Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Jaffa in the movie.
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Barry
A big honking space gun!

Question Jaffa in the movie.

I was watching the DVD Director's Cut -which was just released here- and in one of the cut scences you get a really good frontal of the two Jaffa that Ra is in a snit with for letting Daniel and co. get away. And you can see they don't have slits at their stomachs for the young Goa'uld's pouch. You can also see this in the cut version when Ra throws one of the Jaffa up against the wall. I was just wondering if anyone had any theorys on this.

Last edited by Barry on 10-21-2001 at 02:03 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 10-21-2001 01:59 PM
Barry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barry Click here to Send Barry a Private Message Find more posts by Barry Add Barry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

Post Glad you asked

Well, beleive it or not. In the Pilto for SG-1 O'Neill confirms that the Jaffa that were killed in the embarkation room are not he same as the people from Abydos. They were humans like us. Only Ra was Alien. To this day it has never been explained as to why they were different.

Old Post 10-21-2001 02:09 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

maybe Ra just didn't want to have kids?

What it really is, is that the movie producers made Ra's guards humans that lived for a long long time because of Ra's technology. The Jaffa concept was invented by the writers of Children Of the Gods, probably when they conceived the Teal'c character.

Old Post 10-21-2001 02:13 PM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

I just wish that the producers of SG-1 would make some type of explanation as to why they have Jaffa and Ra never. It would be good to see.

Old Post 10-21-2001 02:16 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Barry
A big honking space gun!

I'll need to look out for that bit next time I watch it. Yeah I can also see Goa`uld view as well.

Old Post 10-21-2001 02:18 PM
Barry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barry Click here to Send Barry a Private Message Find more posts by Barry Add Barry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana
I just wish that the producers of SG-1 would make some type of explanation as to why they have Jaffa and Ra never. It would be good to see.

Perhaps, he used "Junior Goa'ulds" as his personal guard...

Like that Lord Tippicanoe that came to represent Skaara/Apophis Jr...

It wasn't like he brought an invasion force with him, more like a few protectors, his personal "yacht", and a visit to a "friendly" or conquered world...

Old Post 10-21-2001 03:40 PM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I hate to spoil the illusion, but it was probably just another production slip thing. From movie to series. Like how all the other Goa'uld speak English, and have less 'deep' voices.

Old Post 10-21-2001 03:41 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oliver

I agree with Venus that its probably a movie to series transition thing, and even if it's not, I don't think that any storylines in the near future will explain it.

Shame, it would be good to hear a little more about Ra in the series, like where his forces and all the goa'uld under his control went

Old Post 10-21-2001 03:54 PM
Oliver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oliver Click here to Send Oliver a Private Message Visit Oliver's homepage! Find more posts by Oliver Add Oliver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

I know it probably was a production slip, but they could easily come up with something to cover their asses in this case. It could have been that Ra freed the strongest Jaffa from their role as a Jaffa and brought them forth to become semi gods. They could be considered semi gods. This wouldn't make them as powerful as real gods (Goa'uld), but it would still give them a higher stauture than the Jaffa. Before the reformation of this forum I made a theory that Ra rewarded the strongest Jaffa from other system lords by removing their symbiote and placing them in a sarcohagus. A Jaffa without a symbiote who is placed in a Sarcophagus is returned to a human form (See episode "Hathor" where O'Neill is returned from being a Jaffa to a human again). I believe that Ra made these Jaffa feel privilaged by removing their symbiote and what not, re-humanising them and then making them feel good about what they are doing by raising them to a higher stature than that of a Jaffa. Demi God or semi-god would be appropiate. However, not all of his warriors were perfect and some had to be punished (see Stargate where a failed warrior is killed by Ra). Feel free to rip this theory to shreds. I will then re-digest it and make it even stronger than before.

Old Post 10-21-2001 03:56 PM
Venus

lol, OK!

Main problem I have with your theory is that the Goa'uld (I'd hav thought especially Ra), consider themselves way above humans. I mean if you imagine that Ra was served by ... I dunno, robots, or ... horses or something, you wouldn't bother 'reward' a horse, no doubt it's happy serving you. And a robot doesn't have feelings. This example is crap, but hopefully you get my point. Besides, Jaffa having a prim'ta (hey, that rhymes!) is beneficial to the Goa'uld; helps their kind to spread. So, it just doesn't seem he'd bother 'reward' them.

My example make any kinda sense?

Old Post 10-21-2001 04:05 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

The way I answered this was to say that Ra believed he was Special. He was the head Sysytem lord and anything that made him look different would be benficial. Whenever you see men who bears the resemblance of Jaffa because they wear Horus Guard and Anubis Guard Helemts, and they don't have puch slits in their stomachs then you can easily recognise ra's Personal Guards. You example is good venus, but Ra did not reward them for their benefit, but for his own benefit to make himself feel more special and unique as he would be the only Goa'uld to have a human personal guards. The Goa'uld are evil. They would say that his Warriors were being rewarded to keep them content. Just as the Jaffa believe they are being rewarded by their gods they are not. They are actually being used, but the Jaffa don't know this (or at least most of them don't).

Old Post 10-21-2001 04:17 PM
Venus

quote:
Sysytem

quote:
They are actually being used, but the Jaffa don't know this (or at least most of them don't).

But they're not, if they're not carrying symbiotes. Besides, symbiotes make them stronger physically, Ra would want that, he wouldn't be bothered getting new servants all the time. One might eventually betray him. Just like I did. Ooops, that wasn't meant to have slipped out...

Old Post 10-21-2001 05:11 PM
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

I think I lost what you were trying to say there.

Old Post 10-21-2001 05:27 PM
Venus

OK, if they're not carrying symbiotes, explain how they're being used.

Old Post 10-21-2001 08:53 PM
Goa`uld
Descended God

quote:
It wasn't like he brought an invasion force with him, more like a few protectors, his personal "yacht", and a visit to a "friendly" or conquered world...

That is a very important thing to note too.
He didn't come to Abydos to pick a fight, he may not have brought a real army.
Remember, there were only a handful of Horus Guards.

Maybe Anubis was a Jaffa.. he was stronger, and you couldn't see his stomach.
He was the only one that put up a decent fight.

Old Post 10-21-2001 09:17 PM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote