Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Unnatural Selection (s6 spoilers)
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

i'd say it was a god idea, maybe his method was bad, but he definatly had to do it. It only takes one replicator and fifth wouldn't view creating more as wrong. He'd have to do it, it would be in his programming and then they'd be back to square one.

Last edited by dr.taz on 12-07-2002 at 01:45 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-07-2002 01:42 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam
Supergirl

Not necessarily. His humanity would stop him from creating more, as the replicators replicated so they could cause mass destruction. And if he did make more, they wouldn't be all evil.

And come on, did you see the look on The Fifth's face at the end? How can anyone leave that behind? Bless his cotton socks.

blog

Old Post 12-07-2002 01:45 PM
Sam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam Click here to Send Sam a Private Message Visit Sam's homepage! Find more posts by Sam Add Sam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

but he wouldn't view creating more as being a bad thing. he could just be thinking that it would be alright if i create trillions more cos they'll be like me and have more humanity, but remember, they didn't entirely fix the flaw. The problem was he wasn't human enough. if you get what i mean?

i wished they didn't leave him behind either all the same. he was sweet

Old Post 12-08-2002 09:32 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul C

Here is my full review:-

Unnatural Selection (***1/2)

Sam: "Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise!"

Unnatural Selection is one of the episodes I had been looking forward to. Billed as the battle to end all battles between the Replicators and the Asgard, it was a bit of a let down was then that it wasn't and the episode was totally character driven. This is not a bad thing at all but I would have liked to see the battle as the Asgard retreated from the planet. We start off the episode with a lot of humour, fantastically written and acted by all involved especially the ship naming scene and the ice cream scene. Other great scenes include when O'Neill speaks to Hammond. The look on the old General's face shows just how much of a family they have become. When SG-1 open fire on the human Replicators with no hesitation and the final scene with the look of betrayal and hurt on Fifth's face, great stuff.

The episode is in fact a great episode with what is there, it is however what is not there that pulls the episode down in my estimation. It runs for 30 minutes absolutely fantastically, but then it all wraps very, very quickly. On second viewing I worked out why. The episode has no middle. It has a beginning up to the point they wake up on the ship and then it goes straight into the end with them getting Fifth's help, the 37 hours they were out was the middle of the episode! Of course this is down to the restraints of a 45 minute slot, however the writers knew what material they had and should have made this episode as a two parter in its own right. I would have had a 3 parter, Prometheus then Unnatural Selection I & II. Doing that this episode could have had a lot more material in it and thus been given much better pacing and a proper middle section. So what would I have liked too see? Well to make the episode really dark seeing all the characters personal hells would have been great, plus more psychological attacks by the human replicators, more building up of Fifth's humanity and a personally battle with himself to help or stay with his brethren, plus for the action man in me there could have been a gun battle as SG-1 ran back to the ship with Replicator bugs being made out of the ground!

Again the SFX were very strong and the music great again, the part where the ship was landing was exceptional and certainly cinematic in quality. The acting is good throughout the episode, especially from the guy playing Fifth, his facial expressions were spot on. We all love Thor so it was good to see quite a bit of him.

Overall then Unnatural Selection is a good episode that suffers from time restraints more than anything else (and more than any episode I can think of in the past). It does the job of writing out the Replicators but with the option of bringing them back again if wanted. It was a risky decision by the writers to have our team use someone?s humanity against them and the overall tone of the episode was dark (which I always like, the more adult and dark the better IMO!). I'm only guessing here, but I would expect the Replicators were written out to free up the Asgard for planned future events, will be interesting to see where it goes and now there is a season 7 whether they decide to bring back the Replicators as well.

Synopsis & rate the episode at my site.

Old Post 12-12-2002 07:14 PM
Paul C is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul C Click here to Send Paul C a Private Message Visit Paul C's homepage! Find more posts by Paul C Add Paul C to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote