Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > zats or staff weapons
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

Hi! I'm new here and to SG-1, and I love both so far (especially Amanda Tapping )

Anyway, I like staff weapons for several reasons:

1) cool sound when activated
2) way it eliminates the opponent
3) handy use as a club
4) it looks cool

The only disadvantage is its size. Has anyone taken a staff weapon apart yet?

No NUKAGE yet!

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 10-23-2002 11:15 PM
TheOneKEA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOneKEA Click here to Send TheOneKEA a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneKEA Add TheOneKEA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

Howdy and welcome!

Old Post 10-23-2002 11:25 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

Thanks

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 10-24-2002 12:26 AM
TheOneKEA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOneKEA Click here to Send TheOneKEA a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneKEA Add TheOneKEA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bikemancs
See you in January

no, i don't think there has been a dissasembly demonstration of the Staff weapon. oh well, we'll never learn the secrets on how to build one!

I will see you next year because that's when I'll be back on. have a merry christmas a Happy New Year and a good holiday for those of you for whom the above does not apply.

ANUBIS you still have to send me your pic!!!!!!! :angry:

Old Post 10-24-2002 01:42 AM
bikemancs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bikemancs Click here to Send bikemancs a Private Message Visit bikemancs's homepage! Find more posts by bikemancs Add bikemancs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

Ummm...

Bra'tac tends to carry a Staff, a Zat (back of left hand), and Goa'uld Shock Grenades under his cape...

My point is "For what tactical scenario?"

In a close in place, a Zat is cool. It's shorter range isn't a limitation, the higher rate-of-fire (it seems) offsets a bit it's lack of use for a melee weapon as does it's non-lethal first shot for close in work when crowded by friendlies. (See: "Allegience".) It's also more concealable and, if you go both ways* and have an extraordinarily long thumb**, used two handed for a really high rate of effective fire.

Disposal of the corpses, non-lethal effect, and it's comparitavely quiet discharge (again, and it's concealibility) make it a better weapon for infiltration/exfiltration/kidnapping missions.

On the other hand...

The Staff Weapon, in the hands of a Master, is both more accurate and more powerful and allows a quicker kill without having to hit the target twice. It is lethal in hand to hand and can be used (at close range) to disarm someone or "distract them" more than once without killing them.

In the open, it's longer range is also pretty helpful... eh?

I have a feeling that the staff and Zat are both pretty close to "solid state" in design with a minimum of moving parts, possible "grown" the way we make silicon chips or as a crystaline structure...

...not mechanically assembled except for the "heads"...

* - ambidextrous!
** - Trigger appears to be on only one side, IIRC.

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 10-24-2002 07:31 AM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Weve seen Jack O'Neill shot from a great distance on a Tokra planet by a zat weapon, I think in trained hands the zat would have quite an effective range, perhaps even locking the discharge onto the recipient if the aim was within certain limits to start with.

Old Post 10-24-2002 08:40 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lnt.kaos
Grrrrrr!

quote:
Originally posted by nug

And I'd say staff weapons, but I'm unimpressed with their rate of fire.

What? do you not rember the ep when master bra'tac fire's off about 10 rounds of staff fire in about 1 sec?

Old Post 10-24-2002 05:50 PM
Lnt.kaos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lnt.kaos Click here to Send Lnt.kaos a Private Message Find more posts by Lnt.kaos Add Lnt.kaos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

Nice

Has anyone noticed that O'Neill likes his semiautomatic submachine gun? And that TMO he has only used a staff or a zat gun in episodes like COTG and The Other Guys?

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 10-24-2002 10:07 PM
Wingless Flyer

Staff weapons for scaring locals of conquered planets, Jaffa wielding them are pretty scary.

But for effective use I'd say Zats, quicker and easier to use and you have the option of simply 'stunning' your enemy if you choose not to kill them...

Did anyone see the ep where they pay a visit to the camp of Jaffa who had left their Goa'uld to fight them?

As demonstrated by Sam a Semi Automatic can be just as effective if not more so then a staff weapon, unlike the staff weapon that had little accucary and simply knocked it about a bit, the semi-automatic was able to completely chop that trunk in two (or something like that).

Last edited by Wingless Flyer on 10-24-2002 at 11:43 PM

Old Post 10-24-2002 11:36 PM
Wingless Flyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingless Flyer Click here to Send Wingless Flyer a Private Message Find more posts by Wingless Flyer Add Wingless Flyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fenrir

I quite like the staff weapons, but thats because I used to compete with a stave (big smooth stick for hitting people). So the staff weapon is fairly similar. I used to wonder if maybe they where fragile or something because you never see them used as a club unlike the various human weapons, but then I saw two jaffa sparing with them (in the background of a season six shot).

The staff weapon also has lots of non lethal uses, for example as a walking stick, or one half of a streacher, and of course poking people in the kidneys.

Old Post 10-25-2002 10:41 AM
Fenrir is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fenrir Click here to Send Fenrir a Private Message Visit Fenrir's homepage! Find more posts by Fenrir Add Fenrir to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir
the staff weapon also has lots of non lethal uses, for example as a walking stick, or one half of a streacher, and of course poking people in the kidneys.

Lol, I can imagine someone using it for a strecher and holding it in the wrong place ("Oops, we're gonna need another stracher...")

Old Post 10-25-2002 05:41 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

hehehehe

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 10-25-2002 10:29 PM
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

quote:
Originally posted by TheOneKEA
Nice

Has anyone noticed that O'Neill likes his semiautomatic submachine gun? And that TMO he has only used a staff or a zat gun in episodes like COTG and The Other Guys?

Ummmm...

Submachineguns are, by definition, (fully) automatic or select-fire...

Definitions:

A semi-automatic (like most pistols and most civilian "automatic" rifles) means that one shot is fired for each time the trigger is pressed and released while the weapon cycles itself.

Automatic means the weapon continues to fire while the trigger is pressed (and there is ammunition in the weapon.)

Select or selective fire means the weapon can be fired either automatically or semi-automatically. It can also include various mechanically limited bursts of 2 or 3 rounds or weapons (like the WWII era BAR or some pre-WWII SMG's) with two rates of automatic fire.

A submachinegun is a select-fire or automatic weapon firing pistol ammunition and normally fitted with a means for more steady fire than a pistol (usually a forward grip or a shoulder stock.)

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 10-25-2002 11:48 PM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote