Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Wormholes (scientific stuff)
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bnonn

Arrow Is it worth it?

quote:
Rhydderch Hael:
I thought I had explained it fairly well (why it's a "horizon" and not some plateau). Puddy wants to hurt me because I make big posts. Lee simply glosses over my writings. I just don't seem to be gettin' through to anyone.

Honestly, people. What do I look like around here, rotting flotsam?

Hael, the problem you are facing is known as dumbness. People ask a question, and for some reason they expect that the answer will be in single syllables and phrased in such a manner that they can somehow understand it without thinking. Unfortunately in matters such as this, they are required to think, and it seems they rebel against this intrinsically unnatural action and therefore either don't read your posts at all (because the "if ($post(Length) > 50) { $ignore(post); post = (post + 1); $read(post) }" function activates), or they complain that it's too complicated (because if the number of non-standard words in the post exceeds 5 or 6 it causes a buffer overflow and they stackdump).

I found your first post to be quite coherent if a little unclear, and the second one was so blindingly well-explained that a trained ape could have comprehended it (although I am not entirely objective, having been familiar with the concepts you are attempting to explain since the age of twelve or thirteen). The quote by Lee, "Ok, I didn't even bother reading that last post. I would say the event horizion is a surface, if you could have one, of the black, or in this case, worm hole. The part you would enter through to get to the worm or blackhole. The end or face of it. That help?" sums up nicely the attitude I am talking about. Basically, despite not having the faintest clue what an event horizon is, Lee decided that your post looked too long to waste his/her precious time on, and s/he would therefore spew some completely nonsensical idea into the thread that would do nothing but confuse the original poster and cause intelligent/knowledgeable people to have to respond to correct him/her.

How about this all you "it's too hard" whiners:

horizon: a distinct boundary you cannot see beyond
event: an action or occurance
event horizon: a distinct boundary that you cannot see actions or occurances beyond.

A cupboard door is an event horizon because you can't see beyond it. The spherical area approximately 20 km in diameter surrounding a black hole, from which no light can escape and therefore no events can be viewed within is an event horizon, because you can't see beyond it. The "water" of the stargate is an event horizon because you can't see beyond it! Even the horizon of the Earth is an event horizon because, God for the last time, you can't see beyond it! However, calling these things event horizons is stupid, and the term is reserved for more worthy things in astro- and quantum physics.

Kapoosh?

Oh yeah, and while I'm on a rampage (I'm really a very nice guy, honest), whoever it was that said that half the scientific terms in existence have no meaning and are just for show...garg, wash your mouth out and stop making stupid comments.

I think I can end the rant now...nothing else comes to mind.

As a disclaimer I should probably mention (this part in italics so that all you people who never read long posts will see it anyway) that I have nothing against any of you because I've never met you and probably never will, but I have a nasty headache, am tired of people expecting to have everything handed to them on a silver platter, and would like to see the end of stupidity and ignorance in my lifetime, which is not going to happen and therefore makes me pissed off sometimes.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-12-2001 08:41 AM
Bnonn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bnonn Click here to Send Bnonn a Private Message Visit Bnonn's homepage! Find more posts by Bnonn Add Bnonn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Bnonn, if you're gonna bitch about everyone, wouldn't it be better to pm Hael and do it privately? I agree it might not have been a significant question, but what you don't seem to have understood (and yet witness me not calling you "dumb"!) is it was a question of linguistics, not science. I do read long posts, even write them occasionally, and besides, it's quality not quantity.

Like you pointed out yourself, you already know stuff about science/astrology/astrophysics or whatever, I don't, which is why I wouldn't ask questions I wouldn't understand the answers to (well, I wouldn't here anyway!)

I understand what an event horizon *is* I just wondered idly why the word horizon was used; your cupboard door/horizon example doesn't answer my question (and yet do I yell at everyone?!).

And (I know this is petty, but while we're.. I'm... on about ling and lang) what's "kapoosh" about?! Isn't it capiche or even comprendes?

Yes, I can believe you might be a nice guy, but you should get used to people on the net having slightly different attitudes to you, and should get some patience. I have nothing against you (either), I'm just pointing out you shouldn't get in such a stress, when it appears to me that you have misunderstood my question. And besides, like you said, you don't know me at all, so you don't know if I'm a straight A student (which I won't confirm or deny )or live off the streets (which I will deny!) or what my life's about, so I don't know what you're talking about silver platters for.... Unless it's to get me started on the monarchy....

