Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Ring transporter beef.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Ring transporter beef.

I have a few problems with the details of the operation of the Goa'uld ring transporter devices. This is speaking from a strictly macroscopic scale, there are probably far more problems operating at an atomic level.

The actual transportation wave that flows through the rings is a gradual transference. This presents problems of disconnection and compression: Per e.g.: Saying the wave passes down your body (Seth), once it takes away your head your body would become limp and fall to the floor, thereby disconnecting you from your head; rather fatal.

On the other hand if the wave passes from the ground up (Into The Fire) then you will fall into into it thereby super-compressing you; also fatal.

There is a lag period as the pulse of matter moves along the carrier beam to the terminal. These problems might have been easily resolved if the platform facillitated neurone transmission in real-time back and forth between terminals. But that would mean that you are conscious of your journey and you aren't (Enemies). Any ideas?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-16-2002 05:36 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Ring emitters either do a whole-mass transition to dematerialzation, or place an inertial stasis effect within the field.

And as demonstrated in "Enemies", no awareness of the actual transition between emitters is experienced?only the cycle of de-materialization/re-materialization (ie: you always see the rings have been deployed while cycling through transport).

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-16-2002 05:44 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

whole-mass transition to dematerialzation
They can't do, the wave is gradual.

inertial stasis effect within the field
(The Other Guys) O'Neill was talking even as the wave passed over him.

And as demonstrated in "Enemies", no awareness of the actual transition between emitters is experienced?only the cycle of de-materialization/re-materialization (ie: you always see the rings have been deployed while cycling through transport).
That's what I mean, if you were conscious, it would solve these problems but you're not because we see a direct transition beween Apophis' and the Cronus' ships, yet we know that there is latency.

Old Post 12-16-2002 05:58 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

Theory 1

I believe the matter in the rings is 'frozen' in place for the whole duration of de/re-materialisation. The evidence of this is in the episode where the rings are used underwater, and the water doesn't "splash" away to the floor until the rematerialisation is totally complete.

I consider any instances of this not being the case (you have pointed out The Other Guys as an example) to be attributed to artistic licence in creating the show, keeping it fast paced and cool looking.

Theory 2

I believe that just before the wave hits you, every subatomic particle in your body is recorded into an electronic signal, and the 'wave' you see if the 'original' copy of your body being destroyed. The "matter stream" is just a digitised version of you being sent for information purposes to the other ring, which assembles you out of local energy particles based on the data in the matter stream.
So the 'wave' IS fatal, intentionally.

Theory 3

It's a TV show, not a physics documentary.

Last edited by Goa`uld on 12-16-2002 at 09:35 AM

Old Post 12-16-2002 09:25 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

It could work like a gate does. You can put your head through the gate and your body won't go limp. The 'wave' could work like the horizon of the stargate only it's moving up (or down) your body whereas with the stargate, you move.

Old Post 12-16-2002 02:16 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

quote:
Originally posted by Lord ?okar
whole-mass transition to dematerialzation
They can't do, the wave is gradual.

Pray tell, Mr Wizard, how sure of this are you? Especially with a work of science fiction?

quote:
inertial stasis effect within the field
(The Other Guys) O'Neill was talking even as the wave passed over him.

"The Other Guys", the frame story that is, by its essence as a frame story, highly suspect in its accuracy?

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-16-2002 02:38 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

Spoiler:
the other guys was a dream was it not?

Old Post 12-16-2002 02:57 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

In addition, when I said "inertial stasis", I meant something along the line of the halting of all momentum and gravity within the field. I did not refer to temporal stasis.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-16-2002 06:42 PM
Sergeant Mick

quote:
Originally posted by Goa`uld
Theory 1

I believe the matter in the rings is 'frozen' in place for the whole duration of de/re-materialisation. The evidence of this is in the episode where the rings are used underwater, and the water doesn't "splash" away to the floor until the rematerialisation is totally complete.

I consider any instances of this not being the case (you have pointed out The Other Guys as an example) to be attributed to artistic licence in creating the show, keeping it fast paced and cool looking.

Theory 2

I believe that just before the wave hits you, every subatomic particle in your body is recorded into an electronic signal, and the 'wave' you see if the 'original' copy of your body being destroyed. The "matter stream" is just a digitised version of you being sent for information purposes to the other ring, which assembles you out of local energy particles based on the data in the matter stream.

Theory 3

It's a TV show, not a physics documentary.

I like theory 3! It's simple!

Old Post 12-16-2002 09:55 PM
Sergeant Mick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sergeant Mick Click here to Send Sergeant Mick a Private Message Find more posts by Sergeant Mick Add Sergeant Mick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

yeah but we like discussing it

Old Post 12-16-2002 10:28 PM
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Pray tell, Mr Wizard, how sure of this are you? Especially with a work of science fiction?
Since it is a work of Sci-Fi, and this is a discusion thread, there is not one source that is any more or less accurate. The Other Guys was not a dream(up till the pashing) and it counts as a fully realistic account of how a ring platform goes.

In addition, when I said "inertial stasis", I meant something along the line of the halting of all momentum and gravity within the field. I did not refer to temporal stasis.
Well then inertial stasis would be useless becasuse you would still suffer the same effects.

BTW, Mr Wizard resents the tone the previous post was presented in and he is fully sure that it is a wave that passes over you in a gradual manner because,
1) It looks like a wave
2) Moves like a wave
3) Acts like a wave (The Other Guys)
------
to be attributed to artistic licence in creating the show, keeping it fast paced and cool looking.
2 edged sword, what makes you think that you instance in Descent was not conversely the incorrect operation?

This does not resolve the conflicts that this thread raised. And also, if it does not transmit your matter to the other terninus then how would it reorder you with no source material? And, (The Devil You Know) Carter said it is a matter stream.

Old Post 12-16-2002 10:59 PM
president doc

LS, what you have to realise is that in the show, you have two conflicting portrayals of how a piece of technology works.

One portrayal can be taken as canon meaning leading to the conclusion that it cant work and everyone would die, or you can take the other portrayal to be correct and thus the Ring transporters do work.

Thus whenever one sees a ring transport which supports the theory that its all crap, you ignore, and when you see a portrayal which indicates a theory which would work, you take that as canon.

Old Post 12-16-2002 11:16 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

quote:
Originally posted by Lord ?okar
Since it is a work of Sci-Fi, and this is a discusion thread, there is not one source that is any more or less accurate.

That's a funny remark, considering that you've had a fun time brushing off differing points of view with little more than a blanket statement and no evidence or argument to support your rebuttal.

quote:
The Other Guys was not a dream(up till the pashing) and it counts as a fully realistic account of how a ring platform goes.

According to you. Not according to all.

quote:
Well then inertial stasis would be useless becasuse you would still suffer the same effects.

Explain something to me, then: what is the literal meaning of the word inertial stasis? Then explain how a term for a force that arrests all motion will not be effective in, well, arresting all motion?

quote:
BTW, Mr Wizard resents the tone the previous post was presented in and he is fully sure that it is a wave that passes over you in a gradual manner because,
1) It looks like a wave
2) Moves like a wave
3) Acts like a wave (The Other Guys)

Kid, you ain't seen me a full tilt. You seem to be so hung up on observed phenomena, yet wholly discount theories that explain the observed phenomena. In short, you keep saying "They'd get killed by the ring transporter"?this way and that. The fact of the matter is, in the show they are not killed by transport, so all of the effects you've presented (inertial compression/disassociation) are null and void! If you can remove yourself from the mindset that Ring Transporters would kill its users (when they clearly DO NOT), you'd be well on your way in discussing this thread. Drop that charade and open your mind to the possibility.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-17-2002 12:42 AM
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Explain something to me, then: what is the literal meaning of the word inertial stasis? Then explain how a term for a force that arrests all motion will not be effective in, well, arresting all motion?
Ok then, whatever it's meaning, it's not there cos no motion is arrested.

The fact of the matter is, in the show they are not killed by transport, so all of the effects you've presented (inertial compression/disassociation)
OI can see that they don't get killed and the purpose of this thread is to determine why they don't. If a theory on why is not supported by any other number of sources (observed pehnomemon, inferencing or whatever) then it is most probably not so, unless it fits in with all observed. No no source (besides the show) is cannon, which is WHY observed phenemenon is so important in an anmbiguous thread like this.

According to you. Not according to all.
Ok, let's say for a moment that it was a dream (all of it) then the dreamer (Felgar) would have a supreme understandng of the function of the rings and his dream would thereby reflect that operation.

yet wholly discount theories that explain the observed phenomena
Cos they don't explain it.

That's a funny remark, considering that you've had a fun time brushing off differing points of view with little more than a blanket statement and no evidence or argument to support your rebuttal.
Why does that make it a funny statement? What it means is that info from the show is not more or less accurate than one another.

Kid, you ain't seen me a full tilt.
At what?

Old Post 12-17-2002 02:10 AM
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Of cource they're moving I mean, look:

Old Post 12-17-2002 07:12 AM