Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > 1969 spoilers
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lnt.kaos
Grrrrrr!

1969 spoilers

there may be some spoilers here!!!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
Righ i i doin't get is how they use the Satrgate to time travel How do they work out when they are going to??

Plus i liked the gate dialer in hte fucher

JD

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-01-2001 09:53 AM
Lnt.kaos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lnt.kaos Click here to Send Lnt.kaos a Private Message Find more posts by Lnt.kaos Add Lnt.kaos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Something about predicting if and when there would be a solar flare, that would intercept... I dunno... the wormhole of something. So does the wormhole actually go *through* space? So that a solar flare might be shooting away from the sun (or whatever it is that solar flares do) and then go *through* the wormhole?... Couldn't someone (or some of their particles) get like instantaneously burned or soemthing?

Old Post 12-01-2001 11:23 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

aww man! not a third thread.

In stargate, even though it seems to be an extradimensional conduit, a solar flare seems to effect it! lol oh well!

if you have accessed a higher dimension via a tunneling extradimensional conduit, an event such as a solar flare occuring in real space within the confines of 3 spatial and one time dimension should have no effect on the path of teh wormhole through the higher dimension, and as such, there should be no effect to the travellers, or dynamics of teh wormhole.

i like that, it sounds unneccesarily complex, but is still something something.

Old Post 12-01-2001 11:50 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

why cant something like a solar flare interact with the wormhole?

because, we are tightly bound by our dimensions, this is why you cant easily interact with 2 dimensional space, and this is why you dont see blobs floating around in empty space everywhere constantly changing shape as higher dimensions intersect ours, which is what has been hypothesised as happening if some sort of physical object of whatever form were to intersect our spatial realm,
the other six dimensions are all curled up and isolated from our own 4
curled up to less than one angstrom length.

Old Post 12-01-2001 11:57 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

OK, a few questions....

quote:
Originally posted by president doc
if you have accessed a higher dimension

How would you get one of them then?!
quote:
via a tunneling extradimensional conduit,

aka wormhole?
quote:
should have no effect on the path of teh wormhole through the higher dimension,

why not?
quote:
i like that, it sounds unneccesarily complex, but is still something something.

Yeah, see you should stop doing that, otherwise I have to keep ripping your post up! ;p
quote:
because, we are tightly bound by our dimensions,

Meaning...?
quote:
this is why you cant easily interact with 2 dimensional space,

Theres such a thing? Where? Like, in space? I thought space was all 3D?
quote:
and this is why you dont see blobs floating around in empty space

Whats empty space, and *why* not?
quote:
higher dimensions intersect ours,

Where and when do they do that then?
quote:
if some sort of physical object of whatever form were to intersect our spatial realm,

Like... a metoeor?!

Old Post 12-01-2001 12:09 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

lol

you could enter the event horizon of a black hole at the einstein rosen bridge, hypothetically speaking, you could enter a wormhole, thus accessing a higher dimension.

yes, wormhole.

why not?...ive answered that in my second post.

Yeah, see you should stop doing that, otherwise I have to keep ripping your post up! ;p
Oh shut up lol

I was just saying, it is impossible for us at the moment to access a 2 dimensional universe etc etc, to illustrate that it is also impossible for us to access higher dimensions for the time being at least, hell, the human mind can barely comprehend the dynamics of more than 4 dimensions, we have an essentially 3 d geared mind, because thats what we need to survive, a good perception of the 3 spatial dimensions...
we are tightly bound by our dimensions, that means i cant just pop into the 5th dimension for a cup of tea!

empty space, i was merely trying to say, any space, as in why that space in between you and your computer monitor isnt filled with blob floating in mid air changing shape all the time ..why not, once again, because the 6 higher dimensions jsut dont seem to beable to interact with ours, as they are curled up.

like a meteor? ..urm, what im trying to say is..imagine there was this guy called bob who lived in a 5 dimensional universe, it had 4 spatial dimensions, and one time dimension, now lets say he decided to interact with our crappy 4 dimensional universe..he shoves his finger into this strange machine, and his finger would intersect with our own universe, his finger would be the physical object, im saying anything that passes for an object in that realm...get my point?

Last edited by president doc on 12-01-2001 at 12:26 PM

Old Post 12-01-2001 12:24 PM
Venus

quote:
einstein rosen bridge,

Care to explain that principle to me?!
quote:
you could enter a wormhole, thus accessing a higher dimension.
So a wormhole is a higer dimension? How many dimensions does a wormhole have anyway?
quote:
the human mind can barely comprehend the dynamics of more than 4 dimensions,

So by that you mean.... 3 dimensions and one time dimension thingy?
quote:
why that space in between you and your computer monitor isnt filled with blob floating in mid air changing shape all the time

I don't get your obssession with blobs! What are they? And wouldn't there be blobs there if there wasnt any gravity, or is it not that kind of blob?!
quote:
the 6 higher dimensions jsut dont seem to beable to interact with ours, as they are curled up.

6d's?! What are they then? are they 6 other dimensions, not including our 3 or 4? Curled up... How sweet.... Curled up 3 dimensionally? So they do share our 3 d's?

