Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Questions on the Curse
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

quote:
Originally posted by Lee
I'm not getting phylosophical right now, I'm talking technical, physical facts. The fields were on Earth.
How do you know, with any degree of certainty whatsoever? Mr Anderson was certain he worked for a software company too, but apparently he was wrong.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 04-13-2002 10:43 AM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Lee - How can you claim to now tha Especially as a SG watcher, the planets are all so similar, and that's set in the future, so you don't know what changes might've occured.

Anyway, how can you even know what you sense is real? Actually nobody answer that, you so can't, I have Descartes and Hume behind me.

Old Post 04-13-2002 11:46 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Dont give me that descartes bull, there are six billion universes on this planet, and thats all besides the point, you could argue about there being billions of nested matrix's within matrixs, the point is mute, the point of the film is that there was just one, with fields of pods.
That was the purpose of the universe created for the movie matrix.
To say otherwise is merely being argumentative.
Descarte and Hume, with all due respect, could be a figment of your imagination.

Old Post 04-13-2002 04:50 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adonis
Nobody Listen' to Techno!

quote:
Originally posted by president doc
Descarte and Hume, with all due respect, could be a figment of your imagination.
That they "existed" - eg had bodies and were real entities outside my own thinking self, yes, that much can be brought into doubt. By your own admission though, they may be my imagination, but even if they are, the ideas presented by them are real, and logically valid. Whether they actually existed or not is not the point. Er, I think I said what I meant. Or something.

Old Post 04-14-2002 12:12 AM
Adonis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adonis Click here to Send Adonis a Private Message Find more posts by Adonis Add Adonis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
In 2 Deep
Warmaster

I have it from a VERY reliable source about what the matrix really is.

The matrix from the first film is actually not on earth, but was actually inside another matirx, just in case people ever became self aware of what happened to them and what the matrix was.

Interesting n'est pas?

History is on the move. Those who can not keep up will watch from behind. Those who stand in our way shall watch at all......

Old Post 04-14-2002 12:23 PM
In 2 Deep is offline Click Here to See the Profile for In 2 Deep Click here to Send In 2 Deep a Private Message Find more posts by In 2 Deep Add In 2 Deep to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

quote:
Originally posted by Adonis
That they "existed" - eg had bodies and were real entities outside my own thinking self, yes, that much can be brought into doubt. By your own admission though, they may be my imagination, but even if they are, the ideas presented by them are real, and logically valid. Whether they actually existed or not is not the point. Er, I think I said what I meant. Or something.

and thus you prove my point, it being that you could argue to death about things being imaginary, however,we live within the limits of our perception.
To all intents and purposes, there may be things outside of that, but it doesnt effect us, we have to deal with what is in our reality, and we do that by using our senses to determine what the correct courses of actions to take within that universe are.
Either that or descartes and humes ideas were crap as they are all in my imagination and about a fake universe.

Old Post 04-14-2002 02:05 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

The Matrix roxxors my soxxors, that's all I know.

Old Post 04-14-2002 04:52 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
In 2 Deep
Warmaster

Anyone want to place bets on how long before this topic is locked for being 'off topic'?

My guess tueday afternoon.

History is on the move. Those who can not keep up will watch from behind. Those who stand in our way shall watch at all......

Old Post 04-14-2002 05:46 PM
In 2 Deep is offline Click Here to See the Profile for In 2 Deep Click here to Send In 2 Deep a Private Message Find more posts by In 2 Deep Add In 2 Deep to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adonis

quote:
Originally posted by president doc

and thus you prove my point, it being that you could argue to death about things being imaginary, however,we live within the limits of our perception.
To all intents and purposes, there may be things outside of that, but it doesnt effect us, we have to deal with what is in our reality, and we do that by using our senses to determine what the correct courses of actions to take within that universe are.
Either that or descartes and humes ideas were crap as they are all in my imagination and about a fake universe.

The original argument is that the Matrix Neo woke up from was the last one. He trusted his senses when he was in the Matrix, and later found them to be entirely deceptive. Why then does everyone rush to assume that they are now suddenly crystal clear and true? He could be living in a Matrix in a Matrix in a Matrix. Whether Descartes and Hume existed is again completely irrelevant. There are innate ideas presented by them that do not require the existence of Descartes and Hume to continue existing or to be valid. I should stop this cause I have no idea what my point is anymore.

Old Post 04-14-2002 06:46 PM
Adonis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adonis Click here to Send Adonis a Private Message Find more posts by Adonis Add Adonis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Good point, can a mod split this thread, cos it's a interesting discussion?

Old Post 04-14-2002 09:16 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
O'Neill
Spam King since 1983.

Yes please do! Split it and then fire it into hell with all the other crap "movies".

Old Post 04-16-2002 06:44 AM
O'Neill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for O'Neill Click here to Send O'Neill a Private Message Find more posts by O'Neill Add O'Neill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Well, apparently not then ... So, guess we're trapped inside the Matrix.

Old Post 05-10-2002 07:44 PM
Adonis

Perhaps you should PM a mod and ask nicely. This discussion reminds me of another I had elsewhere once. If the mod does not wish to act, you may also wish to start a thread yourself. I would love to participate in the debate.

Old Post 05-11-2002 06:12 PM
Venus

I hate starting new threads. OK, next mods I encounter on my travels, I'll ask nicely.

Old Post 05-11-2002 07:46 PM