Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Aztecs and Mayans
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

WHAT KID????

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-12-2001 02:45 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

quote:
Originally posted by Venus
Kinda off topic, kinda on... Does anyone know anything about the Olmecs? They built those big face statue things... ?

Youve been watching too much of the Simpsons.

Simply ancient native americans..sigh...damn pc correctness, time was i cud call em red injuns!

Old Post 11-12-2001 03:00 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by president doc
Youve been watching too much of the Simpsons.

I am insulted!! Nover watched a whole ep of the Simpsons in my life! And proud of it!!

And I was being serious!! Anyone know about the stones...?!

Old Post 11-12-2001 05:51 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

as was I...infact, search the bleedin net...yull get lotsa info on it')

Old Post 11-12-2001 06:59 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

...Do I have to...?

Old Post 11-12-2001 07:01 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeeMarie

Venus, you heathen! You should worship the Simpsons like I do

Anyway, thanks to my trusty encyclopedia (children's edition) this is all I could find on the Olmecs without searching the net...

The Olmecs sprang up about 1200bc west of Yucatan. They had a thing about carving huge stone heads, having to transport the stone about 130km inland - now that's dedication! They also liked to carve in jade as part of their jaguar cult religion.

They had systems for arithmatic and writing, but were basically a stone age people, using flint and obsidian tools.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if they were the same people who carved those stone heads on Easter Island? I wouldn't have thought so, but it seems like an odd coincidence. Must have been the fad of their day

Old Post 11-13-2001 12:02 PM
DeeMarie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DeeMarie Click here to Send DeeMarie a Private Message Find more posts by DeeMarie Add DeeMarie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Most definitely NOT!!!

Apart from a few thousand miles of ocean and the vast wastes of time to seperate them, the styles are also totally different.

Old Post 11-13-2001 03:31 PM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

quote:
Originally posted by DeeMarie
...They had systems for arithmatic and writing, but were basically a stone age people, using flint and obsidian tools. ...

That goes without saying. All of Pre-Columbian American civilizations did not use metal for utlitarian purposes. The only Native American cultures that had any experience with metal were the Dene Indians up north in Northern Canada, and they used copper. The use of iron was never present in the Americas until the Europeans came by. Cutting tools were of chipped stone and obsidian, and the only metalwork was that of gold and silver.

The Aztecs, however, while not capable of making steel or iron, did have swords for the warriors. The macuahuitl is a two-handed sword of wood fitted with a slotted edge that accepted the insertion of obsidian chips to act as the cutting edge. The very fact that the Aztec warriors had this sword, and that their opposing tribes did not, is what allowed the Aztecs to conquer neighboring peoples and become the predominant empire in the Americas. That is, until the Spaniards came with swords of their own, this time manufactured out of steel.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 11-13-2001 05:39 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

This is begining to sound like one of those drama documentaries charting the rise and fall of ancient empires(especially that ending).. do continue..or has it reached its conclusion..sigh

Old Post 11-13-2001 07:00 PM
DeeMarie

I kinda like all this ancient history stuff, in fact I'm watching a documentary now on the Valley of the Kings - nothing to do with the fact it's narrated by the gorgeous Peter Woodward of course

Old Post 11-13-2001 08:24 PM
DeeMarie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DeeMarie Click here to Send DeeMarie a Private Message Find more posts by DeeMarie Add DeeMarie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

What?! When was that on? What channel? Is it being repeated?

Thanx for the Olmec info, but pres-doc, I have heard it claimed that the Ancient Egyptian journeyed to Britain once....

Old Post 11-13-2001 09:13 PM
DEATH
I AM YOUR DOOM

am i going deaf or did somone say they haven seen the simpsons you are missing a great portion of the world hummor
next you will say you haven seen south park

Old Post 11-14-2001 04:43 AM
DEATH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DEATH Click here to Send DEATH a Private Message Find more posts by DEATH Add DEATH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Not to play devil's advocate or anything, but I think it would be possible for someone to have not seen South Park or The Simpsons. Has anyone here seen the episodes of I Love Lucy where Lucy and Ethel work at a candy shop, for instance? That is part of a "great portion of world humor" as well...

Old Post 11-14-2001 05:07 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeeMarie

Uh Venus, I'm not sure what channel it was on - Discovery or National Geo, but I'm pretty sure they'll repeat it. I was sitting at my PC when I heard Peter Woodward and took a sudden interest in Ancient Egypt. I mean, he has such lovely eyes and a gorgeous mouth and a sexy voice that just makes you go all wibbly-wobbly...

Old Post 11-14-2001 01:23 PM
Venus

Well, after that review, I'll be sure to check it out....! And DEATH you're right, I don't watch South Park either.

Old Post 11-14-2001 06:09 PM