Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Technological advancement
Pages (11): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Consider that Setesh, stranded upon Earth ever since the eviction of the Goa'uld, had a personal shield. Plus, there is Marduc, who had been stuck inside a sarc for 5,000 years and he was able to acquire a shield stashed within the ziggurat he was entombed in. The personal force shield of the Goa'uld is then neither new nor developed by Apophis to counter SG-1.

As to cracking Goa'uld cloaking technology, that shouldn't be hard to do once somebody perfects a gravimetric disturbance sensor. The combined spatial distortion effect of the artificial gravity system, anti-gravitational repulser drives, and the sheer mass of a cloaked ship should be enough to sniff out a target by the gravitational forces they exert.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 08-16-2002 02:57 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

I wonder why it took Apophis so long to get a shield ribbon device? And what's the go with touching the bak of their hand? Does it activate the shield? Marduk didn't have 2 it was automatic.

Old Post 09-23-2002 04:28 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

That's called a goof...

Old Post 09-23-2002 05:56 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

What is?

Old Post 09-23-2002 10:50 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
O'Neill
Spam King since 1983.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord ?okar
I wonder why it took Apophis so long to get a shield ribbon device? And what's the go with touching the bak of their hand? Does it activate the shield? Marduk didn't have 2 it was automatic.

Yes, There is a big red button on the back of the ribbon device that activates the personal defense shielding.

Marduk's shield is either a more advanced version or the same device which has been modified.

Old Post 09-23-2002 11:00 AM
O'Neill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for O'Neill Click here to Send O'Neill a Private Message Find more posts by O'Neill Add O'Neill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

No, Marduk had been stranded underground for about 5000 years. I think he'd be a little behind the times.

Old Post 09-24-2002 12:28 AM
O'Neill
Spam King since 1983.

Then he may have modified his exsisting ribbon device.

Old Post 09-24-2002 06:25 AM
O'Neill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for O'Neill Click here to Send O'Neill a Private Message Find more posts by O'Neill Add O'Neill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

a goof is when something is wrong(or in this case inconsistent) in a movie/tv-serie. like when the character is able to succesfully load a shotgun with 3 shells or something.

but it could also be so that marduk as a hated leader(so hated that his own minions imprisoned him) could develop a shield that was working all the time, since he might not know who wanted to kill him...

Old Post 09-24-2002 08:56 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
Then he may have modified his exsisting ribbon device.
When, how, with what, to what????? It can't be a more advanced version because he's been stuck in a Ziggurat with a whatsy as a host up until his death. Even if he had somehow managed to chnage the device with its claws, he wouldn't have known what to change it to because hes been stuck there.

Old Post 09-24-2002 09:15 AM
president doc

indeed, it would have been impossible to rig it so that the on switch would aslways be depressed when placed on a hand, the complexity of such an endeavour astounds me

Old Post 09-24-2002 09:51 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

obviously, the ribbon device was modified before he was put in the sarc. since it was placed outside of the sarc. it's more likely that the whole thing is a goof... i mean, it's happen before.

Old Post 09-24-2002 09:52 AM
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

If it was modified before he was sarcoughogised then the technology would be ancient and every other Goa'uld would have had it and that would go against what we see in The Nox where Apophois has just got 1. And seth had one too so it was not just Marduk that did and since Setesh was one of the most ridiculed and least powerful Goa'ulds I find it hard to believe that someone like Apophis who was a system lord would have trouble aquiring the tech. There must be some other reason. BTW, I do not believe in goofs in a fiction show. In a forum like this the whole point is to discuss the technical difficulties and assume that they are deliberate not to just write them off.

Old Post 09-24-2002 08:48 PM
president doc

Perhaps Teal'c didnt know of Apophis's personal protection devices... He was after all Teal'cs God.

Old Post 09-24-2002 09:21 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Maybe he didn't. Unlikely but possible.

Old Post 09-24-2002 09:39 PM
president doc

Tealc has been shown to be lacking in knowledge in many areas when it comes to Goa'uld technology.
Im thinking Daniels division of labour tactics in absolute power were derived from the conniving goa'ulds whos knowledge he absorbed.
It would also help maintain his godlike status if those below him didnt know more than they needed to know.

Old Post 09-24-2002 09:43 PM