Last edited by Venus on 12-12-2001 at 01:13 PM

Old Post 12-12-2001 01:10 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

Re: Is it worth it?

quote:
Originally posted by Bnonn
Oh yeah, and while I'm on a rampage (I'm really a very nice guy, honest), whoever it was that said that half the scientific terms in existence have no meaning and are just for show...garg, wash your mouth out and stop making stupid comments.

it was a bloody joke, jeez dude, chill out a bit

i actually got high marks in my GCSE physics, so i do understand some of what is being said, but i'm extremely dumb at maths, etc, and all other scientific-stuff...

i scan most long posts, not because i don't want to waste my time, but because i don't take stargate seriously enough to compare the "science" they talk about to real life scientific stuff we know about. as a media student (and writer myself) i know that scientific facts are altered in the name of making something exciting, so i don't even bother to try to explain how the stargate system works.

on the other hand, i have nothing against those who do. you, hael, lee and (dare i say it) the doc all seem to have bigger intellects for this sort of thing then me, so i leave all the scientific theory things up to you guys.

there we go then, that's my rant over and done with

Old Post 12-12-2001 06:09 PM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Thanks for the compliment Ash, maybe it will help bump up my spirits with exams coming up. I'm very nervious, thanks again.

Old Post 12-12-2001 06:47 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Well, it appears we have a new Goa'uld on the boards.... Who has a lot more to say, too...

Old Post 12-12-2001 06:48 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Lee, don't mention that word! (exams *shudder)
I scan long posts for the same reason as Ash, or because I'm bored with the topic. But then I don't reply (does that make it alright for you Bnonn?) Also, Bnonn, you completely contradicted yourself in your last post.

quote:
Unfortunately in matters such as this, they are required to think

then went on to explain it quite nicely (not that Rhydderech's wasn't, I understood both of them, I'm just saying, yours was simpler).
quote:
horizon: a distinct boundary you cannot see beyond
event: an action or occurance
event horizon: a distinct boundary that you cannot see actions or occurances beyond.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 12-12-2001 08:50 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

If I may post a conjecture as to the reason that EM waves can pass through the Stargate both ways, but light in the form of an image apparently doesnt. Well, I believe it does and the light patterns you see on the surface of the event horizon are just that. They are light, but all EM gets distorted by a degree inversely proportional to its wavelength. This would explain why low energy/wavelength waves like radio can pass through relatively unharmed (some signal processing may be required to clean the signal up), but high frequency waves like light are distorted beyond recognition, leaving only a merged glow from the mouth of the wormhole. The same is also true of higher energy Gamma Radiation, but in this case it does not matter if it is "Focused" or not, radiation is radiation and it will kill you in high enough doses.

Old Post 12-16-2001 11:36 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

This would indicate that matter or EM waves passing through the stargate are effected by transit through the wormhole, wheras in various parts, its clearly shown that a particle/object passing through exits at the same velocity as it enters, this would imply, whether it is done intentionally by the stargate or not, that one should be able to see what is on the other side, but laa laa laa dee daa.! In essence what im saying is that regardless of what happens to the light as it is transported through the wormhole, it should somehow magically reappear at the same velocity as it entered, distortion free!
scifi scifi looks cool.

Old Post 12-16-2001 11:53 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

Interesting point. I guess that blows me out of the water. We'll just have to settle for "The Ancients got style"

Old Post 12-16-2001 11:57 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

quote:
"The Ancients got style"
I like that reason the best.

Old Post 12-17-2001 12:39 AM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

Had a crazy idea this afternoon that for certain events within a black hole/wormhole, then the event horizon is of no significance, though I need to write it up for a different thread, and I need to check something about the distances between event horizons and singularities.

Old Post 12-17-2001 06:33 PM
president doc

hmm, the event horizon is of little significance anyway, simply is the point where we cannot see beyong, id like to hear more of this thingy you are going to something or other.

Old Post 12-17-2001 07:10 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

Can anyone give me a formula for calculating the ratio of singularity mass to seperation of singularity and event horizon. I think I may have come up for some hair brained scheme to extract information from beyond an event horizon, but it depends upon the nature fo this ratio

Old Post 12-17-2001 07:37 PM
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

Hmm, looking kind of hard. I don't want to post anything till I have been able to run the numbers, and I dont think my idea would be of much use to anything but the biggest of black holes.

Old Post 12-17-2001 07:53 PM
president doc

I have no idea, although im sur it involves a square some where, these things always do lol.

Old Post 12-17-2001 08:07 PM