Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Other Worlds
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lnt.kaos
Grrrrrr!

Other Worlds

What i don't get is all these other worlds that humans have bin dumped on by the go'uld why haven't they evelobved into humans like us back on earth

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-11-2001 08:59 PM
Lnt.kaos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lnt.kaos Click here to Send Lnt.kaos a Private Message Find more posts by Lnt.kaos Add Lnt.kaos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

well, it's like that alternate reality stuff... many possible forks... yada yada yada...

Old Post 12-11-2001 09:04 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

That's the sort of question any anthropologist would give their right arm to answer.

The majority of cultures transplanted from Earth did not face some of the grand cultural shifts that occured on the homeworld. The rise of Islam. The advent of the concepts of chivalry. The fall of empires and the rise of monotheistic religions. The Dark Ages. The Crusades. The Age of Discovery, where civilzations found other civilizations in the most distant corners of the world. There's a whole bunch of stuff that happened on Earth that would not have happened on these smaller worlds.

Bear in mind that humans have been on Earth for a few million years. The Goa'uld took a tiny fraction of the Earth's population offworld only a few millenia ago. One would have to conclude that no matter how many children were born from the following generations, the population of any non-terrestrial human world would still have to be much smaller than the population of the home planet...Earth.

The typical offworld colony we have seen in Stargate will consist more or less of one culture. Most of the significant world events of Earth came about when differing cultures made contact with each other and new ways of doing things were shared, traded, or taken. Such offworld civilizations would not have had these cross-cultural exchanges, and this could have been what kept them from advancing as far as Earth has.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 12-11-2001 at 11:55 PM

Old Post 12-11-2001 09:28 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Wow, everybit of RHs post makes sense to me and I agree with it. But just for the sake of getting in on this explanation I will say what Daniel said about the Tollan, I think it was the Tollan. He said that people from earth would be colonizing space if not for the Dark ages. Like how evolution of learning sat still for quite some time. So if a culture doesn't have that obstical they can get ahead in evolution.

He also had a good point that I never really thought about. That many obsticals as well as advancements in mans past has been when he met another culture and couldn't accept them or how they think or learned from them.

Whenever you actually know whats being said and know what your talking about is a good time to post, even if it has already been covered.

Old Post 12-11-2001 11:14 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

phew, for a moment there i thought this was gonna be a "why does every planet have trees?" thread

anyway, it was outlined in the movie that the reason we had advanced so far was that we had opposed the goa'uld, and thrown them off of our planet...

so, other races may have been under goa'uld control for longer (or still are), or may just not have invented stuff (like the wheel, lightbulb, pen, TV and toaster ) because they feel it is beyond them to do so.

Old Post 12-12-2001 12:24 AM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Another good point. Many factors contribute to how advanced a civilization is, more advanced than earth or not.

Old Post 12-12-2001 01:21 AM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by The Ash Man
"why does every planet have trees?"

No, seriously? Or is the answer to that that they don't. Or because Vancouver does?

Old Post 12-12-2001 12:55 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

Another reason why civilizations on planets controlled by goa'uld haven't advanced would also be that the goa'uld wouldn't allow them to advance - e.g., when a local Galileo or Einstein was around, the local god would put a stop to him.

LOL about the trees. I think the answers is they don't all have trees, it just seems like that.

The Tok'ra worlds are always sand; the world in BtS was all ice, the Tollan world, the world in Ascension, Marty's world were all industrialized.

'Course the real world reason is that like Venus said, Vancouver has trees - lots and lots of trees. British Columbia is beautiful but it's not known for its deserts. But I wonder why they've never used the coast? They could set an episode at - what's it called, Wreck Beach? LOL, now that would be FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(FYI, Wreck Beach is clothing optional.........)

Old Post 12-12-2001 05:30 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I wondered if, in an alternate reality, you would be... like you are now (just trying to keep up soemw pretense of being on topic!)

Old Post 12-12-2001 08:43 PM
shiloh
Radix lecti

Philosophical question, what makes you "you". I'd think the question would be what happened different in the AU and did in change who you are.

Old Post 12-12-2001 10:08 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

They say that by age 5 the things that make a person the way they are or the programming of the person is already done. I don't know if everybit of that is true because I know I am very different than I was as a child, or politically atleast.

But in the AU, things are different, or in some AU's things are very different. Therefore the programming of a person is completely different, thus different people. Not all the time or all of the AU's but if the environment is drasticly different so is the person.

Wow, you can really see the progression of my thoughts through out this post.

Old Post 12-12-2001 10:45 PM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

quote:
Originally posted by Lee
They say that by age 5 the things that make a person the way they are or the programming of the person is already done.

Sounds too much like B.F. Skinner there, and I have have a standing blood oath to see that quack burned at the stake.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-12-2001 10:53 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Well, it's something my wierd english teacher said. Thats where I got it. Makes some sense in a way though.

Old Post 12-12-2001 11:07 PM
Venus

...Skinner isn't dead? And btw, I disagree with the saying.

Old Post 12-13-2001 03:06 PM
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

It may be true for most people because most don't challange what they do or believe a lot of the time.

And like I said...

quote:
I don't know if everybit of that is true because I know I am very different than I was as a child, or politically atleast.

The political thing is just an example though.

Old Post 12-13-2001 07:35 PM