Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Differences between Stargate and Rings
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Slider

Question Differences between Stargate and Rings

Hello,

what a the differences between Stargate and Ring-Transporter?Why need a ring transporter a few rings and the stargate just one?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 08-09-2002 08:05 PM
Slider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slider Click here to Send Slider a Private Message Find more posts by Slider Add Slider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

because the stargate goes horizontally so you can walk through it and get your particles broken up.. but with a ring transpoter.. as you are normally going up or down it has to pass over you
if you get what i mean

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 08-09-2002 08:13 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kristy
Go suck a lemon

Actually, I believe the difference between the two is that the stargate is a long range transportation device, it has an event horizon and because of the distance of travel things must be dematerialized and then reconstructed on the other side.

The ring transporters on the other hand are a short range transportation device, as in from ship to planet or ship to ship, it does not have an event horizon or use the same technology as the stargate due to it only transporting things over a short distance.

Hope this helps

Old Post 08-09-2002 09:36 PM
Kristy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kristy Click here to Send Kristy a Private Message Visit Kristy's homepage! Find more posts by Kristy Add Kristy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

Besides stargates are kinda in short supply - you can't have a stargate on every teltac and mother ship and whatall.

Old Post 08-09-2002 11:15 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

OK...

Rings transport a fixed volume encompassed by the rings both ways...

...A Stargate transports an unlimited volume one way.

Why?

A ring transporter probably has a limited range because of the two-way effect and the assumed difficulty of creating two wormholes (one for each direction) so close together... plus the transport time to go from Stargate A to Stargate B and then Stargate B to Stargate A for the replaced mass preventing exchanging masses in a timely manner.

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 08-10-2002 02:31 AM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

The stargate creates a wormhole and can travel huge distances.
The Rings don't and can't. They also can't travel through matter, they need another set of rings to complete the journey. They probably use more than one ring to gather all of the information about what is being transported and to break it down and what not.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 08-10-2002 09:52 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

if you put all the posts together... we sound like jack having an idea (my silly one) then sam and jonas corecting him

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 08-10-2002 10:01 AM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
itssoLARGE

Stargates have to be on different planets to work.... the Stargate itself has a system where you can't dial another Stargate that's on the same planet that you are on. Since most transfers used by rings are on the same planet a Stargate can't be used. Also the Goa'uld don't know how to make a gate.

Old Post 08-13-2002 03:32 AM
itssoLARGE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for itssoLARGE Click here to Send itssoLARGE a Private Message Find more posts by itssoLARGE Add itssoLARGE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

In Last Stand did the rings fly out of the teltak into the path of the oncoming escape pod and sweep it up in that wave as the pod passed through it? The same thing happendd in Fail Safe. I would like to see that happen.

Old Post 09-23-2002 04:33 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scarab19

Location: From the deepest inner mind to the Outer Limits. Please stand by.

However it works, the reasoning is about long-range and short-range. Why use the amount of power required to send you a million light-years to send you less than a mile?

Old Post 09-23-2002 07:13 AM
Scarab19 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scarab19 Click here to Send Scarab19 a Private Message Find more posts by Scarab19 Add Scarab19 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

quote:
Originally posted by Scarab19
However it works, the reasoning is about long-range and short-range. Why use the amount of power required to send you a million light-years to send you less than a mile?

...less than a mile, yes. But it does it instantaneously, requiring no physical effort (ever notice that Jaffa don't have an equivalent to a FRED other than a board and two sticks?) while facing radical changes in elevation and ignoring obstacles.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 09-23-2002 04:09 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

To be brief i can say this, the rings use the technology in the first stage of stargate transport, matter deconstruction, this is the same thing we use in our funky new transporters (designed and made in australia) the rings could be long range transporters, if u had some kind of ring relay device positioned every so often in space. The stargate is far more complex than the rings.
ps how would energy beings like Oma, Shifu Orlan use the stargate, i mean what happens during molecular deconstruction to beings that exist only in a state of trans-dimensional energy?

Old Post 09-25-2002 03:38 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

quote:
Also the Goa'uld don't know how to make a gate. [/B]
U know this how? if the Goa'uld got their hands on a Tolan, which is most likely, they would, and the rings use stargate technology so that quote is pure conjecture.

Old Post 09-25-2002 03:40 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Barry
A big honking space gun!

^^
Eh well they have had 'their hands' on the Tollan for quite a while but I still don`t see any Goa'uld built Gates..... yet.

Old Post 09-25-2002 02:59 PM
Barry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barry Click here to Send Barry a Private Message Find more posts by Barry Add Barry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

And why would they bother anyway?

Old Post 09-25-2002 10:31 PM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote