Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Cure (synopsis and spoilers)
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kmg

quote:
Originally posted by shiloh
'S ok . But at first I was thinking we were back on Bedrosia -- which could have been interesting.

Yeah, thought the same thing especially when another character's name sounded like Mallock (sp?).

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 08-20-2002 01:24 PM
kmg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kmg Click here to Send kmg a Private Message Find more posts by kmg Add kmg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kmg

Barry, I really like your signature block.

Old Post 08-20-2002 01:25 PM
kmg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kmg Click here to Send kmg a Private Message Find more posts by kmg Add kmg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

i thought it was a really good eppy... definatly not as bad as some make out

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 08-20-2002 04:19 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

Location: On the potak taking a shitak in the peltak with Selmak on Delmak

I liked it as well even though i need to see it a few more times just to get the things I missed a few more times.
This ep shows how far off-track the Tok'ra had gotten when it came to what was more important: themselves or others. Apparently, Egeria had not digressed one bit, and I thought it was very unselfish and honorable of her that she did not intend to harm the Pangarans and that her final act was to save them instead of trying to save herself or her "children." Hope for the Tok'ra? I think so.

And you gotta love Jack's line:
"Doesn't it... need a man-friend?"

I have a Vespa and two cats!

Old Post 08-20-2002 04:38 PM
Rithmah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rithmah Click here to Send Rithmah a Private Message Find more posts by Rithmah Add Rithmah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

did you see the long look sam and jack shared at that!

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 08-20-2002 05:51 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

hehehe! Such was the humor in that episode. That's another thing I like about this ep and about Stargate in general: no matter how serious the episode might be, there's always that little quip or those looks worth a thousand words that just you grin.

Old Post 08-20-2002 06:32 PM
Rithmah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rithmah Click here to Send Rithmah a Private Message Find more posts by Rithmah Add Rithmah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
webmouse
Fearless Mouse

Although I did like the ep in general I didn't see much reason for

Spoiler:
the death of Egeria AND the death of Kelma AND the death of their host.

Couldn't Kelma have gone splashing happily in Egeria's tank for awhile? And why lose the host? Sam's ok. Jack's ok. Presumably, Ska'ra is ok.

For the Tok'ra the end of this ep looked like the last act of Hamlet.

Queen of De Nile

Old Post 08-20-2002 11:08 PM
webmouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for webmouse Click here to Send webmouse a Private Message Visit webmouse's homepage! Find more posts by webmouse Add webmouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

quote:
Originally posted by webmouse

For the Tok'ra the end of this ep looked like the last act of Hamlet.

Ah, the beauty of tragedy and sacrifice...

Old Post 08-21-2002 01:13 AM
webmouse
Fearless Mouse

Yeah, but Shakespeare wasn't trying to maintain a TV series

Queen of De Nile

Old Post 08-21-2002 07:26 PM
webmouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for webmouse Click here to Send webmouse a Private Message Visit webmouse's homepage! Find more posts by webmouse Add webmouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brent

It was an ok episode

not the best i've seen though

no CG effects, nothing noteable, must be saving them up...

no combat

it was as everyone has said, a plot driven, negotiating/diplomatic mission which was boring, the only new information we learned was about the Tok'ra Queen, and a little mention of Ra which was neat, nothing else new

jonass smilies WAY to much indeed, he's TOO happy, someone needs to slap him

i guess they are saving up for the season finale tomorrow....

Old Post 08-22-2002 02:47 PM
Brent is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brent Click here to Send Brent a Private Message Visit Brent's homepage! Find more posts by Brent Add Brent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
webmouse
Fearless Mouse

quote:
Originally posted by Brent

jonass smilies WAY to much indeed, he's TOO happy, someone needs to slap him

Sam did -- in "Nightwalkers." Best part of that ep, but doesn't seemed to have helped much

Queen of De Nile

Old Post 08-22-2002 09:55 PM
Paul C

Cure (***1/2)

Cure is the second script written by new writer Damien Kindler, the first being 'The Other Guys'. So far both of his contributions have been good, solid episodes at different ends of the spectrum, one a comedy, the other a serious first contact episode. While the episode at first starts off as an off world standalone it soon develops into an episode dealing with the Tok'ra plot arc. IMO it does this well.

At last! We have an episode dealing with an off world first contact/exploration, something the show hasn't done for a while. It was good to see the team on a new planet and dealing with mythology/archaeology, unfortunately this did highlight that Daniel was missing. So far the writers have done a good job trying to develop a separate route for Jonas, however here they just stuck him straight into a role made for Daniel and they really need to try and keep away from that. It really is too convenient to have him know everything Daniel knew and even be translating stuff before Teal'c. I like Jonas as a character so that?s the negative about him over, hopefully the writers will not do it again. As the episode progresses the focus obviously changes from first contact and exploration to the Tok'ra, a switch that is very well done. When the Tok'ra arrive they are shown to be for the Pangarans, willing to help and even glad that a Goa'uld is being 'used'. Of course when they find out it isn't a Goa'uld, but their Queen, they do a complete 180 and say it is an affront to them. The change was in character for them, especially someone like Malek who had already been shown to have very strong beliefs in his own people in the previous episode. Did the Tok'ra deliberately keep info on an antidote from the Pangarans? I would go with Sam and say no, why would they? The Pangarans offered them Egeria in exchange for a cure so it would be stupid to not give them one.

A number of good moves were made with Cure. First off, the decision to kill Egeria and not give the Tok'ra an easy get out of their problems will hopefully lead to more good stories. I wasn't really expecting this, the scene had been set in 'Allegiance' with the free Jaffa to end the Tok'ra dieing story. The Jaffa could have incubated the Tok'ra young that Egeria produced. However, the best move was made by not portraying the Pangarans as bad guys. It would have been easy to paint them as evil, another alien of the week to offer SG-1 technology/medicine only to deceive them. The Pangarans however did everything for what they saw as being a good cause, they discover a Queen, do some experiments, find out they could make a medicine that would cure all ills and they would deal with any side effects later when they had too. When they find out about Egeria they apologise and ask Egeria for forgiveness for what they have done.

Overall then, Cure isn't a paint by numbers effort and has some solid roots in a good exploration episode and mythology and takes the opportunity well to move the story into a Tok'ra episode. There is solid acting from all the cast, including the guests and the SFX are used well to compliment the story.

Read the full review & synopsis on my site.

Old Post 11-23-2002 01:40 PM
Paul C is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul C Click here to Send Paul C a Private Message Visit Paul C's homepage! Find more posts by Paul C Add Paul C to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote