Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > 606 - Abyss Thoughts and opinions
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lnt.kaos
Grrrrrr!

606 - Abyss Thoughts and opinions

BTW THIS THREAD IS FULL OFF SPOILERS FOR SEASON 6(well Duh!)

This ep is has much of the feeling and emotion that meridan had to it, wether it was because of daniel jacksons return or just because the music was almost identical i don't really know.

The plot
The plot of this ep obviously revolves around jack's torture and daniels efforts to help him, but it struck me at the end that daniel surved no real perpose in this ep really, (think about it what did he accualy do to help?) but saying that the ep would have fallen apart without him. I think that the writers the writers have resolved the two issues(Jack's symbote and what happend to daniel) quite well but if they had put more effort into it they could have come up with a much better story

Bit's I liked
Daniel's nice jumper, i wonder why out of any appernce he wanted to look like he chose that nice jumper, it makes you think, i also liked the gou'ald (can't remeber his name) i think he was the best gou'ald on sg1 i don't know why.

Bits i Didn't like
What was the point of that whole changing graverty thing? i mean the place were jack was being held was ment to be a reasearch center into gravity genaraion but don't the gou'ald already have gravity genartors i mean how do the stay stuck to the floor on there mother ships

Error
I spoted an error in this ep at the star when jack first wakes up from the sargothaus(sp?) there's a shot of him lying there with knife marks in his shirt before the touture starts

JD

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 10-23-2002 08:47 PM
Lnt.kaos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lnt.kaos Click here to Send Lnt.kaos a Private Message Find more posts by Lnt.kaos Add Lnt.kaos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andrea-T
Chocaholic

loved the episode
Daniels return was way cool
The interaction between him and Jack was as spot on as ever!!!!!
WHY DID HE LEAVE?????????????????

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Old Post 10-23-2002 09:27 PM
Andrea-T is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andrea-T Click here to Send Andrea-T a Private Message Find more posts by Andrea-T Add Andrea-T to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D?W?R
1st Prime of Apophis

Daniel or Michael

well Michael wanted to pursue other projects
that is why Daniel got radiation poisoning

Old Post 10-23-2002 10:10 PM
D?W?R is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D?W?R Click here to Send D?W?R a Private Message Find more posts by D?W?R Add D?W?R to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blue Genes

Your error's not really an error mate. The first time we see Jack being tortured is NOT the first time Ba'al (that was his name right?) actually tortured him. He was simply waking up from being tortured before. We're led to believe it was an ongoing process in breaking him down. You think Jack would've been ready to talk after 2 or 3 attempts on Ba'al's part? Heck no.

And Daniel served a pivotal role in the ep itself. If anything it speaks volumes of the kind of friendship shared by both Jack and himself. And Daniel wasn't just there to hold his hand either.

Am I the only one left thinking Daniel did find a way to intervene indirectly? He returned to Jack saying there was something he'd had to do and he wouldn't leave again. In the scene before, we see Teal'c have his little 'epiphany' of an idea to rescue Jack. Daniel's help?

And I don't suppose there are copies of the music from eps like this kickin' around without the scene playing over them are there? I totally love Daniel's theme and would prize a copy v. highly. The Jack & Sam theme too.

Blue Genes' Blog

Old Post 10-24-2002 07:46 PM
Blue Genes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Genes Click here to Send Blue Genes a Private Message Visit Blue Genes's homepage! Find more posts by Blue Genes Add Blue Genes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonas

Personally I don't think Daniel prompted Teal'c at all. Daniel was quite adamant that being of the form he is he could never intervene. I don't think he'd break any rules then; yes we'd all like to think he would come through for Jack, however I don't see it.

I think the writers deliberately left that part open to speculation so that we fans could see it anyway we wanted. As to where Daniel went I have no idea; perhaps he just had to go somewhere unrelated?

Overall a good, albeit slow, episode in my opinion. I have one question though, what was with that Lotac(??) woman wisping around like a ghost? I mean, she is a 'human' slave, not some mythical character. Perhaps what we saw (her wisping around) was Jack's delusions/memories only? Anybody have a comment?

Old Post 10-24-2002 08:16 PM
Jonas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonas Click here to Send Jonas a Private Message Find more posts by Jonas Add Jonas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blue Genes

Somewhere unrelated would drag him away from his best friend's side as he faced down death alone? He even made it abundantly clear that he wouldn't leave him again...Daniel knew how important it was that he stay there with him. I get open to speculation, but I just don't buy that Danny would leave for anything less than...well anything!

Blue Genes' Blog

Old Post 10-24-2002 08:28 PM
Blue Genes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Genes Click here to Send Blue Genes a Private Message Visit Blue Genes's homepage! Find more posts by Blue Genes Add Blue Genes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

I think you're underestimating exactly what Daniel 'became'. Yes, while his best friend might be a sore point and he'd want to help, he's merely a speck of dust in the grand scheme and greater beings that Daniel is now a part of. Jack is trivial. something to take care of in his spare time.

Old Post 10-25-2002 01:07 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonas

Yes as Jaffa, Kree! explains, this is exactly what I was referring to. Daniel is no longer a part of SG1, his priorities have changed; there are grander things to attend to.

I don't think anyone is denying how incredibly hard it may have been for Daniel to be unable to assist Jack however.

I remember reading a thread here a while back before I joined, and was lurking in the background; something about what were Jack and Daniel referring to in that episode??? Jack kept asking him to "do it" and Daniel kept saying "not like this" or something. Did anybody ever conclude what exactly they meant?

Old Post 10-25-2002 02:32 AM
Jonas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonas Click here to Send Jonas a Private Message Find more posts by Jonas Add Jonas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

i think it was to either kill him, or ascend him or something.

Old Post 10-25-2002 03:22 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonas

Not to be argumentative, but I thought that if Jack died or was killed then Baal would just bring him back again anyway. And that Jack didn't want to ascend. Oh, I guess it's just one of those ambiguous moments the producers put in to keep us fans on our toes. (Like the looks between Kurt Russell Jack and Skaara)

Old Post 10-25-2002 03:50 AM
Tupat
Fruit Loop

Great episode but I felt slightly cheated in that we should have,
seen how Jack escaped. Also how could he recover so quickly,
I can't imagine anyone getting over events like this as soon as ,
he appears to have. Should have been a two-parter.

Old Post 10-25-2002 04:06 AM
Tupat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tupat Click here to Send Tupat a Private Message Find more posts by Tupat Add Tupat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MajorSam
The Bad Girl

i watched it in HORRIBLE resolution, and it may be me, but i didn't really get it. it was kinda strange. i've watched it three times only, but i think it's getting clearer the more i watch it...(duh)
but ya, gets better as i go on.
Can't wait for it on t.v!

BSF
HRADP!!!

Old Post 10-25-2002 04:12 AM
MajorSam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MajorSam Click here to Send MajorSam a Private Message Find more posts by MajorSam Add MajorSam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonas

I think we were meant to believe that he was only suffering mentally. The sarc revived his body so it would have been in perfect condition. Just he was beginning to crack under the thought of never getting out. So as soon as he realised he had a chance to escape the adrenalin took over; he karate-chopped all the guards and made for the gate. But, yes I agree, it did finish quite quickly considering the torture scenes were drawn out; like they ran out of time and suddenly realised he hadn't escaped or something.

Old Post 10-25-2002 04:15 AM
shiloh
Radix lecti

There was a whole lot of discussion about Abyss back in July

http://archive.gaters.net/2001-2003...=&threadid=2095

I think Daniel did give a hint to Teal'c. I think that little smile he gives when he says to Jack 'there was something I had to do, but I'm back now, and this'll all be over soon'..... I think the ascension rules prohibit him from acting directly but getting someone else to act --- sneaky way to help Jack without actually interferring himself.

Old Post 10-25-2002 04:30 AM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonas

I just re-read all that discussion, and it was never decided amongst us what actually happened with Teal'c getting the idea. Although someone did raise a good point; Oma Desala is an outcast (broke laws) so her assisting Daniel might also have made him an outcast too - in which case he would be free to do whatever he wanted to interfere.

Then again, perhaps Oma Desala is no longer an outcast? Ahh, circular reasoning can be difficult but boring.

Old Post 10-25-2002 05:25 AM