Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > The Tollan (Season 5 spoilers)
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sailfin
Dragon Lady

The Tollan

Does anyone know why the tollan were killed off. I can honestly say i did not like that season five episode. It left you wondering what the hell happened, did any of the tollan survive? and will we see nareem again. It also makes you wonder, if the tollan were such an advanced civilisation, why then did they not find a way to adapt there weapons to the new shields of the Goauld ships, instead they make advanced phase shifting bombs for them. Why did they not just use them to destroy the Goauld?
or maybe i just think to much!!

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-14-2001 10:39 AM
sailfin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sailfin Click here to Send sailfin a Private Message Visit sailfin's homepage! Find more posts by sailfin Add sailfin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

nah you dont think to much!
its befuddled me.. i mean im kinda glad narim is dead but i dont understand why they didnt try to escape.
i think the creators just wanted to get us interested or shock us!

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 12-14-2001 11:56 AM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nug
Melon

You don't like any competition for Jack that's why puddy :P
I liked Narim, and I don't think he's dead

But to answer your question sailfin, I'd say it's just part of the whole storyarc thing. Like how they killed off Martouf, Kawalsky and a whole bunch of other dead people.
I didn't much care for what happened in the episode either.

Old Post 12-14-2001 02:42 PM
nug is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nug Click here to Send nug a Private Message Find more posts by nug Add nug to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Ah, I disagree. I liked the episode, they had good continuity, and I felt it had some purpose other than just to kill off the Tollan (other than Divide and Conquer)

Spoiler:
namely to show Tanith again, explain how he escaped, introduce the 'bigger badder Goa'uld', and (although this probably wasn't the writers' main concern) to raise interesting issues. Also, I get the feeling it'll be resolved in another ep...?

quote:
Originally posted by sailfin
why then did they not find a way to adapt there weapons to the new shields of the Goauld ships, instead they make advanced phase shifting bombs for them. Why did they not just use them to destroy the Goauld?

Sailfin, I don't blame the Tollan (yes, I know you all probably don't agree! )I think that they wouldn't have had much chance of attacking the Goa'uld, for the same reason they chose to help them; if the Goa'uld so much as wondered if the Tollan would do anything sneaky like that, then they'd destroy the entire planet. Like they did. Also, mentioned in Pretense, I think, the Tollan are a peaceful people; they are not familiar with warring strategies, and probably wouldn't want to risk planning a counter-strike in case it was discovered and they were annilihated (which, I assume, they hoped they wouldn't be if they helped the Goa'uld). Also, because they're not a warring people, it seems long ago that they decided to only research into defense, not attacking, and became (not, I think, over-) confident in their defense grid.

I don't think they knew the 'secret' for the Goa'uld's new shields, SLIGHT SPOILER FOR SERPENTS VENOM (might have something to do with that they can now cloak vessels/fleets), and like Carter pointed out, it's not like the Goa'uld were going to allow them to look.

Last edited by Venus on 12-14-2001 at 03:48 PM

Old Post 12-14-2001 03:43 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

what i dont understand is, if the Tollan are such an advances race, why hasn't the Goa'uld wiped them out BEFORE this..? Even if they claim to be nuetral, or peace-loving or whatever, the Goa;uld dont seem like the kind of people to abide by the rules all that much, do they? I'm just surprised it took this long for them to be ker-splatted, i guess, or for a Goa'uld to come in and take over.

Old Post 12-14-2001 08:29 PM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

The Goa'uld were not advanced enough to hurt the tollan before this. They had those huge cannons to blow the Goa'uld out of the sky. Or did I read you question completely wrong?

Old Post 12-14-2001 08:45 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

i dunno... i dont even know what i'm talking about really.. yeah, they had defenses, but they didn't do jack when tanith came on the scene, did they? or when the Goa'uld finally decided to strike? What i mean is, if they could do what Tanith did now, back then, why didn't they? Or are they all a little too dumb and a lot too ego-tistical to think about bribing the Tollan like Tanith did...?

Old Post 12-14-2001 08:52 PM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Erm... what? If I understand you correctly JK, the Goa'uld didn't have the technology, it was only (very) recently that Tanith (or his 'master') developed shields that would defend against Tollan defences.

Old Post 12-14-2001 10:02 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

it was...? oh.. my mistake then..

Old Post 12-14-2001 10:40 PM
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Wow, it's like JK was writing in "Stream of Conscioness". What ever you write is what you are thinking. Like thoughts are not orderly their random and unorganized. If you taperecorded your thoughts they would be completely out of wack. Thats what JK's post reminded me of. I just know because we are reading a story that uses it in English class.

Old Post 12-14-2001 10:53 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffa, Kree!
it was...?

It was what?

Old Post 12-14-2001 11:58 PM
Jaffa, Kree!

it was only recently they discovered the tech to shield themselves from the Tollan defences

Old Post 12-15-2001 12:16 AM
Venus

Yeah, otherwise Heru'Ur's ha'tak wouldn't have gotten blown up in Pretense etc etc...

Old Post 12-15-2001 12:25 PM
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

The Tollan, a race so advanced that they thought it better to enter into a submissive contract with the Goa'uld that would jeopardise their existence and that of other races, rather than chuck a bunch of transphase bombs at them. Fools.

Old Post 12-24-2001 11:55 AM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Huh? What do you mean? They haven't been at war for ages, 'cos they're peaceful (aren't they? Only into defence?) And I doubt that the Tollan could take on all the Goa'uld, so then it might be seen as taking sides. And besides, they weren't exactly sunmissive, they did destroy, or at least attempt to, every Goa'uld vessel that entered their orbit.

Old Post 12-24-2001 12:07 PM