Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > is no one going to talk about Abyss? (spoilers)
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Otis
Egyptaholic

I think Brad Wright wrote this one and he is definitely more fine-tuned in the way that he shows the relationships. Solitudes is another one of his.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 07-22-2002 11:54 AM
Otis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Otis Click here to Send Otis a Private Message Find more posts by Otis Add Otis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

he wrote solitudes.. i never knew that?!

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 07-22-2002 12:58 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

I'm not totally convinced Daniel gave the idea to Sam, but I am totally convinced he gave the idea to Teal'c, that was imho obvious.

I do like that Jack wasn't super-hero - as was said, no one can hold out forever. He knew that he was close to breaking and revealing Shallan's betrayal to Ba'al. Realisitic.

what does iirc mean?

Old Post 07-22-2002 04:18 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

I loved the holding cell and way Jack was being tortured, finally a Goa'uld being a real Goa'uld. The talks between Jack and Daniel were pretty cool too, and I'm glad Jack didn't ascend, it'd be pretty cliche.

Old Post 07-22-2002 10:01 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

IIRC - "If I Remember Correctly"...

According to Starguide, Jack spent 4 months in an Iraqi prison...

There's still only so much a human can take...

...Oh, and for those aspiring military personnel:

It's not for everyone.

Depending on the job you end up doing and what unit you end up in, it can range from a "civilian job" you don't have to decide what you wear to work for al the way down (up?) to a ritualistic fight for survival...

...Though usually, it seems to be somewhere in between.

A lot of military service, in my experience, is sort of a meritocracy...

...you get out of it what you put into it.

A lot of effort and some talent tinged with luck and it's great.

You don't like what you're doing...

...and it's a living hell for some.

And it's never the same for any two people... even assigned to the same unit, job, and there at the same time.

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 07-22-2002 10:54 PM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kmg

quote:
Originally posted by puddykat
i thought mike shanks had more of a sense of humour this time round

He was definitely smiling more at the end.

Old Post 07-23-2002 02:06 AM
kmg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kmg Click here to Send kmg a Private Message Find more posts by kmg Add kmg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Captn Carter
So I can do this....

Hmm, Danny-boy. Sorry, he's just SO gorgeous without his glasses on.
*coughs*

I think it was disturbing.. I mean, sure we know the Goa'ulds are really evil and such, but we've neva actually 'seen it' before. The only other ep I can think of that came close to Goa'uld brutality was Sokar.
Hmm, I'm in mixed minds. lol. I mean, I love seeing my fav people in the whole hurt/comfort position, but it still makes me cringe. hehe

For a little bit of Aussie with your Sci-fi
Austr-alien.com

Old Post 07-23-2002 09:23 AM
Captn Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Captn Carter Click here to Send Captn Carter a Private Message Visit Captn Carter's homepage! Find more posts by Captn Carter Add Captn Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otis
Egyptaholic

I watched Forever in a Day again last night and I swear Danny had on the same sweater in Abyss. Just thought it was weird....

Old Post 07-23-2002 01:56 PM
Otis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Otis Click here to Send Otis a Private Message Find more posts by Otis Add Otis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam K
Ice Queen

I know I'm a little late here, but I just wanted to chime in, that I thought this was one of the best episodes ever.

I enjoyed Daniel's appearance; seeing him again made me realize I do actually miss the guy, despite my baiting of Danielites who refuse to acknowledge Jonas' contribution to the show. The scenes Daniel and O'Neill had were excellent.

Anyone notice how Ba'al was torturing the host of Canaan (O'Neill), when Ba'al was the God of Canaan in the Bible? Heh.

Also, Canaan (the Tok'ra) seems to be a coward. This is the second time he's bailed on his host.

Old Post 07-23-2002 06:33 PM
Sam K is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam K Click here to Send Sam K a Private Message Visit Sam K's homepage! Find more posts by Sam K Add Sam K to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

quote:
Originally posted by Sam K
Anyone notice how Ba'al was torturing the host of Canaan (O'Neill), when Ba'al was the God of Canaan in the Bible? Heh.

I knew I had heard that name before, and I was sure it was biblical. Didn't some profit or biblical figure disprove the exsistance of Ba'al and proved G-d, with something to do with offerings to the both of them and something happened? It was something like that.

Old Post 07-23-2002 07:00 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ArcChaser
flightless water fowl

I don't know if it makes a diff or not, but the closed caption spelling was Kanan and not Canaan. A trick to throw us off??

Old Post 07-24-2002 12:02 AM
ArcChaser is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ArcChaser Click here to Send ArcChaser a Private Message Find more posts by ArcChaser Add ArcChaser to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otis
Egyptaholic

I thought Canaan was a place, like land of Canaan. Looked it up:
Journey to Canaan. The Israelites are reported to have spent 40 years wandering in the desert between Egypt and Canaan. They lived under harsh conditions and often complained to Moses. The people also became impatient and frustrated, and they challenged Moses's authority as a religious and political leader. In addition, they questioned their faith in a God they could not see.

Last edited by Otis on 07-24-2002 at 01:16 AM

Old Post 07-24-2002 01:14 AM
bigorangefrog

Eeeeh, whatever the dual meanings, Abyss was excellent, even watching it on a rubbishy little Windows Media Player screen after waiting two hours. What made this one of the better eps for me was, of course, Jack and Daniel. Ba'al was nowhere NEAR as irritating or as cliched as any of the other system lords, and he was.. ..reasonably believable.

RDA did a good job on the acting front, as did the rest of the gang. The only thing with Abyss is, it conformed to the constant to-ing and fro-ing from a particular room or place that seems to be a staple in SG. Back and forth...back and forth....

I'd have cut off my right arm to see Kanan doing his thing while having Jack as his host at the start. I felt a little cheated...

Old Post 07-24-2002 02:06 AM
bigorangefrog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigorangefrog Click here to Send bigorangefrog a Private Message Visit bigorangefrog's homepage! Find more posts by bigorangefrog Add bigorangefrog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhemagirl
bendecida

Re Lee:

In the bible ba'al was disproved by Elijah, he stood up against the 600 prophets of ba'al who called upon him and failed, when he called upon the Lord the offering was consumed with fire as were the false ba'al prophets.

Aiya elenion ancalima!

Old Post 07-24-2002 07:35 AM
rhemagirl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rhemagirl Click here to Send rhemagirl a Private Message Visit rhemagirl's homepage! Find more posts by rhemagirl Add rhemagirl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

mabe i was distrated,or tired, or had been watching too much stargate at a time, but really... not all that impressed. Sure, i ike it, but its not suddenly in my top 5 or whatever. i'll watch it again, maybe my opinion will change...

Nice t see Daniel.. he looked both more relaxed (ie: MS n the role of Danny) and tense (the character of daniel himself).. frsutrated that he couldn't openly help, and having him watch Jack go through th torture..(lame, IMO. and Jack gave in too quickly).

*sad not to see jack as a Tok'ra. i was under the impression he spent qite a bit of time as a Tok'ra, not just one episode.
*good to see Jack being effecte by the sarc. Haven't seen him beat up someone like that since Red Sky.
*what was up with the slave girl? how was she communicating with him - was it Ba'al? if so, how did he know? because he *didn't* know to start with that was he reason the tok'ra came back.
*still think Danny and Sam were closer than the show is making out. it's aaaaaaaallabout Jack and danny... i think Sam would apprecate it a lot more if SHE had some sort of contact with him, than Jack does. And that is in purely NON shipper POV.

*sigh* slowly catching up......

Old Post 08-04-2002 05:21 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote