Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > SG-1: Secular Humanist propaganda?
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

quote:
Originally posted by Wingless Flyer
The trick to it is being strong enough in the mind not to fall into the religious 'trap'. You are more likely to take the easy way out (god) if you are scared or near death...

I like the message that SG1 spreads, we need more like it to help us ease away from religion...

Ok, I've tried to hold my tongue but why the hell do so many of you despise religion so much?

She hitched a ride to misery

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 06-08-2002 01:27 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

I would think its the general idea that people must follow and believe in something that was written by man, which wouldnt be a problem, but is without proof or experiment.

Old Post 06-08-2002 01:56 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I wasn't actually sure what WF meant in the bit you quoted KC? I suppose maybe he just means that you're seen as 'stronger' if you make it through life without (belief of?) guidance from a divine being? What message is SG giving to 'ease us away from religion'?

We don't hate religion, we just dislike... aspects of it (or some of us do). And don't hold your tongue, feel free to yell.

Old Post 06-08-2002 02:26 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nug
Melon

Yeah but no one said must.
Imo people who strongly advocate atheism, are as bad as the one's that are overly religious and tell you to repent.
I'm a strong believer in letting people believe whatever the hell they want to, because I don't like being told what to and what not to believe, and I suspect others don't either.

Old Post 06-08-2002 02:27 PM
nug is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nug Click here to Send nug a Private Message Find more posts by nug Add nug to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

I fell the same nug, I don't mind what epople believe. It's just that I can't stand people completely bashing religion. If you don't like it you don't like it, whatever, that's your own choice. But some people (not most of you, I don't think) seem to think of it as evil and stupid and people who believe in any religion are the same.

But I really was curious as to why so many people hated any form of religion so much. Hating religion and simply not believing it are two different things.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 06-08-2002 03:52 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingless Flyer

I would have no problem with religion if it didn't get in the way of truth, the church as to much power, religion is good for people but when it starts getting in the way then I start objecting strongly. IMO the era we do away with religion the better, imo we have been deluded for to long and it has got out of hand, let people believe what they want to believe, just don't let it get in the way of the advancement of mankind....

Old Post 06-08-2002 04:00 PM
Wingless Flyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingless Flyer Click here to Send Wingless Flyer a Private Message Find more posts by Wingless Flyer Add Wingless Flyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
advancedatheist

quote:
Originally posted by Wingless Flyer
IMO the era we do away with religion the better, imo we have been deluded for to long and it has got out of hand, let people believe what they want to believe, just don't let it get in the way of the advancement of mankind....

Too bad "political correctness" is interfering with a rational discussion of the harm caused by certain religions. For example, CNN's Lou Dobbs has gotten into metaphorical hot water by identifying America's enemies not as "terrorists," but as "Islamists," namely, radical Muslims who want to force everyone to adopt their version of Islam, or else. He's absolutely right, of course.

BTW, what religion do the Abydonians and other human-offshoot societies now profess after the SGC has liberated them from Goa'uld theocracy? If the civilian population knew of the situation and had access to 'Gate travel, competing sectarians would be trying to send missionaries to these planets. The absence of a need for a substitute religion implies that humans don't need religion to live successfully.

Old Post 06-08-2002 07:45 PM
advancedatheist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for advancedatheist Click here to Send advancedatheist a Private Message Find more posts by advancedatheist Add advancedatheist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Do we live successfully with religion?

The Abydonians never had a religion so much, as in a "belief", they knew their God existed, I suppose it was just debateable that he was a God, which isn't exactly religion, it's just a very dictatorial type ruler. I think.

Old Post 06-08-2002 07:50 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
advancedatheist

quote:
Originally posted by Venus
Do we live successfully with religion?

The Abydonians never had a religion so much, as in a "belief", they knew their God existed, I suppose it was just debateable that he was a God, which isn't exactly religion, it's just a very dictatorial type ruler. I think.

As far as the Japanese pre-1945 were concerned, Emperor Hirohito might as well have been a Goa'uld. General MacArthur disestablished Hirohito's godhood while allowing him to keep his throne as a symbolic figure, though just a man. I don't think the Japanese were socially-psychologically destroyed by the loss of their god.

So, really, do humans "need" gods to live successfully? Real social examples seem to support the Secular Humanist message of SG-1.

Old Post 06-08-2002 08:02 PM
advancedatheist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for advancedatheist Click here to Send advancedatheist a Private Message Find more posts by advancedatheist Add advancedatheist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

It's interesting actually. I am of the opionon that religion is a stage that we must go through in our development as an advanced sentient species, but that we are approaching the end of it (eg, nothing much will exist within the next two or three hundred years), and this is why we are now questioning beliefs in Gods, we are getting along on our own now, understanding the mysteries ourself now. For all we know, some alien may descend in his ship and say, hello, my name is Jesus, the time has come to show you my true face....

Old Post 06-08-2002 08:14 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Seperation of church and state.
Do what you want...
But religion has no business whatsoever poking its nose into science.

Reminds me once of the pope talking to Stephen Hawking, he said he respected what he did etc and should continue his work,
Do all the research you want into the begining of the universe, just dont probe the earliest moments, or try to work on the moments before, as that would be blasphemous.
Of course Hawking was polite, and didnt take a word to heart, its none of anyones business to interfere with science....

There are many examples of this... anyhu.

Old Post 06-08-2002 08:30 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by advancedatheist
As far as the Japanese pre-1945 were concerned, Emperor Hirohito might as well have been a Goa'uld.

That's what I'm saying, it's similar to Ra, and yet no considered a religion.

And Bose, you think if Jesus was an alien, then, well, after he revealed hiomself, it wouldn't be a religion, would it? (Cos there'd be no belief involved, only knowledge.) But then you'd get into was the alien omnipotent, etc tec...

Old Post 06-08-2002 08:35 PM
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

That's it though, as understanding of man increases, the "need" for a God decreases. If Jesus was an Alien, I'd still hate him and still want to beat him up for all the suffering caused in his name, when clearly he could have prevented it, though I am rambling all the way off topic.

Old Post 06-08-2002 08:42 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

No, if Jesus was an alien, it wouldn't destroy a religion. Religion itself can be more than what happens after we die but more as in how do I live, how do I treat others, etc. Which in my opinion Jesus had great insight into how to do so.

My point: You can follow a teaching and think it to be great and not believe in a supernatural being.

Old Post 06-08-2002 09:04 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by Lee
No, if Jesus was an alien, it wouldn't destroy a religion.

But religion is a belief. If you knew (indubitably) then it would cease to be a religion.

Old Post 06-08-2002 09:15 PM