Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Emancipation
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

Emancipation

Why was Sam acting so stupidly in Emancipation? She's a prisoner of a man who has absolute power over her and she keeps flapping her pie hole about her lack of 'domestic virtues'. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't try to antagonize a man who could have you killed.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-30-2001 02:55 PM
JoJo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoJo Click here to Send JoJo a Private Message Visit JoJo's homepage! Find more posts by JoJo Add JoJo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

Hmm, man can kill you. Be nice to said man.

Old Post 12-30-2001 03:33 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

Precisely, instead "Ms. Brilliant" flaps her yap about how much contempt she has for 'woman's work' to a guy who could kill her with impunity. Not exactly professional.

Also, she suddenly turns out to be an expert on Botany and is such a skilled warrior she can easily defeat a guy twice her size despite the fact that there is no substitute for muscle. Were they trying to make the character unbelievable?

Old Post 12-30-2001 08:20 PM
JoJo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoJo Click here to Send JoJo a Private Message Visit JoJo's homepage! Find more posts by JoJo Add JoJo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sailfin
Dragon Lady

such a skilled warrior she can easily defeat a guy twice her size despite the fact that there is no substitute for muscle. Were they trying to make the character unbelievable?

I don't agree with what you are saying and especially with the part about defending herself from a man twice her size. This is not necessary so, my sister is a black belt in martial arts and is not very tall, but she can defend herself against men bigger than her and has won many fights. (Muscle is a bonus but isn't essential)

Old Post 12-30-2001 08:31 PM
sailfin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sailfin Click here to Send sailfin a Private Message Visit sailfin's homepage! Find more posts by sailfin Add sailfin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

now heres the kicker,
martial arts is all well and good, but in a real situation, unless you are VERY good, there is no substitute for a big muscly guy going beserk, sure you could hurt him, but in the end, the guy just needs to shrug off a couple of painfull kicks, and tear off said defendents head...or something just as violent. In the heat of the moment, kung fu aint gonna make much of a difference against overwhelming brute force..in most scenarios.

Old Post 12-30-2001 09:00 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sailfin
Dragon Lady

nothing that a good kick in the NUTS would cure!!! LOL

Old Post 12-30-2001 09:05 PM
sailfin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sailfin Click here to Send sailfin a Private Message Visit sailfin's homepage! Find more posts by sailfin Add sailfin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

It would be out of Sams Character to just sit there and do nothing. If Sam were living in the 1900's and were living in England she would have been a part of the Suffragette Movement. Emancipation does not come easy.

Martial arts can help you fight stronger men. She never really fought him did she? I'm not too sure, but I thought really she just defended herslef and retaliated when possible. The cheiftan did all the attacking. Over confidence was his weakness. Samantha had good style.

Jojo, are you anti Shipper or just Anti Sam?

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 12-30-2001 09:10 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Lol, I was wondering when you'd get to this eppy!

I don't understand why she didn't fight dirty, if that was me there would be hair-pulling, eye-scratching and swift kicks to the groin a-plenty.

Her training woud have been with and against bigger, muscley men so she'd be used to fighting them anyway.

Old Post 12-30-2001 09:14 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

I remember that when the first few episodes aired Amanda Tapping complained that she was being portrayed in a bad way, like she was always trying to be one of the guys. This episode was an example of this. I don't think that the writers were wrong to make a few episodes that seemed to dwell on the fact that Sam was a lone woman. It meant they dealt with the issue early on and could get it over and done with.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 12-30-2001 09:22 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

It's not that I'm so much anti-Sam, it's just that with a little thought, the writers could have made the character so much more believable. As it is, she's too perfect. She can solve every problem, every guy she meets falls madly in love, she can pound the crap out of a guy twice her size with ease, and I don't think that a woman would be on a first contact team in the first place. That much perfection really started to bug me ever since I began writing fanfic and really analyzed the characters and situations. Apparently even AT feels the character is 'too perfect' (I forget which site I found that nugget of information on.) She'd be a lot more interesting if she made a mistake once in a while.

It would have been much more believable if TBTB had had her working out of the SGC base with occasional trips through the gate. She still could have had a major role, and been fairly plausible.

Old Post 12-30-2001 09:23 PM
president doc

lol, yes, someone of her frame would most definitely be hardcore military material. god, she looks like shed break when she goes to lift up a spoon of blue jelly

Old Post 12-30-2001 09:24 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

I think in some cases they've tried to make her not "as" perfect. For example, She felt a little useless in The Other Side when she discovered that three people had been bugs on the Iris. She didn't solve the problem with Teal'c in 48 hours all by herslf and she sure as hell didn't fall in love with that Weird Quentin Tarantino lookalike in 48 hours. Funnily enough in 48 Hours it was more about the means of helping Teal'c that really solved the problem in 48 hours.

Old Post 12-30-2001 09:30 PM
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

I haven't seen 48 hours yet, Showtime won't run the episodes until February(!!).

It would be good to see a less perfect Sam.

As for the shipper aspect, are we supposed to believe she and Jack would wait years for each other. They should put their lives on hold for possibly a decade? That doesn't seem emotionally healthy to me. It would be far healthier if they would either decide to get over their feelings for each other, or one should retire or transfer out. Either way resolve the situation.

Old Post 12-30-2001 09:40 PM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Friggin' please...

This "muscle beats skill" mentality makes me think that those who say it haven't really studied a martial art at all. Next thing you'll tell me is that medieval knights never studied how to fight with a sword?they just stood face to face and whacked at each other's blades as hard as they could until the stonger man sliced his opponent's sword in half and cleaved open his armor...

You seem to be forgetting one very important aspect about the final fight?Sam had laid that guy out on the ground, but even then I'll admit that she would not have had the physical strength to actually hold him down. The trick is, the chieftan wasn't even going to attempt to struggle. Why? He had a friggin' knife against his throat!!!

It was a knife fight, you idiots?not a fist fight! What is muscle going to do against steel!?

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-30-2001 10:18 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sailfin
Dragon Lady

Well said!!!!!

I totally agree with you.

Old Post 12-30-2001 10:21 PM