Old Post 12-01-2001 12:36 PM
president doc

lets see...

einstien thingermijigger....

hypothesised point on the event horizon where if you enter(after surviving the gravitational tidal forces btw...lol), you could enter a wormhole.

ok, im gonna repeat something i said in another thread, imagine your a fish in a japanese pond...which is really shallow, essentially you live a 2d existence, you cant go up or down, no to get from one end to another, takes you ages and ages, but one day, this naughty kid comes along and picks you up our of your world, into the thrid dimension, he essentially takes you upwards, something you could never do in your limited existance before hand! then places you at the other end of the pond in a fraction of the time it would have taken you as a fish to swin across that pond, essentially, if we could access a higher dimension, we could cut out a lot of wasted journey time in this universe.
Remember however, that this is merely an analogy, it illustrates the point, but shouldnt be taken too far, a danger ive found is that often simplifications and diagrams can be over analysed.

blobs, no not that kind
imagine you were a cartoon on a piece of paper, you lived a 2 d existence, now imagine the artist put his finger through the piece of paper, the finger would appear as a circle of pink flesh as it intersected the 2d environment, as the finger moved, the disc would essentially change shape and form, once again, do not take too literally, most of all, it is unlikely that the complexity needed for intelligent life may not be possible within a 2 d universe if one were to exist, also, a cartoon on a piece of paper is still essentially 3d, paper has width and 3d structure..but i hope you get my point, if something were to intersect from a higher dimension, it is hypothesised that it would most probably take the form of..sigh...some sort of chaging 3d shape blobby blooby booby.

It is hypothesised in string theory, that in the big bang, the bang we know of was actaully jus the side effect of something so large it boggles the mind, the ripping of 10 d space into 4d space, which is ours, and 6 d space, which promply collapsed and curled up, whilst ours expanded to form the universe, when i said to smaller than one angstrom length earlier, i was mistaken, i cant remember teh term, but curled up to smaller than the width of one string is what it should be, hence it cannot interact with our universe.

Last edited by president doc on 12-01-2001 at 12:56 PM

Old Post 12-01-2001 12:53 PM
Venus

Your japanese fish example... (OK, try and follow me here) Wouldn't it take the same amount of time for the boy to lift the fish up, out of the water, across the surface, and down againa into the water, as it wold for the fish to swim the distance? Cos even in a wormhole, the hole has to cover some space... Or am I taking it too far?!

quote:
if something were to intersect from a higher dimension, it is hypothesised that it would most probably take the form of..sigh...some sort of chaging 3d shape blobby blooby booby.

Why would it be changing shape? Surely it would have a 'settled' shape when it entered the dimension?

Ya see? The big mass in my head wchich was confusion has now cleared considerably...

Old Post 12-01-2001 01:02 PM
president doc

you are taking it too far although, the boy from teh higher dimension so to speak can move alot faster than the fish can swim, soo..taking it too far, but..eh.

the finger through the paper would also be a static shape if it didnt move, the moment the object that is intersecting this universe starts to move, the shape would begin to change.

Old Post 12-01-2001 01:05 PM
Venus

quote:
the finger through the paper would also be a static shape if it didnt move, the moment the object that is intersecting this universe starts to move, the shape would begin to change.

I don't get it. If a boy stick a finger thru (into our dimension), and moves it, what would it (the "Shape") change to?!

Old Post 12-01-2001 01:08 PM
president doc

it would just be a randomly changing blob, just as the disk would change shape in cartoon land as the artist moved his finger in and out (dont even think it ) and changed the angles etc etc. of course, im not saying that there are boys living in higher dimensions that do that sort of thing, hell, couldnt comprehend what their existance would be like with this structure of darned brain! and luckily, it seems that it would be as difficult for them to interact with our universe as it would be for us to interact with theirs!

Old Post 12-01-2001 01:10 PM
Venus

Riiight..... That didn't really help....

Old Post 12-01-2001 02:56 PM
Jaffa, Kree!

in regards to the solar flare effecting the wormhole - would have to do with gravity, wouldn't it? or one of those 'forces', like the ripple in the water, that effects (anti)matter, gravitational forces, etc etc in the dimension or sub-space in which the wormhole exists?

(wow, i think i'm finally getting the hang of this 'using your brain' thing!! doesn't mean i'm right tho..)

Old Post 12-03-2001 03:43 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

A solar flare wouldn't cause an effect in gravitational forces, because if it did, the Stargate would be thrown off if there was a rainstorm above Cheyenne Mountain! A solar flare is a plume of hydrogen gas streamed off by electromagnetic disruptions of Sol's surface.

SEASON 5 SPOILER for Episode "Red Sky"

Another point of contention as to how a solar effect in normal space-time would affect the transdimensional realm of a wormhole occurs in this episode. It appears there is a dangerous effect if the "path" of a wormhole passes through a star. Just exacly how would this happen?

Actually, Jaffa Kree, your theory of gravity effects upon wormhole travel would have been better applied in this episode. Unfortunately, gating through the sun doesn't seem to have a temporal effect, just a physical one.

Old Post 12-03-2001 04:46 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote