vein of technology develop. Specifically, in that we haven't!

We've been watching a show where the heroes have been exploring planets _on foot_ for the past six years, and then voila!?we's gots ourselves a starship!

I'm all for the "starship in six year's time" idea. Just wish they'd had hinted and alluded to it?oh, I don't know?four, five years ago instead of dumping it on us in the past six months.

And Doc, given what Prommie looks like, I'd say the second-generation vessel would look like this:

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 12-05-2002 at 09:40 PM

Old Post 12-05-2002 09:36 PM
president doc

I dont know, there was just something unsettling about that episode for me though....

The bridge of that ship, the way O'neill looked at home commanding a starship... I was half expecting him to perch on the edge, tug his shirt, wave his hand and say "make it so".

hmm... I really dont know, part of me loves it and part of me is wary.

Old Post 12-05-2002 10:07 PM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

God. Don't tell me the bridge is set up in that 'traditional' sci-fi style with a center captain's seat and all the other consoles circled 'round...

...frightfully ineffecient, in my opinion. In my own sci-fi foray, I envisioned the bridge layout of a particular class of corvette to be a cross between a tank and a WWII bomber: small, confined, and each station dedicated to their appointed task. None of this "the Captain gets a commanding view of all stations at any one time" crap?there's no 'Captain' in the Star Trek sense. The commanding officer is in charge of targeting/search sensors and communication (just like a tank commander is). He's the eyes and ears of the ship, not some department manager in an overglorified office.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-05-2002 10:35 PM
president doc

Hmm, I picture starship command in much the same way as ship command though, tank command is fine for a crew of 4 or 5 with limited functions, but youre in command of a vessel capable of many tasks with hundreds of crew performing multiple tasks... perhaps a compromise.
Having a commanding view, but during battle stations being able to all goto you own post and having to operate in a more efficient way.

Yeah, well, the bridge looked kind of like that, and I dont know, it looked a bit....... hackneyed? crummy? hmmm...

Old Post 12-05-2002 10:52 PM