Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > The Warrior (Yes there will be spoilers)
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Venus

Not to start the debate all over again, but...

quote:
Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
If that ain't a weapon designed to intimdate instead of to being a crushing, no-nonsense weapon of destruction, I don't know what is.

The bottom line is, Goa'uld's have literally, galactic empires, so whatever their weapons or fighting strategies, they can't be that bad... Unless we can blame this on the writers not thinking stuff thru again....

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 01-18-2002 07:11 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Is it just me, or does jacks constant witticisms start to get tiring? I mean, I laughed when he did the tounge magnifying thing, and I suppose that its entertaining, but this seems to have beocome the jack happy hour every week, it started off small, but the guy plays really dumb every week, and considering that special forces are the best of the best, and probably are fluent in at least a couple of other languages and a field of expertise, not to mention other things, It just seems .... well, false! I suppose jack does play dumb in character, but occasionally, the wasy the writers do it, it gets annoying when hes like

"uh, carter, whats a nintendo? doohickey? why are bannanas yellow? where do babies come from?...woah woah woah, slow down there nerd girl, im only second in command of the SGC, im not that intelligent."

Old Post 01-18-2002 09:31 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shadow Guyver
"You will never win!"

To be honest, that was the first time I saw fighting like that in Stargate SG1. I think they called it Caporeia(forgive the spelling, it's probs wrong) Those guys are well trained.

Old Post 01-18-2002 09:34 AM
Shadow Guyver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow Guyver Click here to Send Shadow Guyver a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow Guyver Add Shadow Guyver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I tink they should just slip in something like when Daniels trying to translate something, and its like based on French, or whatever languages most Americans learn (spanish?), and he's muttering it saying "it sounds so familiar (to s/thing in Spanish/french)", and then Jack goes casualy... "Oh, it means X, doesn't it?" If ya get that. It'd be amusing. In my head anyway.

Old Post 01-18-2002 04:01 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Re: Not to start the debate all over again, but...

quote:
Originally posted by Venus

The bottom line is, Goa'uld's have literally, galactic empires, so whatever their weapons or fighting strategies, they can't be that bad... Unless we can blame this on the writers not thinking stuff thru again....

I'll grant you this, that the Goa'uld weaponry are not pieces of junk, nor have the result the Goa'uld have achieve can be laughed off with the wave of a Tau'ri hand. But their tactics and disciplines are derived from ancient methods of waging war as well. The goal of the Jaffa is to dominate lesser cultures, not to eradicate them.

On Earth, the human drive to inflict as much casualties as efficiently as possible has evolved battle techniques along a different line. The rise of industrialization gave birth to a far different method of fighting wars, as the First World War will attest to.

In short, as advanced in the technologies as the Jaffa may be, that does not automatically make them superior. The tactics and war philosophies between the Jaffa and the Tau'ri are significantly different enough that one cannot be equated with the other, and this would offset any technical advantages.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 01-18-2002 04:48 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I can go with that.

Old Post 01-18-2002 04:50 PM
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

In Fail Safe Jack began to act up a little bit. We all know that he is not dumb right. He pretends like he is dumber than he is. I believe that the writers are deliberately writing Jack this way. This will eventually result in a dramatic change of character by the time the last two episodes in the 5th season are aired. I believe we will see a change in Jack in the last two episodes because of the sudden departure of Daniel Jackson. Both characters have always had a difference of opinion in each other, however we do know this and we do know that they have respect for each other. Don't be too hard on Jack right now. Any respect you did have for him that was now gone, may well return in the final two episodes...well, it better.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 01-18-2002 05:02 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

right, so Ill have as much respect for him then as Ihave now naa, hes a top bloke, the character that is, but, it just seemed to get... quite apparant, not that i dont like it, but... i dunno, they just cant keep up that level of dumbness and stupid actions in every episode from here one, can they? Id say everyotehr episode would be ok

Old Post 01-18-2002 06:54 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Exactly Doc. You hit the nail on the head there. He doesn't always act dumb in every episode. In Fact, he wasn't really dumb in The Warrior. he was actually quite smart. He knew that something was up with Kytano. It was actually in the later episode, Menace, in whcih he dumbed down a bit. Towards the end of Menace he became a little bit more serious, although he was called a stupid son of a bitch.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 01-18-2002 08:24 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana
In Fact, he wasn't really dumb in The Warrior. he was actually quite smart.

See, I saw that, and figured it was because in tactics and stuff, thats his forte. Whereas technology and languages isn't his strong point, so he usually just... makes it balatantly obvious.

Old Post 01-18-2002 09:25 PM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

I'd just absolutely fall on the floor laughing if, in an episode set in the future, we see Ambassador Jack O'Neill conducting trade agreements and treaties of alliance.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 01-18-2002 09:40 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

This rebel army of Jaffa had given Teal'c and Bray'tac everything that they had hoped for. The idea that Jaffa whom had previously served under differing and possibly rival System Lords would abandon their old banners and unite for a common cause?their freedom?was a utopia of what Teal'c had been fighting for all this time.

Teal'c may consider Jack and the gang good friends. He is no doubt grateful and appreciative for all that the Tau'ri have done and the freedom that they represent. But Teal'c is not of the Tau'ri. Never has. Never will. Teal'c knows that his people are the Jaffa, and it is for them that he fights. He's never made that a secret. He values freedom, and he wants to bring that freedom to his people. When this oppurtunity arose, I could see as to how Teal'c thought his days of being a Tau'ri warrior were over, and his days as a Jaffa freedom fighter had now truly begun.

Consider this: in how many episodes in all these five years have you seen Teal'c with a smile on his face that lasted for more than five seconds? Here, he was making speeches with a silly grin on his mug!

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 01-18-2002 at 10:18 PM

Old Post 01-18-2002 10:13 PM
Goa`uld
Descended God

Awesome episode. Truly awesome. I picked the guy was a Goa'uld right near the start... but then started thinking he was just a Jaffa who had watched his God too much, after all the talk about him wanting power. It just seemed too obvious to make him a Goa'uld. It would have been more interesting to really see a Jaffa turn into a God, like the Captain Hansen did in "The First Commandment". Just to prove the Jaffa aren't as immune to the lust of power as Teal'C says they are.

Anyone notice Bra'tac is getting older? I am convinced they did a make-up job on Amendola to make him look older and older, because he still looked reasonably young when they did the flashback episode into the days when he was first prime.

I see they are advertising the fn p90 again. I swear that one scene where they demonstrated the power of a p90 against a staff weapon (a weapon of the gods, of all things) was worse than any infomercial I ever saw. I hope it comes with a set of free jaffa ceremonial knives.

Lord Yu surprises us by sending one of his enemies to thwart the attempts of another. Nice going Yu. He's one of the smartest guys out there.

It was a good episode to also learn about the Jaffa lifestyle, their values, and their kungfu shiznit. A lot of that going on isn't there? Niirti was a ninja in one episode, Yu did this wicked karate move on Osiris in another episode, and now we have a bunch of Jet Li wannabe Jaffa. Can this TV series get any cooler?

The title of this episode makes me wonder who the true warrior in this episode was. Obivously Imhotep was the focal warrior of this show, but Teal'C, Daniel, Bra'tac, Jack, and Yu also came off as warriors, whether noble, or true to themselves, to add to this stunning episode.

Excellent stuff. Very entertaining. Very important to the stargate plot.

I almost find it hard to believe this episode was written by Christopher Judge.

Old Post 01-19-2002 12:07 PM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Goa'uld made a post on the subject of the P90. He said that the show appears to be doing some kind of product placement gig with the P90. H pointed out on how they always brought up the fact that they used P90's. Ever since Goa'uld told us this I've been noticing the P90 references as well. They do it quite often in the show. I noticed it a lot in S5.

"Actually it's a P90"-Jack in Prodigy
"Feel the wieght of that sucker"-Jack handing the P90 to Colonel Zhukov in The Tomb.

Perhaps it's just an In-Joke or reference that the writers like to dow. I've not heard any Wizard of Oz references in a while, methinks?? The Wizard of Oz was referenced heavy in Stargate.

Old Post 01-19-2002 01:35 PM
Tiger

Not bad not great. I thought the jaffa leader was just power mad, but Teal'c and Bray'Tac were persuaded far to easily to follow this guy. there should have been a bit more shades of grey on at least Teal'c s part.

the one issue I kept wondering about was where would they replentish their 'junior' goa'uld? They didn't seem the least bit worried about this --- weapons, food etc., but no baby goa'uld.

I thought both the guy who played the leader and Racnor(?) were very good. The matrix, crouching goa'uld stuff was ok, but I could have lived without it. Perhaps its more impressive over the tube instead of a 2X2 computer screen.

Old Post 01-19-2002 03:40 PM
Tiger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tiger Click here to Send Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by Tiger Add Tiger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote