Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Is Stargate turning into the X-Files?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

Is Stargate turning into the X-Files?

Is it me, or is Stargate SG1 getting more and more like the X-Files?

The focus of the show has changed from exploring the galaxy, and meeting new species, to shadowy government agencies and conspiracies. The plot of 'Desperate Measures' is basically a rip-off of the X-Files story arc when Scully was kidnapped and experimented on.

The writers have apparently forgotten the show is called 'Stargate', not 'Government Conspiracies Revealed'.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-08-2001 01:46 AM
JoJo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoJo Click here to Send JoJo a Private Message Visit JoJo's homepage! Find more posts by JoJo Add JoJo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

well, both shows are filmed in the same place, so it'd be understandable that influences would rub off on both shows.

but, i hope SG-1 isn't gonna turn into the X-Files. that show lost all of it's scaryness and intrigue back when every episode was about aliens and government conspiraces. Now it's an eight/nine year old show trying to re-capture it's former glory.

one interesting note, is that when Gladiator was being filmed on Malta, U-571 was also being filmed there. Directors Ridley Scott and Jonathon Mostow would visit each-others sets frequently to see what was going on. Needless to say, Gladiator's sets were much better.

so, maybe the guys and gals behind SG-1 and the X-Files do the same thing?

Old Post 12-08-2001 01:59 AM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nug
Melon

Definitely a swing towards the govt conspiracy stuff. Mind you they did introduce it early on, it's just grown since then. They don't seem to be doing many exploring new planets type episodes anymore now, and there's a lot more flying around in fake looking ships, but if you were watching around s1 and s2 everyone was going on about how all the episodes were full of trees. And lots wanted a change...
Me personally, I like the trees much better than the conspiracy stuff, but a little variety never hurts.

As for sg1 turning into xfiles...I don't think so. It's not the first time SG1 ummm 'borrowed' and idea from another show...

Old Post 12-08-2001 06:22 AM
nug is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nug Click here to Send nug a Private Message Find more posts by nug Add nug to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

ya gotta love them for that... they get away with it

i dont mind which direction it takes as long as i enjoy it still !

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 12-08-2001 08:21 AM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

I like the whole conspiracy bit but they should try and balance it! I mean, SG-1 spent (OMG!) a total of 2/3 minutes off-world in 48 episodes and, what, 0 in proving ground. Again, 0 in desperite measures and, guess what, 0 in Wormhole Extreme (though that's kind of an exception).

What's that big round thing do again?

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 12-08-2001 12:12 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I've thought that (SG = XF) for a while, and I can see why MS might not have liked it. I think they do it well, but I still prefer them going off world. I think after a while, the gov conspiracy ones will get repetitive, but I haven't seen that in any off world eps... yet...

Old Post 12-08-2001 12:36 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

add to the fact that one of the leading male characters is leaving the show for the final season.... hmmm....

Old Post 12-08-2001 12:46 PM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

Stargate is taking a different raod towards the end of the shows run, but I think with their new idea (Stargate:Atlantis) they might take a different more mythological approach to the franchise.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 12-08-2001 01:26 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Which is fine with me! Theres a reason I don't watch the X Files! ... Other than it's scary...

Old Post 12-08-2001 01:47 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

you know, i was doing this exact same comparison at 4am last thursday morning, thinking it would be something to bring up here on gaters.. but then i got distracted and forgot the whole thing...

Think it had more to do with Stargate becoming a 'franchise' like The X Files did - but it worries me that Stargate doesn't have the same wide-spread public interest and enthusism that TXF did. I mean, TXF did the movie thing, the spin off series the whole thing, and they were an International hit - Yet they are still dying a painful (low ratings) death. Stargate doesn't even have the base number of core viewers, nor do the TV stations take it seriously enough, to take it through to a spin off and/or Movie. They should have hit the big time by now, but they haven't, and they are ending soon.

This is why i think that Stargate should stay away from conspiracy - we are over it. When the X Files became popular, every second show was about a govt. conspiracy and aliens and whatever - at least Stargate had a fresh perspective on the whole 'Alien' front, but i think it will be one of their biggest mistakes to pick up where the XF has left off - if we wanted conspiracy and evil governments etc, we'd watch the x files. and we dont.

I say - stick to what you were good at. Alien races, flying pyramid ships, off world alliances and battles. Stay out of the darkened briefing rooms and alleyways and back handed deals and blackmail.

Old Post 12-08-2001 02:12 PM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

Well JK, apparently great minds do think alike! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks SG1 should return to its roots and stop trying to be an X-Files clone. I've been watching the downloads the 1st season eps and I have to say they were much better. The early eps had a real sense of wonder and excitement.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the X-Files, (back when it was good), but that whole 'Government Conspiracy' stuff has just gotten so old and stale. And as you pointed out, we are so over it.

Old Post 12-08-2001 03:18 PM
JoJo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoJo Click here to Send JoJo a Private Message Visit JoJo's homepage! Find more posts by JoJo Add JoJo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

i really liked season 4...infact it was my fav season........ but i noticed how different it is from season 1!

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 12-08-2001 03:25 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I hated Series Four, there were too many people killed off, and Jack came across as too stupid....

Series Five, is for me probably gonna be the X Files series. But then looking at how the series started off.... At one point, I thought it was gonna be the best series so far (namely Ascension, Rite of Passage and Between Two Fires). I like that they have long running storylines like

Spoiler:
Tanith and the Goa'uld in DM and Simmons
cos it gives the show continuity, but I prefer the show in general to be more off world based.

Series Three I think was my favourite series so far, because there was a lot of development, not only of SGC characters, but of Goa'ulds, whereas now, the producers seem to be trying to make the SGC angels of the universe, and everyone else (Tok'ra, Tollan, any organisation outside the SGC) having some ulterior motive.

Series One was OK, considering it was the first, and Series Two was good as a foundation for the next series'.

And I have no idea how this is related to the topic at hand. Ahem. OK, X Files. Government Conspiracies. I liked episodes like Shades Of Grey, in that they were a nice change, about government/NID conspiracies, (what does NID actually stand for?!) and yet there was a good couple of senes shot offworld (so to speak!) I don't like it so much now, because like everyone seems to be saying... it's too X Filey....

And so, to conclude....

Last edited by Venus on 12-08-2001 at 04:14 PM

Old Post 12-08-2001 04:12 PM
president doc

NID stands for national institute of defence.

Old Post 12-08-2001 11:15 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColJ
Jack O'Neill's De-briefer

I like the occasional conspiracy ep, maybe 5 out of 22 eps. The problem is, off world eps cost more to produce... set design, costumes, special effects etc, etc. I still watch the XFiles. I find it's a little better without Mulder. Btw, XFiles isn't produced in Vancouver anymore. DD demanded it be moved to LA 2 yrs ago, so they moved it. Then he decided to leave the show.

Old Post 12-09-2001 04:08 AM
ColJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ColJ Click here to Send ColJ a Private Message Find more posts by ColJ Add ColJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote