Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Anubis
Pages (8): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mac
eeeeevil herbivore

Methinks someone takes themselves a little too seriously.

Oh! Maybe Anubis is...

Spoiler:
The Keeper!!

Or what puddy said. Anubis is just Anubis. We'll find out soon enough, anyway.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 10-06-2002 11:56 AM
Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mac Click here to Send Mac a Private Message Find more posts by Mac Add Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

I already said that and he so is.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 10-06-2002 01:07 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

quote:
Originally posted by _.:?nubis:._
Do u realise that theory is full of holes?

Do you realise that Goa'uld was taking the piss?

Anubis, who is he? He is Stargates Darth Vader. Reasons why David Palffy was chosen to play the part at the moment is 1) he apparantly had a really good strut. 2) he was a good actor to work with when he played Sokar. Why is he their Darth Vader? Well because we cannot see his face and it means they can place any actor behind the mask in the future. Perhaps they might reveal his face in the feature film and perhaps try and get a feature film actor to play the part of Anubis? It's plausible.

However, I have to say that by guessing that he is actually someone like Sokar or In fact Apophis is getting your hopes up too high, and false hopes at that end. Is there some reason that in this show we cannot simply have a new villian? Can we not have someone who has not been on Stargate before? He doesnt have to be a reincarnation of anyone. Reincarnating shows a lack of ideas on behalf of the peope who come up with new ideas. There is a whole wealth of Ancient Gods, Egyptian nad other who can be villians/Goa'uld in Stargate SG-1. So why limit ourselves? And on the note of Ancient Gods.

quote:
ANUBIS..............who the fcuk comes up with the names?

cuz it sounds soooooooooo familiar to..................yup. ANUS.

Anubis is an Ancient god of Egypt. No one came up with such a name and its a good thing that TPTB did not see this connection and alter his name slightly. It is a good thing they stayed true to the Mythology. It has been done before. In "The Mummy Returns" it was felt that Nefertiti sounded too much like Titties and so the decided to turn away from Mythology and change the name to Nefertiri (not 100% sure of the final name, but I think it was silly to change the name, its a slap in the face to Ancient Cultures).

As I said before Anubis is a name that predates The English Language and most likely the word Anus. There is no connection between the two words apart from the fact both of the words contain 4 of the same letters.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 10-06-2002 04:24 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DJ Dott Matrix

MC Bubble Jet is an amazing name- unlike urs.

awrite smith a get it noo - fair doo's
good NUKE.

Old Post 10-06-2002 08:33 PM
DJ Dott Matrix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DJ Dott Matrix Click here to Send DJ Dott Matrix a Private Message Find more posts by DJ Dott Matrix Add DJ Dott Matrix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Anubis is a translation of Anpu(no vowels so it could be enpu, inpu, onpu or unpu) just like Apophis is a translation of Apep. In that same way Sokar (Sokaris) is also known as Seker, but he could also be Soker or Suker (lol). Who is this Nefertiti you speak of? Nafertum?

Old Post 10-07-2002 01:29 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

For crying out loud, amateurs, would ya listen to me!?

Did I just say that out loud?

quote:
Originally posted by Lord ?okar
Anubis is a translation of Anpu(no vowels so it could be enpu, inpu, onpu or unpu)

Anubis was spelt, by the Egyptians, as Inpu. Not Enpu, Onpu or Unpu, and there is no doubt as to that. I know that the first letter was an I because it is spelt with the hieroglyph of a reed feather, which is also used to spell the word Amen, for which the Egyptian transliteration is "imn". Same first letter.
quote:
Who is this Nefertiti you speak of? Nafertum?

The film, "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns". Played by Rachel Weisz. Go and search for it at www.imdb.com. And I suppose, depending on how you spell Nefertiri, it could be seen as a real (ancient Egyptian) name, translating as "beauty of Ra".

Last edited by Venus on 10-07-2002 at 09:31 AM

Old Post 10-07-2002 07:25 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Seems as if you've been swotting up on your course Venus.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 10-08-2002 05:43 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Anpu (read the search description) and Inpu (read the search description) I don't care how the Egyptians spelt it (Yinepu), I was talking about how we spell it.

Old Post 10-09-2002 06:48 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I'm gonna say this one more time, then you can believe what you want. The Ancient Egyptians spelt Anubis "Inpu". I know this because I can read the hieroglyphs that they wrote in.

Phonetically does not mean how it's spelt, it's how it's said (in AE).

Old Post 10-09-2002 07:28 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

Yeah, she does know what she's talking about. I have seen proof.

Old Post 10-09-2002 06:51 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

I was under the impression that Egyptians spelt everything phonetically.

quote:
Yeah, she does know what she's talking about. I have seen proof.
No doubt. All I was saying is that I see Anubis: Reed, Nile, step, quail chick, and assumed that the reed made an open A sound because of all the references I've seen have Anpu(Anubis) {Heiroglyphs}: Description on them and the same glyph on Amon and how the English translation of Amon is pronounced.

Old Post 10-09-2002 09:08 PM
Goa`uld
Descended God

quote:

Do you realise that Goa'uld was taking the piss?

No i wasn't.

quote:

Do u realise that theory is full of holes?

No it isn't

quote:
Selmac said Anubis was 'killed', what has Apophis got to do with anything?

Hell there was a Jaffa in the stargate movie called "Anubis" too. It's a name that is associate with death, and would be very intimidating to have that name.
Plus Apophis isn't fully himself anymore, so he no longer identifies himself with that name.

quote:

The Replicators were made of the standard Goa'uld building materials, nothing special

I'd say Goa'uld building material is pretty bloody special!

quote:

knowing Apophis as we all do don't u think he would have been a bit more melodramatic in his return then just sending Osiris

I think being shadowy and mysterious is a pretty cool tactic for him. If he showed up himself the other Goa'uld may have been able to find out he was 'Apophis' and so they wouldn't accept him.

quote:
Also How much metal was left when apophis's mega ship was blown to hell by the self destrut?

What do you mean? The metal just dissapeared? I don't think so...

quote:
sorry if that was a bit rude but my point is the writers have revived apophis one too many times as is, do u think they would keep doing it?

You don't understand his character - he's MEANT to come back! That's what Apophis does.

Old Post 10-09-2002 09:30 PM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

He's got a point. Apophis has to come back, I mean its his job. Here's an idea.

In another Universe. Jack and Anubis are fighting in the pyramid of Abydos. Upstairs Ra and Daniel are struggling. Jack gets the upper hand over Anubis more than he imagined. Anubis knowing this decides to retreat to the Rings. He activates them and is ringed aboard the Pyramid ship. Daniel is transoperted down to the ground Ra's hand is cut off by the ring. Ra decided to make an exit and Anubis stands with him as they retreat.

Suddenly the ring transporters are activated and a nuke is uploaded. Ra knows he wont have time to jump in the sarcophagus. he quickly jumps host to to Anubis and in the last few seconds he runs off behind a long draping curtain. All that is seen is a flash of light as Ra's former host lays watching this bright light. And then another bright light as the Nuke is set off.

Where did Ra go? he accessed a quantum mirror and was sent into our Universe. And the rest is history...

Old Post 10-09-2002 10:05 PM
Goa`uld
Descended God

if Anubis (Ra's sidekick) was a Goa'uld, and his upper torso was removed by the rings, then he still be intact within his host, and if he quickly jumped into a nearby human (there were a lot of kids on that ship) then he somehow could have made it out of there.

I also think Ra teleported himself out of there, because of that strange asgard glow that enveloped his head just prior to detonation.

Old Post 10-10-2002 08:13 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I just can't let it go ...

Thank you, Goa'uld, for giving me hope.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord ?okar
All I was saying is that I see Anubis: Reed, Nile, step, quail chick, and assumed that the reed made an open A sound because of all the references I've seen have Anpu(Anubis) {Heiroglyphs}: Description on them and the same glyph on Amon and how the English translation of Amon is pronounced.

The English translation comes from the Roman derivation of the AE, there's not much reason to assume that the word would still be the same - if you look at how words have changed from old english to modern day, say from 1500's onwards, it's quite significant, so from 3000 years ago is quite a stretch...

quote:
I was under the impression that Egyptians spelt everything phonetically.

How did you come to that impression? Did someone tell you, did you think to question it? We can't know how the AE's spoke, we have no proof that they read things as they spelt them; they left out most vowels, but they may have been put in in speech. Also, there was probably a whole variaton of accents, not only up and down the country (as you get in any country today), but also over centuries. Similarly, no doubt there would be words that were spelt and said differently; it happens in every language today. For example in english - the word knife. If someone knew the values of all the letters, it doesn't mean they'd pronounce it correctly.

We only know how words were spelt. And my point (I just took a while to get there) is that the reed feather = i, and Anubis was written Inpu, and Amen as Imn.

Old Post 10-10-2002 08:32 AM